• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking @ doin a build..thoughts?

customgun1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
arkansas
have started going to Indiana every year deer hunting, per Indiana dnr you have to use a straight wall cased cartridge 1.8 inch or less, muzzleloader or a shotgun during rifle season, I am a fan of the 44 caliber rounds and was trying to maximize velocity and energy so I got to looking, sounds crazy but what are yalls thoughts on taking a 444marlin case (2.10)in and cutting it down to 1.8 which would make it in between a 445 supermag and a 444 marlin, and would like to do this on a bolt action rifle with a Remington 700 wsm action...thoughts? or other calibers, not much of a shot gun hunter and like the capability of fast follow up shots

Re: looking @ doin a build..thoughts?

You might want to make some calls (if you have not already done so) and make sure you can use pistol cartridges in a rifle configuration. Also if the 1.8" is case length or COAL. Here in Ohio you can use pistol or shotgun but not pistol in a rifle configuration.

If all that checks out I would say keep it simple and get something off the shelf (44Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull ect) instead of having to make up some reamer and brass. There are many proven and powerful handgun cartridges already out there. .02

I don't know anything about Indiana's regs and am not going to bother to look them up, but can you use slugs in a shotgun there?

If so, savage 220 and don't look back. I started hunting with one in a "shotgun only" county in Virginia and it's awesome. 3 shots into just over an inch at 100 yards with remington 2.75" accutips. Killed two does with it on Saturday. Savage 110 action with accutrigger and a two round magazine for follow up shots.

Not sure how much you've research your project but I remember a while back folks talking about necking up a 25 wssm case to 35 cal and coming up with a 35 wssm to abide by Indiana regs. Here are a couple links that may help:

http://www.huntingindiana.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=guns&action=display&thread=38203

http://www.huntingindiana.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=guns&action=display&thread=38947

I know its not .44 cal but didn't know how set you were on .44. Getting enough energy could equate to needing/wanting a fatter casing and that is where the WSSMs come into play.

inode, from what I understand your not allowed to use wssm from talking to Indiana dnr, it must be a straight walled case, everyone else the case length must not be longer than 1.8, which is why I am considering doing this a 44mag is only like 1.285 so by doing what I am wanting to do I would be adding alittle over 1/2 and inch to a 44mag, adding more velocity and energy, the only pistol case that I know is 1.8 is the 460 s&w, and you cant by that in a rifle as a repeater due to the extreme pressure this case produces when fired...

just got off the phone with Indiana dnr again, talked to someone different and they said you can use a necked cartridge aslong as it was 1.8 or shorter...I have some thinging to do...not real familiar with wssm cartridges...do they have one in a 30 caliber?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Henry. </div></div>

That thing in 44mag sure seems like a winner.

How about a shortened 458 WM

I own both a 357 and 44 mag in a marlin, but I don't think it has enough velocity or energy past 200 yrds, what I want to build I think will run at about 2100 fps and 2100 fpe, and I think it will carry enough energy at 200-300 yrds...I could be wrong...as far as the 458 that shell casing is too long

That's why I suggested shortening it. That would be an easy setup to make run.

Ruger Deerfield Carbine in .44 Rem Mag should do it just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coryj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If so, savage 220 and don't look back. I started hunting with one in a "shotgun only" county in Virginia and it's awesome. 3 shots into just over an inch at 100 yards with remington 2.75" accutips. </div></div>

I'd say the same thing as my experience is similar. I had mine at the range a few weeks ago and the comment I heard from the others there was, "That's a shotgun?"

some pretty gay rules. i would go the savage shotgun route as well. I've seen them at the range and they seem pretty nice.

I think the whole point of the cartridge length limitation is to limit shooting distances. I'd take the advice the regulations are trying to impart, and live with it gracefully, instead of trying to subvert it.