• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a capable bolt action .22 for $300

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
I read some posts here and Savages are pretty well sought for bolt action .22s...

anything you guys can recommend for some accurate plinking for 50-100 yards?

what kind of accuracy?

I want it for myself to shoot those primer propelled bullets in my apt, and something for my gf to start learning how to shoot. she's too afraid of high power rifles... she does enjoy shooting though.

Thanks guys. in the meantime, I'll still be doing my research here.

btw, I like that tacticool stock, it reminds me of my B&C A2 stock. is it a drop in?

Re: Looking for a capable bolt action .22 for $300

You could find a good used Cz 452 for that, well I did at least. The savages are good too. I can shoot the bulk pack stuff with reasonable accuracy, but with wolf match ammo i can cut string at 100yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could find a good used Cz 452 for that, well I did at least. The savages are good too. I can shoot the bulk pack stuff with reasonable accuracy, but with wolf match ammo i can cut string at 100yds. </div></div>

I'll check them out. what's great about them compared to a MK II?

wolf match ammo cutting strings at 100y = sub moa

that's pretty good for .5 cent ammo

btw, I did see this thread, and I'm reading it right now

btw, I'll be putting a Bushnell 3200 10x scope on it. for the price, they're great and 10x is plenty for 100y shooting

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2626737&gonew=1#UNREAD

They are just an accurate lil rifle, I have the 21" varmit version. its a handy lil rifle, once the action gets broken in its really nice. With match ammo its on par with my 40X

For a few dollars more... $400 + $22.95 shipping and handling, to be exact, you can buy a "rusty" Kimber from the CMP. It is not actually rusty, it is a match 82G that was cut with box cutters when they were opening the boxes to inspect. Just a scratch.

These are supposed to be some pretty good rifles. I will probably buy one depending if my order for a 40X came through or not. The only issue is that you have to join a CMP-affiliated club, but you should do that anyway.

http://thecmp.org/Sales/rifles.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a few dollars more... $400 + $22.95 shipping and handling, to be exact, you can buy a "rusty" Kimber from the CMP. It is not actually rusty, it is a match 82G that was cut with box cutters when they were opening the boxes to inspect. Just a scratch.

These are supposed to be some pretty good rifles. I will probably buy one depending if my order for a 40X came through or not. The only issue is that you have to join a CMP-affiliated club, but you should do that anyway.

http://thecmp.org/Sales/rifles.htm </div></div>

Yeah I was looking at those. the 40x interested me alot, but i'd have to build it, which means over 1,000...

I'm already building my .30-06, I can't afford another build. I will have to settle for little less accuracy (if it can do 1moa at 100 yards, I'm happy, which I'm not sure if it's too much to ask for a .22)

I had a MP15-22 and it was one of my favotire rifles. engaging steel at 100 yards with that thing was alot of fun.

+1 on the CZ452. The trigger, especially with the $15 set of YoDave shims and springs, is much better than the Savage triggers in my opinion.

Obviously, the 40X's are great, but the Kimbers have a great rep as well and for $400, they are a steal.

MOA at 100 yards is on the edge for a .22LR. It can be done with the right ammo and the right gun. I get .80 on average with some groups around half MOA and some groups over MOA. That is with a 40X and top shelf ammo ($15 a box). it is still cheaper than a 308 and way cheaper than a 30.06. BTW... the CMP has 30.06 match ammo on sale from Hornady for cheap.

My take on all of this is that guns are cheap and ammo is expensive. I will spend around $800 on 22LR ammo this year alone. I guess if I were paying $.05 a shot and not $.25 a shot, that would sway me, though. The difficult thing about rifles is nto so much the cost of the rifle, it is all the other gear. The bipod, the case, the sling, the scope, the cleaning rod / bore guide / jags / brushes, etc., etc. Once you put all the costs together, the cost of the rifle ends up being a small fraction of the overall cost, which to me says that I should own fewer rifles / calibers and spend more on each individual rifle, but draw your own conclusions.

after reading everything on here i bought a cz453 varmint.

manners is making a stock for it
hooper does a stainless trigger guard and bolt knob

seemed like a good way to go without having to buy a 1000 dollar 40x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the CZ452. The trigger, especially with the $15 set of YoDave shims and springs, is much better than the Savage triggers in my opinion. </div></div>

Every thread I read, it seems like it's worth the extra cost

what makes it so much more worth it? is it the accuracy? the feel? accu vs CZ trigger? bolt smoothness?

and I see alot of versions out there. trainer, varmint etc etc...

Which is the one most get?

I also see alot of '452 american' whats that one? it sounds like it's slightly diff.

also, I'm def going to put a tacticool stock, I can't stand the stocks both these rifles have. I don't like the design.

that being said, it would be about 100 more for the CZ, and I'd need to get a base(Can I attach a scope out of the box w/rings?), and a 15 dollar trigger kit to smooth it out. so I'm looking at close to 200 more dollars.

oh, and I want a heavy barrel.

I looked at the MK II at gander yesterday, it was 260 or 270 I think. I can't remember the exact price. I didn't look to see if they had CZ rifles, but I might go after work on thursday and have a look.

The cz is supposed to be a bit nicer of a finish overall. That said my mkii thumbhole is far and away my favorite gun. A bit of time with a dremmel and the action is buttery smooth, which IMO it wax already. With remington ely I can cover my groups with a dime at 50.

Get a savage, tinker with the accu trigger for free at home, check the bases to make sure they came tight enough from the factory, and shoot away. Spend the saved money on a nice scope. I thought the rule of spending as much or more on glass was silly till I did it.

Buy the cheapest mkii you can and then get a boydes tacticool to replace the plastic junk, or get a thumbhole model.

Well, the CZ is the cat's meow, but you will not find a new one for 300$. If I had the 450$ to spend on a rimfire, I would buy one. I bought a Savage MkII with a bull/fluted barrel and accu-trigger for 279$, and it shoots like a house on fire. With good ammo I can shoot five shot, 3/8" groups at fifty. I guess for me that is good enough, but for others it might not be. You need to ask yourself how much accuracy do I want? JMHO.

$300.00 will put you in the Savage MKII FV heavy barrel department for sure, along with the accu-trigger. For the money (IMHO) it's one of the best deals around.

Right, the extra money can be used for a bushnell 3200 and rings. About 200...

If you're looking to put a tacticool stock on whatever you buy, why don't you just go buy the Savage TR? It will have all you're looking for right out of the box at a very decent price.

CZ's are nice but you also have to consider the extra high cost for magazines, the fact you need to go buy the tacticool stock, the extra cost and issues with scope rings/bases, etc.

Some folks will claim the CZ is better in some respects. While I agree the stock is nicer (if you like wooden stocks), this is pointless if you are changing it out to a tacticool or Manners.

Both rifles shoot very well and there is no difference in accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
and I see alot of versions out there. trainer, varmint etc etc...

Which is the one most get?

I also see alot of '452 american' whats that one? it sounds like it's slightly diff. </div></div></div></div>

The difference between American and Varmint is the barrel. Both barrels are tapered, the Varmint is a heavy tapered barrel as opposed to a standard taper on the American.

The difference between the American and Varmint verses the Special Military Trainer, Lux, Ultra Lux, etc... are the open sights. Neither the American or Varmint have open sights, while all of the other models do. Quite possibly the finest open sights on a production 22 around. That and the stocks are different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the CZ452. The trigger, especially with the $15 set of YoDave shims and springs, is much better than the Savage triggers in my opinion.</div></div>

Every thread I read, it seems like it's worth the extra cost

what makes it so much more worth it? is it the accuracy? the feel? accu vs CZ trigger? bolt smoothness?</div></div>

It's primarily the fit and finish. I have both the Savage and CZ, and to me the bolt in the CZ does feel smoother, as well as being more accurate than the Savage. But to tell you the truth, it really is a personal preference thing. The whole Ford verses Chevy thing as others will argue the Savage being the better of the two.

What I find when I make recommendations between the two (and this leans your way too) is that if a person is going to replace the stock with a Tacticool, then to just buy the Savage. A large part of the CZ having the nicer fit and finish is the stock. If you are going to replace it anyway, then just save the few extra bucks by going with the Savage. If a person is leaning towards keeping the wood stock, then spend the extra dough on the CZ. You'll be happier in the long run.

Another thing to consider are the 455 series CZ's. The 455's barrels are threaded for easy interchangeability (sp?). That's changeable between calibers included. You could be shooting 22lr one minute, change barrels and be shooting 22mag or 17hmr the next. I also predict that the major barrel manufacturers will in the near future be producing aftermarket barrels for them. Something to think about anyway.

Whittaker Guns has several Mark IIs in their used list; prices range from 199 for an FV to 269 for a BTV to 329 for lefthanded models. And when Darryl says "like new in box", you can count on it.

Thanks guys.

I didn't know about the TR model... anything advantageous of that compared tot he tacticool stock? (as far as feel goes I guess)

that 455 sounds cool. I was thining a 17hmr would be nice. so it'd be nice to change calibers

the savage tr models are nice if you want the tacticool look. there is also the trr which adds rails, they offer the cool stock that can be bedded. 17hmr is the way to go good out to 300 but more expensive to shoot. the cz are awesome the irons are gradient like an sks or ak out to 300 for 17 hmr and the lux looks European with a faux Schnabel. if you get the set trigger on the cz it sets to below 1lb and is nice however unset has some creep. im a savage man and if you want tac go savage if you want the best quality hard to beat a cz and your gf learning irons is a good start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys.

I didn't know about the TR model... anything advantageous of that compared tot he tacticool stock? (as far as feel goes I guess)

that 455 sounds cool. I was thining a 17hmr would be nice. so it'd be nice to change calibers </div></div>

The TR is the heavy barrel Savage with the tacticool stock already included. The TR also comes with large bolt knob and fluted barrel. Why buy a heavy barrel Savage and then swap the stock to a tacticool when you can buy the TR model and it's ready to go as is?

If I were buying I would wait a few weeks for the marlin XT heavy barrel rifle to come out. Then I would put the tacticool stock on it and have about $300 in the rifle. I know it is a new rifle and all but if it shoot as well as my 925 and 917v you will not be disappointed.

199 for Whittaker mk 2 with shipping and ffp will be like 250...

Or 50 more bucks for a brand new one from gander... Hmmmm

The Marlin XT looks grossly similar to the Savage MK II/93 action.

I was on the fence about a month ago, between CZ 455, Ruger 77/22 and the Savage MKII TR. Went with the Savage...the switch barrel kit from CZ looked cool, .22lr, .22wmr, or .17hmr; The Ruger was a little out of my price range. The Savage had the tacticool stock and a bull barrel out of the box, so I went that route. It shoots great, I reduced the trigger pull to about 2# and has excellent accuracy at 100y with cci std vel or wolf match.