• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

looking for 2019 matches in Georgia

wb00757

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Dallas, Georgia
Hi All,
I really want to participate in a few matches in Georgia this next year. I have never competed in any shooting matches other than the 200yd CMP Garand matches. I am looking for something pretty novice friendly and preferably within an hour or two of Atlanta. I saw a few MPA matches in Blakely, GA. I care more about learning than the competition. If anybody has any insight or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you,
Chip

Trauma1, the only one I see is the Alabama Precision series. That looks like it might be a better option for a novice and not really any further than MPA.

Does anybody have experience in those matches?

Yes, it is great match, low key, plenty of help for anyone new to the game. Have fun.

Trauma1, the only one I see is the Alabama Precision series. That looks like it might be a better option for a novice and not really any further than MPA.

Does anybody have experience in those matches?

Alabama Precision regional"club" matches are great for new shooters. They have stages from 300 to 1200 yards and a mover. There is a nice mixture of shooters and they do their best to have at least 2 experienced shooters in every squad. They just released their schedule for 2019. Never been to MPA but they have their 2019 schedule on the website and hoping to attend a couple.

Probably the closest match to Atlanta are going to be the Wheaton Arms matches at Clinton House in Clinton, SC. I'm on the north side of the Atlanta metro area and it's about 2 1/2 hours up there. I've been to Blakely to shoot on their UKD open range days and that's about 3 1/2 hours for me. Likewise it's about 3 1/2 hours to Carbon Hill, AL for the Alabama Precision match.

Can't yet comment on the matches as I'm also hoping to shoot my first one in 2019. Alabama Precision has my interest.

Check out the Guardian Long Range match in Blakely, GA in May. 3 day event, with the first day as a full training day with Jim Gilliland, 2nd day is individual comp, 3rd day is 2 man team comp with 1st and last place teamed up and on down the line in that fashion. Prize table is mostly raffle and very novice friendly environment. I'll be there.
https://secure.ministrysync.com/ministrysync/event/?e=17082
8541Tactical does some really good AARs on these events, and Frank did a great podcast on one he went to.

Reactions: JoeM