• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a 22

Undrgrndprdcts

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Can't find a Tikka T1X in stock anywhere right now, is there anything comparable in quality that is readily available? Threaded is a requirement.

Reactions: godofthunder
Just a word of encouragement on Tikkas... for the t1x...try local brick and mortar shop, its possible they will keep 1 unit in stock on th shelf or they keep an small inventory in the back or running backorder always to have one around. Call around, try some shops that maybe a bit far away to pop into in person, but not an unreasonable drive (like 100 mile radius).

Last edited:
I've already checked like half a dozen that are relatively close to me. I'll continue to look but would like to find something before next year.

I've already checked like half a dozen that are relatively close to me. I'll continue to look but would like to find something before next year.
No worries, I had some luck finding some inventory at a hole in the wall...(y)

Also try Bergara (steel barreled action) and/or CZ.

Can't find a Tikka T1X in stock anywhere right now, is there anything comparable in quality that is readily available? Threaded is a requirement.
Christensen Arms Ranger 22. Mine has been phenomenal. Zero feeding or ejection issues like was reported with the very first few production rifles. Since then, they have corrected the issues. Mine is also extremely accurate. It takes Ruger 10/22 mags, it's threaded, lightweight, and on the CA website you can get 20, 30, 40 MOA bases for them. I'm running a 20 on mine. It takes exactly 5 MILs to get from my 100 yard zero to my 200 yard zero with CCI SV ammo. Occasionally, if it's really cold, or the barometric pressure is low that day, it will take 5.1-5.2 MILs.

Here's my write-up & review with pics and groups.

No worries, I had some luck finding some inventory at a hole in the wall...(y)

Also try Bergara (steel barreled action) and/or CZ.
Not all CZ are 1/2x28 threads... Most are 1/2x20 (weird Euro thread pitch). So that is something you need to lookout for when buying one. If you are wanting a CZ, I'd verify and guarantee 1/2x28 on the model you are looking for.

Reactions: ma smith
Not all CZ are 1/2x28 threads... Most are 1/2x20 (weird Euro thread pitch). So that is something you need to lookout for when buying one. If you are wanting a CZ, I'd verify and guarantee 1/2x28 on the model you are looking for.
Same applies to Tikka iirc.

Thinking about picking up one of these ranger 22s tomorrow. There's a $250 rebate from CA and sportsmans warehouse has a $50 cash back deal right now. Figured you can't beat it for that price.

Reactions: FuhQ
Thinking about picking up one of these ranger 22s tomorrow. There's a $250 rebate from CA and sportsmans warehouse has a $50 cash back deal right now. Figured you can't beat it for that price.
I'm considering buying another one just to use the rebate and get one in that new camo stock. Wished I'd waited now, but I didn't forsee a year into the future, being able to get one for $550 (compared to the $800 I paid). Still might end up getting another one at that price, just to have. You can't ever have too many bolt-action .22 rifles.

I was really hoping they would drop the new Ranger 17 HMR before then, but I have a sneaking suspicion that's not going to happen. They're being stingy and doing the rebate before the drop to try to clear-out old inventory... 😤

But at that price, with the rebate, it's going to be impossible to beat the Ranger 22. And you can still afford to get you one of the 20MOA bases, and buy half of an Arken SH4 6-24x50 VPR MIL scope to go on top of it. You'll be ready for 300 yard .22 plinking.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
1/2x20 is the standard thread anywhere outside of the US.
All the European rifle manufacturers probably think 1/2x28 is a weird American thread.

It you can't get a Tikka I'd say get a CZ457.
I have a T1x and a CZ452, I like the Tikka a little more particularly find the magazines much quicker to change for comp shooting, the 60° bolt on the Tikka is far better and the safety is better on the Tikka but the 457 fixes both those issues. I had a play with a 457 in a store the other day and the trigger was a bit horrible and creepy (like the factory 452/455) but imagine you can adjust it or get a trigger kit to fix that.
The factory stock on the Tikka is better than the wooden stock in my CZ in the sense that the ergonomic are better and can change the grip but if you get something like the 457 LRP then that'll be better than the Tikka stock.

I really wish I could get a 24" 457 precision trainer with the manners stock but it's only available in the USA.
That'd be my preferred factory 22 for shooting comps, otherwise for plinking and hunting I think the Tikka is worth trying to get hold of.

These come standard with 1/2 x 28 thread barrels

Last edited:
If you are unable to locate a Tikka, then go for the CZ 457 or if you have the money and the time then go for the Vudoo 3-60. Between the 457 and T1x it's hard to go wrong, Tikka has a few more advantages if you have other Tikka's in the safe and want to swap parts around. (Similar chassis, same trigger, similar bolt placement.). Both rifles have a similar amount of aftermarket support to improve it for your purposes. Have a matching T1x and a T3x .223, built to be spitting image of each other as the .22 is the trainer. Am also currently building a 457 to make sure I am not missing anything with that platform. Prices are similar between the BMR, T1X, and 457. I do have discontinued CZ 455's and 452's, the 457 is much improved over the prior versions.

Reactions: fanninland
If you can't find a T1X, look at the Bergara BMR or B14R. I have 2 B14R they shoot great. I have seen a guy shooting the BMR, it was shoot good also. I do have a T1X also. It shoots great also. I had it in a KRG Bravo, but it is back in the factory stock, for off hand shooting.
Mark

I just got a Bergara BMR and have been very impressed with it so far. Great shooter and the magazines feed smoothly.

If you are unable to locate a Tikka, then go for the CZ 457 or if you have the money and the time then go for the Vudoo 3-60. Between the 457 and T1x it's hard to go wrong, Tikka has a few more advantages if you have other Tikka's in the safe and want to swap parts around. (Similar chassis, same trigger, similar bolt placement.). Both rifles have a similar amount of aftermarket support to improve it for your purposes. Have a matching T1x and a T3x .223, built to be spitting image of each other as the .22 is the trainer. Am also currently building a 457 to make sure I am not missing anything with that platform. Prices are similar between the BMR, T1X, and 457. I do have discontinued CZ 455's and 452's, the 457 is much improved over the prior versions.
I do have other tikkas and like them, that's why I was leaning that way.

I was considering the Bergara as well but honestly there are no Tikkas, Bergaras, or CZs in stock around me lately. Like nobody has anything even sportsmans warehouse or cabelas, or all the local guys I normally use.

I was considering the Bergara as well but honestly there are no Tikkas, Bergaras, or CZs in stock around me lately. Like nobody has anything even sportsmans warehouse or cabelas, or all the local guys I normally use.
There was a hide vendor selling bergara barreled actions on this site, although they would come in stock in batches.