• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a bike need help

LSandBinc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2004
Westmoreland County, Pa.
Here's the deal. I'm 53, 265 pounds haven't ridden a bike since I was 16 and thinking about getting one to get back in shape. I live in a rural area, paved and gravel roads. Thinking of a hybrid style. Things have changed a lot since then. When they said 26" 27" etc it was tire size they talked about, now it sounds like frame size(?). Can some one give me a crash course for dummies on what to look for, ask, etc.

Thank you.

Re: Looking for a bike need help

I just recently got back in to bicycling. It is addictive. I just bought a Schwinn, thinking that I wouldn't be riding as much as I've ended up.

I've been doing a lot of reading, thinking of upgrading to a Trek or Giant, and it seems that there isn't a good way to figure out what frame size you need without going to a bike shop. The different brands use different frame sizing...some use sizes, like sm, med, lrg, and others use measurements. I'd just go to a local shop and talk to someone. I didn't realize it before, but bike fit is fairly important for performance.

Both actually. Could be describing wheel size as well as frame size. Best thing to do is go into a bike shop and have them fit you to your first bike.

I did go to one shop. The counter person was about, like 17 like dude. Half the time I had no idea what the hell he was talking about or what language it was. Like,like,like dude. It's the only one I know of locally.

Don't get a hybrid. They try to cover both bases and suck at each.

I would look at a mid-range mountain bike. Look at the major brands, Cannondale, Specialized, Etc. The 29" bikes are real popular, and great for us bigger guys. You can get tires that are good for both off road and on, or you can get two sets of wheels, one for road and one for dirt.

In bikes many times you get what you pay for. Craigslist or Ebay can be a gold mine if you know what you're looking for. I realize you don't, but if you find someone who does they could be a big help.

Go to a real bike store, not Wal Mart, and have them fit you to a type and size of bike that suits your needs. It's what they do for a living.

All major brands have reasonably priced bikes that will address your needs.

I agree with Mike on the 29'er(29 inch wheels instead of traditional 26")they roll over small obstacles/roots/etc... better in my opinion, i have had both and like the 29'er.

Depends on your budget too, i would get a mountain bike. Road bikes aren't too friendly on gravel.

I'm 43, out of shape and I tried running and it almost killed me....

I just recently found a older Specialized StumpJumper on a local forum for a good price. It already had hybrid type tires and was in really good shape.

If I were to do it again, I might have wound up with the same bike, but I think I would have done a little more research on fit. After I picked the bike up I did some, and lucked out on the size.

I haven't ridden a lot (its the time of year that its 100 degrees by 10am) but its a start. I try to get at least 7 mile in at an average of 14mph and it almost kills me each time, but I'm sure it'll get better.

-thanks Scott for the input on which bike to get. Left to my own devices I might have wound up looking like a lower east side Manhatten commuter.

-needs a little higher headsset, but good for now:
bikemt.jpg

I agree with Mike: Don't get a hybrid.

But I say get a road bike, get the bike properly fitted to you, and travel to the paved roads.

That way you can ride as hard as you want (or not), and set and achieve progressive conditioning goals.

How serious are you?... http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2011/

I'm likin' the new S5 and may have to try to afford one.

giant revel 2.....good price, lot of features, and good company..

there isnt a better deal out there for a entry rider....and its upgradable

Great suggestions from everyone, just my 2 cents FWIW....

Hybrids aren't a "bad" choice when matched with decent tires for the riding locale. A bit more aggressive pattern would be better suited for dual usage (kinda like a mud and snow tire versus a city tire for your car of choice).

The hybrids tend to be more upright so you're not hunched over the bike in a racing position. Far more friendly on the body until you get used to the position. Hunched over the bike in a rider position is not condusive to an enjoyable outing. You wanna feel like you've worked out not getting beat up.

Multiple gears are strongly suggested 18-27 gears is up to you depending on how much hill terrain you have in your riding area. Various shifting types from the manufacturers; trigger or twist. No right or wrong here, just what feels good (Chevy vs Ford, M700 vs M70 etc argument here).

Brake choice, keep it simple; cantilever/linear pull versus disc. Canti/linear is easier for the enduser to work on versus disc for the beginner. Not to mention less clutter, weight, controls, etc. If you happen to go fast enough to justify disc brakes then you shouldn't need to be on a hybrid.

Front suspension is a must, regardless of length of travel. Imagine 4 wheeling without shocks/springs/suspension; your body will thank you. Rear suspension is a no need; added weight and complexity of an already simple machine. Reserve the longer travel front and rear suspension to serious trails (imagine what the benefit of 6" of travel is on your SUV when your driving around town, just short of looks).

Tire size, yes the larger diameter 700cc, 29er do roll better, boils down to personal preference. I'm a "standard" 26" tire rider on the mountain bike, 700cc on the road bike.

The most important factor, regardless of the above is bike fit. Can't ride one too big or too small. Go down to a reputable bike shop for an actual fit. The difference is dramatic on how you ride and how you feel after your ride. If the bike fits you right, you shouldn't have any joint aches/back pain; just good old fashion muscle burn and sweat!

As for brands, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher offer a dizzing aray of options. From size, color, options, styles, etc.

Good Luck!

At your weight, a mountain bike is a better option than a road bike. They have much lower gearing than a road bike and if there are any decent hills in your area, road bike gears will kill you. I'd recommend a 26-er, just for better commonality of components.

Wouldn't even consider a hybrid, they're an inferior design and the components usually are crap. I'd go with a hardtail because modestly-price bikes usually have crummy rear suspension so the money is better spent getting higher quality gears and/or brakes. V-brakes are fine for casual riders but your wheelsets will last longer with disc brakes. If you'll be using it mostly on the street, opt for slick tires like the Continental Town & Country rather than knobbies. And I'm partial to trigger shifters over twist grip but that's purely a matter of personal taste.

You can get a decent discount buying online but if you're not real handy with repair and maintenance stuff, it might be worth the money to make friends at the local bike shop by buying from them.

Fred_C_Dobbs said:
At your weight, a mountain bike is a better option than a road bike. They have much lower gearing than a road bike and if there are any decent hills in your area, road bike gears will kill you. I'd recommend a 26-er, just for better commonality of components.
^
Could not have said it better

consider the recumbent class of bikes/trikes. No weight on your shoulders, just lay back and pedal. Two disadvantages: Can't jump curbs, and can't use body weight to turn the crank on tough climbs.
But these guys consistently lead the pack on the tour or Oregon trip, and are considered way serious.
Otherwise the mountain bike class of bike is more suited to you, and the guys at the bike shop can put a tire on that has a rib down the center, so you can do some roading, without the added friction of squirmy off-road tires.
Air them up tight.
Get the tools and learn to wrench for yourself. Once you have ridden a while you can start looking at Craigs, or Egay for a deal on something covet worthy.
Verrocchio's post above is worth printing and taking with you to the shop.

Well spent the day traveling to shops. I think I've decided to go with the Giant manufacture, for shop and parts availabilty. Still looking tho. I liked the Sedona and the Revel models. I like the wider tires of the Revel. I'm not a big fan of the twist shifter. I'd like to up grade the seat also, to something more like a lazyboy.
I really won't be woods riding that much if at all so the 29"ers I'm still up in the air on, as I said mostly gravel and paved roads, altho the back roads around here are more race tracks than anything else,everybodys in a hurry to go nowhere.

Thank you for the advise. I'll let you know what I decided.
Thanks again, Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARShuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well spent the day traveling to shops. I think I've decided to go with the Giant manufacture, for shop and parts availabilty. Still looking tho. I liked the Sedona and the Revel models. I like the wider tires of the Revel. I'm not a big fan of the twist shifter. I'd like to up grade the seat also, to something more like a lazyboy.
I really won't be woods riding that much if at all so the 29"ers I'm still up in the air on, as I said mostly gravel and paved roads, altho the back roads around here are more race tracks than anything else,everybodys in a hurry to go nowhere.

Thank you for the advise. I'll let you know what I decided.
Thanks again, Alan </div></div>
used to do the whole stump jumping thing a lot...stopped a few years back, and sold the bikes to finance some rifles....i recently decided to start back...got the giant revel 2 just to see if i actually wanted to ride again...this bike has the same features that most of my more costly bikes had.....and if there is something on it you dont care for? its a giant..everyone makes upgradable aftermarket parts for it....i am extremely happy with mine

have you looked at touring bikes? allows use of wider 700c tires for faster rolling than mountain bikes, and an upright position with multiple grips on a variety of bar choices.

be sure to check craigslist in your area, sometimes there are unreal deals for really nice bikes. I missed a wheeler $2500 bike a college kid sold for $300 by ten minutes.

I would suggest building a touring bike, but would rather you do a test ride first. what brands does your local shop carry?

Most touring bikes are steel and give a better ride than the alu frames. They are a bit heavier, but with nice steel tubing, you don't sacrifice too much weight. A good carbon fork will make up for a lot, and rides great with the steel too. I have a stella bellagio on my giant I built. It's more of a speedster than what you may be looking for, but carbon forks are really affordable now and pretty much the norm. I built a tcr frame up with campy record/chorus mix and ambrosio wheels and love it. It's a compact frame, which gives a more relaxed riding position than the older racing type bike due to slanted top tube and some altered geometry. A lot of the newer frames are compact and make for a stiffer frame due to shorter tubes, but also more comfortable riding when not leaned over the bar all day.

If you have a giant dealer near you, look at the Escape (escape city) if they have one. They run 700x32 tires and should be able to take a bit larger tire also. A lot of the cyclocross tires area this size or a bit bigger, and even the hybrid city tires, and have knobbies on the edge and a smoother center where you can ride road and light trails (wouldnt recommend full offroad though). I don't care for the triple crankset setup (mostly due to weight and quality of it) on this bike, but you can always upgrade the drivetrain for a few dollars on ebay (always good deals on cranksets and derailleurs there). These aren't true touring bikes, but are similar. Tourers are made to be ridden for weeks at a time and are more comfortable than the basic sport or mountain bike.
Check out jamis and khs also, good deals and good bikes. Cannondales are okay, but I feel they are usually overpriced. I used to ride 30+ miles offroad on the weekends and 20 miles a night on the trainer during the week, but don't get to ride much now due to owning my own business.
Ask to talk to the shop owner, usually they are much more helpful and will take the time to go over everything with you. And grab some catalogs from the shop, or check out the companies online. Wish you were near me, there are lots of great bikeshops here.

2Guard, I was at a Giant dealer on Saturday. He suggested a touring style bike also but didn't have any on hand. He is located in a collage town and lots of hills around the area, so mostly hybrids, mountian and road bikes. I've found a few on egay and craigslist, can't get people on craigslist to return emails tho. Theres a Sedona with 20 miles on it for 250.00. I really like the sedona I rode at the dealer. Sometime waiting is the hardest part, next to deciding.

I would highly recomend a mountain bike, and just like firearms you get what you pay for. My last 2 bikes have been over 5k each but they are hand build American frames. I would recomend Trek or Kona but hell there are many good ones out there. I would also recomend you looking at a cycle cross bike and then decide which would fit you and the stile of riding you want to do. I think the best workout to be had is on a mountain bike but I am a hairy leged dirt loving diehard mountain biker. One other good peice of advice is to go to all your local bike shops and ask each one the same series of questions and see waht they recomend for you and your riding style. Then you will kill 2 birds with 1 stone you will get a large ammount of "professional" local opnions and get to meet all your local bike shops and decide which shop is right for you.

But the most important part is get out there and ride, and have fun!!!

ARShuter
I ride a great deal. Got both road and MTB. I think your size and locality will suggest a mountain bike. Will it be as fast on dirt roads as a hybrid? It will if you put the right tires on it. Plus, it will allow you to ride on trails. Even if you don't want to be a "hard core" mountain biker, there should be some "beginner" trails in your area. These would be a nice change of pace in your exercise program.

A touring bike is great, if you'll be riding on pavement most of the time.

Once you get a bike, get yourself some good shorts, a good saddle, and if you ride much, a good pair of shoes. When you buy these, get something that works for you. Believe me, you should spare no expense with these items. They are your contact points. If your crotch or feet aint happy, you aint gonna ride long.

Enjoy the ride!

Once you get a bike, get yourself some good shorts, a good saddle, and if you ride much, a good pair of shoes. When you buy these, get something that works for you. Believe me, you should spare no expense with these items. They are your contact points. If your crotch or feet aint happy, you aint gonna ride long.

Enjoy the ride! [/quote]

Good points Doc. These are a few things I didn't think about. Thanks

a lot of people suggesting a mountain bike, so what type of riding will you be doing most and on what surface? Unless you have a lot of technical riding (like here in the southeast), I would still suggest a touring/hybrid/cx type bike for basic fire roads and trails. If there is a lot of tight, technical singletrack in your area that you will be riding regularly, I would opt for a mountain bike. But if your main focus is road and smoother, fast trails, a wide cyclocross type tire will make for a lot of fun. Keep it fun and you will want to do it more, no matter what bike you choose. You can always upgrade components or even the bike if you decide you like one type of riding more than another.

Excellent point by Doc on the saddle, shorts, and shoes. Assos is my favorite for shorts, but there are other high quality brands out there also. Do not forget to also get a good helmet, a bad fitting helmet can be a nuisance on short and long rides.

take a look at nashbar for bikes. here's some you might look:
good deal on a cx bike if you can ride a 48 or a 60cm, with the extra 15% off frames and bikes ($425 plus shipping):
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/ProductDisp...mpaign=datafeed

You might also look at bikesdirect, but pay attention to components. they have some decent bikes but you have to watch how they are spec'd. I would rather buy from the local bikeshops, but it always helps to have a backup plan if they cannot get what you want.
Does the sedona you were looking at have front suspension? If so, I would stay away from it. Lower end suspension is usually not worth having, and you are better off with a rigid fork. These comfort forks add a lot of weight to an already heavy bike usually. I would give up suspension all together on road type bikes in exchange for better frame/fork materials and better components. And don't worry about sram, shimano, campy differences. All make good stuff, but there are some lower end components that you probably want to keep away from. Just read up to be familiar with the differences before you make a decision, that way you make the decision and not some guy at the bike shop you don't know.

WOW, I just went through the yellow pages, of the 14 dealers in there 1 answered the phone. I asked what line he carried. His answer "Look on Ebay, I have nothing in stock right now", then he hung up. Make me wonder what his customer service is like.

Wow. That's terrible, I can't understand why some places are just so terrible on CS. Look up "Performance Bike" and see if you can find one near you. The three locations i've been to here in AZ have ALWAYS been very helpful. So much that we actually visit from time to time just to say hi even if we don't need anything.

They have shops in Allentown, Montgomeryville, Paoli, Piladelphia, and Pittsburg Pennsylania.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/StoreLocator_10052_10551_-1_StoreLocatorPennsylvania

They carry a brand called "Fuji" and for the money, they are very good bikes. My favorite brand is Specialized, for both mountain and road bikes. But I personally ride a Fuji frame that was built off of with better components. I personally prefer the Sram components if it makes any difference to you.

Even if you can't find a bike from Performance Bike that you like, they can help you figure out exactly what size frame you should be riding and even make suggestions for the type of bike would suit the terrain you intend to ride on. And don't overestimate the value of getting properly fitted. It's very important.

Hope this helps,
Dylan

I found a place called Pro Bikes about 50 miles away that will check me for frame size. I'm heading there tomorrow. They sound like they know what thier talking about but it wouldn't take a lot to fool me since I don't know half the terms they use.