• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for 45-70 subsonic recipe

SdotW

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2022
United States
Hello,

I purchased a 1895 Marlin Trapper and I'm looking for a subsonic recipe. I currently have the following items.

• cci Large Rifle Primers no. 200
  • Starline 45-70 brass
  • 405 grain polycoated bullets
  • IMR 4198

Does anyone know how many grains of the IMR 4198 to make this subsonic out of a 16" barrel?

Additionally, will I have to fill the 45-70 case up with something to fill the empty space because of the reduced powder load?

I can't help you too much. My 45-70 is a trapdoor so I search for loads with a very low CUP numbers, low teens if possible. I use a missouri bullet 405 and have had great luck with those.

My load is quite subsonic, and I found it over on loaddata.com. It is not that expensive and suggest taking a look at it, it is a great resource for old and outdated cartridges. Mine is a VV powder that gives me low 900fps numbers and a 13k CUP (IIRC).

Give that site a check out, I think you will find what you are looking for. IIRC it is like $30 for a year.

Reactions: SdotW
Hello,

I purchased a 1895 Marlin Trapper and I'm looking for a subsonic recipe. I currently have the following items.

• cci Large Rifle Primers no. 200
  • Starline 45-70 brass
  • 405 grain polycoated bullets
  • IMR 4198

Does anyone know how many grains of the IMR 4198 to make this subsonic out of a 16" barrel?

Additionally, will I have to fill the 45-70 case up with something to fill the empty space because of the reduced powder

I would be cautious as that powder won’t give much case fill. Lots of guys are using wads for that type of thing.

I’d run a heavier bullet. Not sure if Hornady will publish its load data for its SUBx bullet. I doubt it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 262
Lyman has a cast bullet reloading manual with trapdoor loads for imr 4198 that are subsonic. Another good powder for reduced loads is 5744.

Looking at hodgdon website. Looks like trailboss is the ticket. Let us know how it works out and what can you are using. I really want to know

Reactions: SdotW and HOOFER
Agreed with above posts. Trailboss may be the easiest way. May not even have to go super heavy on the bullet. Wont know for sure until you chrono a few.

I have used unique and trail boss with success from a 16 inch barreled encore. You may have to be careful if your pressure ceiling is for a trapdoor.

Those guys have some helpful info for loading weird stuff lol.