• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for 50bmg style muzzle brake

supersnake6

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2010
va
thinking about getting my savage 10fcp threaded for a muzzle brake.im wanting a 50 cal bmg style to fit on this gun, anyone have any sugesstions

Re: looking for 50bmg style muzzle brake

Which style? Armalite, Serbu, Barret, EDM, etc etc etc???

sorry about not being specific. i really like the looks of the barrett type muzzle brake. solid and flat on top and bottem, with the fins on the side.

personal preference comes to mind, to each their own

no ,im not posting this for a joke or laugh.i will be the first to admit i know very little about shooting past 200- 300 yards. my wife bought me a savage bvt mark2 last year and i couldnt believe the accurcy at 100yds with a 22lr. since then i bought a savage 10fcp and want to try some long range shooting. ive learned alot from this sight and you guys make it sound really fun. i have shot tactical/combat pistol most of my life and now want a new challenge. this is my first long range (lol sniper rifle). no i dont have alot of money to put into a comp rifle nor i have i got the skill to say my $3000 gun will shoot 1000yrds.i dont even think the muzzle brake will help me in any way, nor do i need it, but looking at some of the guns posted here i really like the looks. sorry for being a newb, but everyones got to start somewhere.learning is a life long experience. thanks to all that has been a help to me.

thanks badshot308, thats EXCACTLY what i was looking for. gonna see my gunsmith about threading my barrel. i dont shoot at local ranges so bothering other shooters wont be a issue, always wear hearing protection anyway. some have said i should take it off during hunting season to save my ears. do these just screw on and off.hopefully i can post some target pics in about 5 years when i get decent with this gun. bigs thanks again for the help.

I would contact Armalite about installation details. They may be timed on by machining a shoulder onto the barrel or use a crush washer or shims. Also check to see what size hole is bored in it for the bullet to pass through. See if they have a seperate muzzle brake for the .30 and the .338 calibers. Most brakes are bored around .020" over bullet diameter but Armalite may use the larger size for both calibers. A muzzle brake thats designed to be easily removed by the shooter is the Badger Ordnance FTE http://badgerordnance.com/muzzle-brakes/ It requires gunsmith installation, but it's easily removed and replaced and timed by the shooter. Whatever brake you decide on, if you're going to remove it for hunting, have your smith make a thread protector for the muzzle while he's doing the installation.

the brake is going to weigh as much as the rifle itself?

I don't think it would work to take a 50 cal brake and install it onto a 308. The brake works on directing the excess gasses in another direction. The muzzle brake on 50's have huge ports. I truely feel that it would be a wast and of no real use. Why not just do a google search for a brake that looks how you wantit to( fish gill style) and get the right size.

Armalite has them..have one on my AR30 .338, might add a bit of weight though. I know you want the "look" but also need to think in terms of it being practical as well.. my $.02

thanks for the help,didnt realize it would add that much more weight or bulk, just thought there might be a sized down version on the market.also gonna look into the badger brakes.

look into JP enterprises they make a ported brake you might like.

If I were you though invest your money in a quality scope, then match grade ammo. Once you are a proficient shooter then customize your rifle.