• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a backyard range shooter

Semomike

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2020
I got a 650 yard range in the backyard and have started reloading. Been shooting a POF ar style in 6.5cm but am looking for a bolt gun to step it up a little.

I’ve looked at the Savage, Ruger Precision models, but after reading threads would like to find a Bergara or Tikka chassis gun in 6.5cm.

I’ve been watching the classifieds here for a month or so, but what would be the best way to go as a starter in 6.5 creedmoor? I’ve almost pulled the trigger on a Ruger RPR, but would waiting on the right Tikka or Bergara be a better choice?

I’m already setup to reload 6.5 cm and kinda want to stick with it.

I’m looking at $2500-$3000 all in. Kinda have an Optika in mind for the scope, unless I find something better on the classifieds.

$3000?

You could get a seekins hit and have $1000 left over for scope

Also Could buy a action for $700-1300 , prefit barrel for $400-1000, trigger for $50-200, stock for $350-800

Also. Gap or Mpa etc production rifles for $2500

Last edited:
Is the ruger and/or the Savage not a good choice?
I don't own any.... but there are a lot of rifles that have come out at your price point lately .

You can pick up a Tikka , buy the chassis you want, drop in the Tikka and swap out barrels on it.

Is the ruger and/or the Savage not a good choice?

They'll shoot just fine, my savages have been as accurate as anything else. But they're not as refined. I only have one Savage left, a .223 that hangs right with my 6.5 CM with 77 SMK's to 600.

Reactions: waveslayer
That budget is enough to buy a much better gun that a Savage or RPR. Buy a scope, rings, & chassis while you look for a deal on a custom barreled action here in the px. This will minimize swapping/upgrading in the future. And if you get the right barreled action(one that accepts prefits or a legit switch-barrel) you can swap barrels to another chambering in the future

Reactions: BurtG
I just set up a bergara wilderness hmr in 6.5 creedmoor. It has what they call a #6 profile barrel, seekins rings and a meopta optika 6 5x30x56. I wanted something to just go shooting with and not be worried about it. It shoots 1/2 moa with match factory loads and so far its been fun to shoot and my kids are enjoying too.

My RPR shoots really well. For what I paid, it is hard to do better.

Problem is, as you may be aware, it's not just the rifle. It's the scope, the rings, the data card holder, the bipod, the case to keep it in, and sooner than you know it, a new barrel. And did I mention the bullets your rifle of choice prefers?

I own two precision rifles. One as mentioned is an RPR. The other is from one of the Custom Rifle builders but is a "production" model, meeting the $2500.00 price point. Still have close to 5k in that $2500 project and its second barrel is on order. (refer to second paragraph) The RPR is using a hand-me-down scope from our son and then was pretty much ready to go. I added a couple of mods, the Target Tool rear stock and a Verticle grip. Neither mod is required to go out and shoot it I just like to change things up.

Final thought, for a decent starter rifle that can be upgraded, the standard RPR is pretty good. I don't feel the Custom shop model is worth the increase in price. Especially considering it includes the standard rifle's rear stock. That stock is the weak point in the design. I upgraded to a Target Tool and never looked back.

So, the final point. The RPR is a rifle, you can go to your dealer, hand over the cash and go shoot. Others, may require upgrades or major mods even though they may be more refined, or have a wait for the rifle to be built. .

You are actually losing money by not going .223 for that range. It's fine way past your given yardage too. Build a nice one and it'll be almost your favorite.

Reactions: waveslayer
You could get a Tikka Super Varmint for $1529 (or less if you use the grabaquote).

You have a nice two stage trigger, a good stock (not that flimsier basic Tikka one) and an included steel pic rail. I took off the front wide black forend piece so to have skinnier forend.

I bought a .223 from my LGS because they include a lifetime warranty (saved my ass a couple times). Prefits are available for Tikkas, just like for some customs.

The super varmint is a really nice gun and I’m selling my Bergara Premiers for it. Once you dial in the cheek piece height, use a couple o-rings on the cheek piece rods to maintain a set height. This is how my KRG Whiskey 3 operates too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
RPR. Shoot the factory barrel until it is worn out and then replace it with a better one.

I vote for waiting and lurking in the PX. Deals pop up all the time, with out the wait of having your own built. After assembling 5 different precision rifles, I could’ve saved a bunch of money on 3 of them by going that route. Unless you want something special, unique, oddball caliber, etc, chances are someone has already built it.

Reactions: gatorbait308
I found a Bergara premier element with a Leupold mark 4 on a different website that I think would fit the bill. However I can’t find any reviews on this rifle and I also can’t respond on their classifieds right now for some reason

I found a Bergara premier element with a Leupold mark 4 on a different website that I think would fit the bill. However I can’t find any reviews on this rifle and I also can’t respond on their classifieds right now for some reason
Bergara is a great pre built platform. For the price you want to pay you could build a really nice custom built rifle. If you want the best of the best save up a little more money and get an AI. You can swap the barrels on them pretty easily.

You are actually losing money by not going .223 for that range. It's fine way past your given yardage too. Build a nice one and it'll be almost your favorite.
Going to have to go with this too. Build a .223 on an origin action. It will be your favorite rifle. I use 69gr/77gr SMKs for under 700yards and Berger 85.5gr for our to 1220 here. It’s a fantastic way to burn dollar bills.

Reactions: Makeshift Mando