• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Looking for a backpack

BuckeyePrecision

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
I hope I explain this well enough. At a match a couple of years ago another competitor had a backpack that I am trying to track down now. It was a medium sized pack that had an aluminum/plastic frame built in and a separate lower compartment that opened from the side. The lower compartment was big enough to fit a full size gamechanger and a couple of smaller bags in it. The top had two large compartments with plenty of smaller compartments on the outside. At the time I thought $200 for a pack was too much for me, but now that I am carrying more gear and doing more hiking I really want something comfortable that I can put the heaviest items down low in but not have to dig for them when I need them.

Is anyone familiar with that pack or one similar to it?

Kifaru if you want the best. Be prepared to pay though. Their frames are arguably the best on the market. I’ve carried 200lbs on them.

Reactions: Hesperidins
I hope I explain this well enough. At a match a couple of years ago another competitor had a backpack that I am trying to track down now. It was a medium sized pack that had an aluminum/plastic frame built in and a separate lower compartment that opened from the side. The lower compartment was big enough to fit a full size gamechanger and a couple of smaller bags in it. The top had two large compartments with plenty of smaller compartments on the outside. At the time I thought $200 for a pack was too much for me, but now that I am carrying more gear and doing more hiking I really want something comfortable that I can put the heaviest items down low in but not have to dig for them when I need them.

Was it something like This? Link to LA Police Gear GPS Backpack

Recommend you put the heaviest items up high and closest to your back/shoulders. Otherwise your posture will be a long term problem over the miles...
+1 And centre of mass as cloase/closer (est) to centreline will decrease moment of inertia. The more you are bobbing and weaving with that ruck on the more important it is. Easy terrain will give you more flexibility, tho.

Kifaru, mystery ranch, eberlestock is what I'd look at. Keep in mind these companies change designs often. What you saw a few years ago may not be available now.

Kifaru is hands down my favorite. Buy once, cry once. If carrying heavy loads go with the tactical frame. Have said before, carrying 100lb loads sucks the least with Kifaru. Can get different packs based on season/need to attach to the frame. Currently running the 22 mag on a tactical frame and love it. Have an EMR2 for long trips.

It is not explained well enough I’m afraid… What your describing can be anything from a airsoft backpack to a quality $700 mystery ranch.
Further more, a pack for a match and a pack for a hike can be different, unless we are just talking about day hikes. Typically speaking, most hikers are looking to be lighter not heavier.

To help narrow it further…

The top.. was it a top lid or was it just a zipper? Was it a particular color? Some companies don’t do certain patterns or like most people can recognize a stone glacier from a mile away.
Did it have a hip belt or no?
Was there a PALS or was it more like a normal pack?
Was the frame aluminum AND plastic or you’re not sure/it was one of the two?
Honestly the biggest help would be if it was a multi day pack or a 3 day pack.

Last edited:
Lots of guys have already said Kifaru and I'll put my nod to them also. They're excellent for heavy loads. I've got several bags from them. All for different purposed, all of them have held up well and take a beating.
Xdeano

EXO you can mix and match EXO and kifaru frames/bags too.

High entry price but its a buy once cry once type of thing.

Reactions: Hesperidins
After a long search, I got a Connor V2 from Hill People Gear - a CO manufacturer - and couldn’t be more satisfied with it. Excellent construction, good shoulder harness and easy to add pouch provisions inside and out

Reactions: godofthunder
+1 for Kifaru.

As of a couple of years ago, the "top three" were Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Mystery Ranch.

MR took a bit of a hit with then outsourcing some of their stuff to SE Asia.

And Seak Outside were on the up.

Exo were next rung down.

Eberlestock were far behind, if you were wanting to carry heavy loads well.

Eberlestock is no bueno with any kind of load. Exo K3 is the bomb. 90lbs is miserable with any pack but the pain won't be from the pack with Exo.

Hill People Gear, Kuiu and Eberlestock are all solid. I've used each (various models) to ruck, pack out elk and just tote gear around Disney on Vacay...

After a long search, I got a Connor V2 from Hill People Gear - a CO manufacturer - and couldn’t be more satisfied with it. Excellent construction, good shoulder harness and easy to add pouch provisions inside and out
I absolutely love my Connor V2, along with everything else from HPG I have. I even used it as a match bag the last match I was at, worked great!

Not really much help to OPs quest, but definitely take a look at the HPG packs. I won’t buy anything else when it comes to packs that need to carry a load.

Attachments

• 72F5F8D5-6CD4-4505-A7B7-C05E30EE37FB.jpeg
    72F5F8D5-6CD4-4505-A7B7-C05E30EE37FB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92