• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a barrel for my Savage Target action

Raydee38

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
NY
I recently picked a Savage Target action that I plan to build in 223. Until now I have just bought factory actions and thrown them in a chassis and been happy with them but I wanted to build a accurate rifle from the ground up. At first I thought it would be real simple to order a barrel and slap it all together but after some research I have stopped and decided I better ask a bunch of questions before I drop money on the wrong barrel.

I was going to order a 223 Match barrel from Criterion but there is a 16 week wait so I decided to look at Preferred Barrel Blanks. The confusing part now is Preferred doesn't sell a Match 223 barrel, only a 223 Rem and a 223 Wylde. I would rather go with a longer throat so I can shoot the longer 75gr ELD bullets and I am not sure which chamber would be the right one to order?

Right now I have a bolt gun in 1:9 twist that I use for lighter 55gr bullets and I also have a bolt gun in 1:7 twist that I use to shoot 75gr bullets. What I am looking for is something that will shoot both, is that even possible? I was going to order a 1:8 twist thinking it will shoot both pretty well. Do you guys think I would be better off just building the rifle to shoot the heavier bullets in 1:7 twist or do you think the 1:8 will shoot both without sacrificing accuracy?

Call Jim at northland shooters supply. A great guy, he called me on a Sunday, after I emailed him a question. He can let you know what he has in stock. Some 1:7 barrels will do 55-77gr, others wont. Sometimes it’s the specific bullet, other times it’s the barrel.

It’ll be 16 weeks is the quote but I have had them come in much sooner. Then again they are probably slammed with work like everyone now.

Get the wylde, it’s a slightly longer throat to make space for longer larger bullets but it still works with the light ones.
Get the 7 twist, you won’t worry about over spinning and it’ll enable you to go heavier with the bullets when you get the itch.

+1 on check with NSS. Great to deal with, and generally delivers sooner rather than later.

That said... I have one of the Shilen 7tw barrels. Shoots great with 80VLDs. But when I asked about the throat, I think I got something along the lines of 'throated for 90s' (as in 90 VLDs). Based on what I recall, I'd say its probably closer to 90 thou freebore... which is awfully short of optimal for 90 VLDs from a .223 bolt gun.

I called NSS yesterday and that is where I got the 16 week lead time on the barrel I wanted. He did have some in stock but not the one I was looking for.

I would get a 223 Wylde or some gunsmith’s 223 match chamber for heavier bullets.

Frankly, if you have specific chamber requirements, I would start calling gunsmiths until you find a guy with a reamer like you want. I’ll bet there are 1000’s of 223 match reamers! Sounds like you basically want a 223 Rem throated for 80 VLD’s on the long side. I would look for a 223 reamer that cuts no throat and then ask my smith to cut a 0.0005” oversized freebore long enough that just the boat tail protrudes bellow the neck/shoulder junction.

That is not going to be a std prefit barrel option. Still, lots of folks will chamber a custom barrel for your Savage and still use the nut. Maybe Sharpshooter Supply has something that would work for you.

Actually I am not looking for anything custom at all, just wondering which of the offered barrels have the longer throat. The only barrel that NSS had in stock in the length, contour and twist I wanted wasn't threaded and I don't trust a single smith in my area to thread a pipe let alone a barrel.

Well, there is the mail.

Also, I’ll bet if you look around there are folks chambering benchrest barrels that may know Savages.