• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Looking for .308 Hornady Precision Hunter 178gr

Dakotabob

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2018
Midwest
I shot way too much of my Hornady Precision Hunter ammo today getting ready for the hunting season, getting my zero and holdovers just right. After the range I stopped off at Scheels and Cabelas to get more and everything was completely sold out. Called both stores they have nothing in nearby stores either, everything sold out online. Kicking myself for shooting so much of my stock. If you have any boxes of the Prec hunter 178gr in 308 available please let me know I will cover shipping and your cost. Even one additional box will provide me peace of mind for the season, I’ll buy more if you have it. TY so much

Last edited:
Thanks so much svthuh for your post. I really appreciate it. Black Hills is superb. These past days I called so many stores and even spoke with Hornady customer service. Nothing is predictable during this crazy time. I got lucky and found a store about a 3hr drive from me that had 5 boxes of the Precision Hunter in .308. I bought them over the phone and will be driving to pick them up later this week. I won’t let myself get this low again just after zeroing any round right before hunting season. Thanks again svthuh, my best for your hunt this season! dbob

You’re welcome.
Might I suggest looking into reloading for future seasons? It sure helps during times like this. I was planning on hunting with precision hunter Because I’m a bit low on VARGET, and just decided to buy some projectiles and reload for this season because they are nowhere to be found. Grabbed a box of Sierra 165gr gamechangers and worked up a load and it’s shooting .75” groups.
Good luck for your season as well!

Thanks svthuh, you’re 100% right about the importance and art of reloading. One of my friends who reloads recommended that I start by purchasing the Dillon RL 550C. I am intimidated by the price of admission, not to mention general concern re my own ability. Similar to my hope to try putting together my own Proof/Bighorn precision rifle with action wrench, barrel vice etc. Not yet feeling ready to trust myself with possibly screwing it all up! But...hoping to continue studying so that I can build one of these (6.5PRC/300PRC) and someday shoot my own reloads.