• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking at trading off my Area419 for fixed muzzle device

jb0311

Professional Button Pusher
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2019
    NC
    EDITED TO ADD: This IS NOT a for sale attempt. Any offers to buy or trade will be deleted. Simply looking for opinions.

As the title reads, I am considering offloading all of my Area 419 Hellfire mounts, brakes, and thread protectors and going with a system like the DA Xeno or Rearden where I can leave the muzzle device on. The main reason is I'd like the transition from shooting unsuppressed to suppressed to be a little more seamless, meaning not keeping up with the amount of loose parts (brakes and thread protectors). I like the idea of just being able to slap the suppressor on and go, or the reverse of that.

My question, for those of you who have either run these systems, especially if you have ran both the Hellfire and Rearden, did you find you preferred on over the other? My main criteria beyond the (albeit small) convenience mentioned above is minimal added weight/length penalty and repeatable poi shift.

I've also never ran a cherry bomb style brake and don't know how it compares to a side ported brake like the Rearden SPB. I was planning on running flash hiders on my .223 gas guns (16" & 10.5" SBR) and brakes on my 6.8spc gas guns (16" and 12.5" SBR) and brakes on my bolt rifles up to 300WM. Most of my rifles are gas, and I run mostly suppressed

My suppressors are all DA Nomads but I only have 2 at the moment so they do get whored around a bit. I do not plan on finding myself in a situation where I am not allowed to use a suppressor, so I'm not as concerned with the Hellfire being a better brake as much as I am concerned with the repeatability and size/weight penalty. The length and weight factor is why i'm not considering the KeyMo.

Just wanted to get some opinions as completely changing my mounting system will not be cheap, but if I'm gonna do it I'd prefer to do it before continuing to add suppressors and rifles to my collection.

Last edited:
    I haven't run Rearden... but I've had ASR, Dead Air KeyMo, Rugged, etc.

IMHO, those systems are all really designed around the AR platform... and the brakes just aren't as effective as the Area 419 for precision rifle type shooting

Area 419 also has the best (that I know of) compatibility with many different suppressors.

It's basically the only system that allows me to have a best-in-class muzzle brake when I want it, and also let's me pretty easily swap to using a can... and has support for all the various brands I've bought over the years.

Reactions: jb0311
    I haven't run Rearden... but I've had ASR, Dead Air KeyMo, Rugged, etc.

IMHO, those systems are all really designed around the AR platform... and the brakes just aren't as effective as the Area 419 for precision rifle type shooting

Area 419 also has the best (that I know of) compatibility with many different suppressors.

It's basically the only system that allows me to have a best-in-class muzzle brake when I want it, and also let's me pretty easily swap to using a can... and has support for all the various brands I've bought over the years.
    I definitely get that. 80% of my rifles are in AR platforms which is part of the reason I’m considering the move. The rare occasion where I use a bolt gun without a suppressor on it just hasn’t justified staying with the hellfire brakes, in my mind at least. I have no complaints with that system, I’m just thinking based on my use I would be better served with a Rearden or Xeno system instead. If/when I add more suppressors to my collection I could always dedicate one to my bolt guns and use the hellfire system on that.
    Appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers