• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for a cheapish tactical rifle scope. Is there anything besides Vortex Diamondback Tactical?

wpeach1912

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
I'm looking into getting a scope for my 22" 6.5 creed that I will mainly be using as a hunting rifle when I don't need a 300 win mag. I am trying to find scopes under $400 or so that have exposed turrets, a mil based reticle with at least .5 mil graduations, and sub 30ish ounces. I don't really care about sfp or ffp because I'm looking at a magnification range of roughly 4-16 or 3-15. I'd prefer a 30mm tube as well.

Cabelas Covenant 5.

I have a 3-15X that I picked up used for $175 and put it on an old 308. It surprised me with how good it is for the price.

Athlon Helos BTR 4-20x is about $500 used and what you’re looking for.

I think Athlon makes better Chinese scopes than Vortex. All of the razor line is superior to anything Athlon makes, including the Cronus, but athlon’s Chinese scopes are solid.

Those Midas tacs look good for sure. Might have to just save a little more. Didn’t want to do Arken because of the weight

The non-illuminated Bushnell Match Pro is just over your budget, but is a significant improvement over the typical sub-$400 stuff. I ran one out to 1047 with a 308 in testing before they were released, as well as several NRL22 matches and had no issues.

I'm looking into getting a scope for my 22" 6.5 creed that I will mainly be using as a hunting rifle when I don't need a 300 win mag. I am trying to find scopes under $400 or so that have exposed turrets, a mil based reticle with at least .5 mil graduations, and sub 30ish ounces. I don't really care about sfp or ffp because I'm looking at a magnification range of roughly 4-16 or 3-15. I'd prefer a 30mm tube as well.
Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 or EP5 5-25x56 with their VPR reticle... They will not be beat for the money.

@wpeach1912 - I've got what your after. Checks all your boxes anyway. Was going to list in the PX this weekend. PM me if interested & I'll give you a hell of a deal. Could also hook you up with a set of Eotech rings if you need them to. If not it'll go up on the PX by Sunday.

Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 x 50 APLR3 illuminated mil. reticle with .2 subtensions, FFP, 30mm tube 27oz.
These are nice. I have 2 & keeping the 1 I have mounted. Shot that one quit a bit on a DPMS 308. The one I'm selling has never been used. Includes everything that comes in the box + a set of Buttler Creek caps I bought for it.

Mine is the Gen 1 below is a link for the Gen 2 & all specs are the same accept for reticle (gen 2 has APLR5) and improved turrets + several hundred $ increase.

These had stellar reviews & FWIW I cleaned the grease out of the turrets on the one I'm using and there is a very noticeable improvement in clicks aka tactile feel compared to the new one. That was the only gripe on the Gen1's.

@wpeach1912 - I've got what your after. Checks all your boxes anyway. Was going to list in the PX this weekend. PM me if interested & I'll give you a hell of a deal. Could also hook you up with a set of Eotech rings if you need them to. If not it'll go up on the PX by Sunday.

Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 x 50 APLR3 illuminated mil. reticle with .2 subtensions, FFP, 30mm tube 27oz.
These are nice. I have 2 & keeping the 1 I have mounted. Shot that one quit a bit on a DPMS 308. The one I'm selling has never been used. Includes everything that comes in the box + a set of Buttler Creek caps I bought for it.

Mine is the Gen 1 below is a link for the Gen 2 & all specs are the same accept for reticle (gen 2 has APLR5) and improved turrets + several hundred $ increase.

These had stellar reviews & FWIW I cleaned the grease out of the turrets on the one I'm using and there is a very noticeable improvement in clicks aka tactile feel compared to the new one. That was the only gripe on the Gen1's.

Sadly, I’m a few months out on buying a scope or else I’d take you up on it. I appreciate the offer!

Reactions: 357Max
For reliability at close to that price point, going to be hard to beat SWFA: https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html#brand=SWFA SS
I have a bunch of SWFA SS scopes, the only issue with them is 1) 42mm objective, and 2) No Zero-Stop.

I know about the ebay ZS setup you can purchase for them, but for $300+, they should be able to find a way to implement a ZS, even if it's extremely basic (like the ebay shim setup).

@dirtytough Since the OP was asking about budget scope options, and since you think my suggestion is funny, I'd like to see you offer an alternative with the same exact features, or better ones, than the Arken scopes, for under $550...

Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 or EP5 5-25x56 with their VPR reticle... They will not be beat for the money.

@dirtytough Since the OP was asking about budget scope options, and since you think my suggestion is funny, I'd like to see you offer an alternative with the same exact features, or better ones, than the Arken scopes, for under $550...
Neither of those are what the OP is looking for. He’s looking for a mag range of 3-15/4-16. He’s also looking for sub 30 ounces.

Also how do you know the EP5 is better than anything in its class? How many rounds have you sent down range with one? 100? 5000? Have you even used one? I just thought it was funny that the guy that has as many posts as you about Arken completely ignores the OP’s criteria and recommends Arken.

Anyway carry on. Sorry to derail OP.

Yeah I'd check out arken, I think they still sell the ep4 4-16 or the sh4. I don't shoot one but they are pretty proven and CS on this side seem to be pretty on top of things. In your price range I'd start ranking things in order of importance. You may not get everything you want in a scope.

Reactions: FuhQ
Neither of those are what the OP is looking for. He’s looking for a mag range of 3-15/4-16. He’s also looking for sub 30 ounces.

Also how do you know the EP5 is better than anything in its class? How many rounds have you sent down range with one? 100? 5000? Have you even used one? I just thought it was funny that the guy that has as many posts as you about Arken completely ignores the OP’s criteria and recommends Arken.

Anyway carry on. Sorry to derail OP.
Nope, but I do own 3 SH4's, and am waiting on my EP5 to arrive. The SH4 Gen2 scopes are on-par with the Strike Eagle glass ($800 MSRP scope), so the Japanese ED glass in the EP5 is even better than the chinese HD glass in the SH4 scopes, according to those who have one in hand, and have looked through them. Several people already have them in-hand now, and have posted about them.

And like was pointed out, they offer a 4-16x50 in the SH4 Gen2...

Also, how did I ignore any of his criteria, other than the magnification range, which they obviously offer in another model...And the scope weight. I think people need to toughen up a little bit, and accept that a couple ounces of scope weight won't break their back.

And last, but not least... Have YOU actually ever handled any model Arken scope, much-less looked through one?

Nope, but I do own 3 SH4's, and am waiting on my EP5 to arrive. The SH4 Gen2 scopes are on-par with the Strike Eagle glass ($800 MSRP scope), so the Japanese ED glass in the EP5 is even better than the chinese HD glass in the SH4 scopes, according to those who have one in hand, and have looked through them. Several people already have them in-hand now, and have posted about them.

And like was pointed out, they offer a 4-16x50 in the SH4 Gen2...

Also, how did I ignore any of his criteria, other than the magnification range, which they obviously offer in another model...And the scope weight. I think people need to toughen up a little bit, and accept that a couple ounces of scope weight won't break their back.

And last, but not least... Have YOU actually ever handled any model Arken scope, much-less looked through one?
You ignored tube diameter, price, weight, and mag range. Not sure on the rest of the criteria. Not going to research the rest since they missed at least 4 of the OP’s wants.

I don’t care what something is on par with. If it doesn’t meet criteria it doesn’t meet it.

You go ahead and keep pushing Arken even if it doesn’t meet criteria. Almost shill like. Instead of the OP “toughening up” maybe he should just quit being a “poor” and buy something in the $2k-$3k range? Or maybe posters could actually suggest what meets his criteria.

Curious what me using one has to do with you recommending to the OP a few optics that miss at least 4 of his criteria?? Actually please don’t even answer that question. No reason to derail the thread further.

Sorry OP. I knew I shouldn’t have responded to mudrunner.

Two more options for well made Chinese scopes in or close to your price range and specs. You can always find a 20% coupon floating around out there on YouTube with these guys.

Reactions: wpeach1912
I wouldn't rule out the Vortex Venom 5-25. Crazy wide fov, zero stop, and I believe 10yd parallax if you care about that. Other than that I would look at SWFA offerings and Primary arms for best bang for your buck.

Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 - APLR2 FFP IR MIL
T
his Talos BTR4-14×44 Model has APLR2 first focal plane illuminated MIL reticle in it.

FEATURES
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Aircraft Grade Aluminum: Aircraft Grade Aluminum provide extra strength and durability to handle the toughest terrain and offers lifetime of use.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Nitrogen Purged: Nitrogen purging dramatically reduces the moisture inside the tube and helps maintaining fogproof and waterproof.

I think Athlon makes better Chinese scopes than Vortex. All of the razor line is superior to anything Athlon makes, including the Cronus, but athlon’s Chinese scopes are solid.
I’d seriously be considering this if I were looking for those features.
I really think if you could up it to 500$ you’ll find more scopes in your criteria.

Last edited:
I think the Sightron S-Tac 3-16×42 has what you want and it aint made in china.

I've been using one for a few weeks and can repeat this recommendation. The glass is clear and fairly bright, and the range is just about optimal for me. I also really like the size and weight. For the price it's been a pleasant surprise.

I would say yes. Dude's shilling heavily in every Arken thread and goes on the attack when he's called out.
If he's not on arkens pay roll I don't really see a problem with him pushing his favorite scope in the budget category. It's not a bad optic and has reasonable compromises considering price a quality. I don't think his recommendation is hurting the OP in any way. It'll take all of 3 minutes to decide if he doesn't like the specs.

If he is on arkens pay roll then it moves away from being a fan boy...

If he's not on arkens pay roll I don't really see a problem with him pushing his favorite scope in the budget category. It's not a bad optic and has reasonable compromises considering price a quality. I don't think his recommendation is hurting the OP in any way. It'll take all of 3 minutes to decide if he doesn't like the specs.

I'm not suggesting that he is. But seeing the same person flooding threads with one Arken post after another does get tiresome after a while.

You can find a used Nikon FX1000 for under $500.
Why would anybody consider a Nikon they dont make scopes anymore stupid idea spend 500 bills and have no warranty ill say it again stupid

Take a look at the Burris RT series of scopes. You can find the 3-15 for 599.00 list and you might be able to get a better price for one from the Hides venders if you ask, like Camera land NY, who has posted in this thread.

Definitely NOT on anybody's payroll. Absolutely ZERO affiliation, other than spending my own damn money on their products.

I'm not pushing anything... Folks ask for suggestions on budget scopes... That's a viable option. So I recommend it.

• Haha
Reactions: RollTrees16
Why would anybody consider a Nikon they dont make scopes anymore stupid idea spend 500 bills and have no warranty ill say it again stupid

Most are now aware Nikon no longer makes scopes. Not saying the warranty shouldn't be a considering factor but I've never had an issue with any Nikon scope I have/had. While the Nikon scope warranty isn't what it once was it hasn't gone away. https://riflescope-review.com/do-nikon-scopes-have-a-lifetime-warranty/ It looks like you have to have your original receipt.

Anyway I've been more than happy with my FX1000 and was just giving the OP options. When the FX1000's pop up for sale on the used market they seem to go quick so some people must still find value in them.

Reactions: Gohring65
I dont know how to get around non-transferable warranty. I also liked the brand but to take a chance on a used Nikon hell no . Used anything else that has a no bullshit warranty ok im game.

SWFA punches well above its price point. I have fixed 10x, 3x9, and fixed 6x. Made in Japan.
They're good scopes, I have several. Just not a fan of the fact they don't have a factory zero-stop, and their turrets are kind of "squishy" or "mushy". The tracking is spot-on, and the Jap glass is nice and clear. Their reticles are also nice...I'm a big fan of their Mil-Quad reticles. I just don't know if I'd pick one over some of the other budget options with more features, equal glass, better FOV, FFP reticles, better turrets, zero-stops, etc... Just my opinion.

Like I said, they're great scopes, just kind of dated. If they would just throw a simple inexpensive to produce factory ZS in them, and start using 50mm objectives for their non-HD models, it would go a LONG way for their sales.

Well op you got a couple Athlon BTR and Sightron S-Tac i believe meet your requirements.

I have a bunch of SWFA SS scopes, the only issue with them is 1) 42mm objective, and 2) No Zero-Stop.

I know about the ebay ZS setup you can purchase for them, but for $300+, they should be able to find a way to implement a ZS, even if it's extremely basic (like the ebay shim setup).
If you haven’t seen these you can get at Lowe’s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 66
Arken EP5 5-25. Get it before the price goes up soon and also it will include a mount, caps, etc. Excellent CS and full of high end features with good clear glass and great turrets.