• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a competent shop to cut and thread a barrel

les_garten

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
I need a barrel cut and threaded. It's an expensive barrel so I'd like to find a good shop that can do it.

It would be great if they were in SouthEast Florida, but not mandatory.

Any suggestions?

Yet another vote for ADCO
I have a heavy profile carbine gas AR15 barrel that they cut to 10.5", threaded and fluted for me.
They even opened up the gas port about .010" for good function.
That was my first AR Pistol Upper that I put together, It still works like a champ.

Class 3 machining Morgan Richie does phenomenal work and is very reasonably priced.

Class 3 machining Morgan Richie does phenomenal work and is very reasonably priced.

I cannot stress enough how awesome this gentleman is. Granted he is in texas, but I would mail him a barrel in a heartbeat.

Had him thread a barrel for a suppressor and the suppressor was off. EVERYONE blamed the threads. He took the time to show me (brought me into the shop and measured!) the runout on the barrel, suppressor attachment, and then the can itself (demonstrating it was the CAN that was the problem). No pun intended, this guy is a class act who does A+ work not just for Joe Shmo's like me, but for big companies.

On top of that, my attachment (a Muzzle Brake) was mechanically timed to 12'oclock. No shims and you could set a level on its flat.

Screenshot_20230908_083031_Chrome.jpg

If possible, it's best to provide a barrel only. Most will charge extra for a barreled upper. I don't think that Class3 accepts barreled uppers at all. Do you know what muzzle device you're going to use? There are a couple which are picky with thread length.

Reactions: les_garten
Patriot Valley Arms, but their turn around might be quite a while.
Crown Ridge Barrel works - just cut/thread a barrel for me and had it done in a day after receipt of barrel. Only wait time was shipping. $77 and it included return shipping. (Yeah, nuts cheap)

If possible, it's best to provide a barrel only. Most will charge extra for a barreled upper. I don't think that Class3 accepts barreled uppers at all. Do you know what muzzle device you're going to use? There are a couple which are picky with thread length.
I would be sending just the barrel. I am using a forward Controls design 6315KM muzzle device

Learn to do it yourself...no waiting, and done to your exact specifications... and you can shoot it tomorrow...instead of waiting, shipping, waiting, and the cost...its free.. if ya have the tools... and the know how can be learned. Notice the pennies are cheap soft shims, used so as not to harm the barrel OD finish... so it cost 4 cents...cheaper than scrap aluminum, and can be reused....or spent... if you can find something for...4 cents. Found in parking lots everywhere for free, if ya care to bend over and pick em up.

Attachments

• 20230810_193925.jpg
    20230810_193925.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Balor
Learn to do it yourself...no waiting, and done to your exact specifications... and you can shoot it tomorrow...instead of waiting, shipping, waiting, and the cost...its free.. if ya have the tools... and the know how can be learned. Notice the pennies are cheap soft shims, used so as not to harm the barrel OD finish... so it cost 4 cents...cheaper than scrap aluminum, and can be reused....or spent... if you can find something for...4 cents. Found in parking lots everywhere for free, if ya care to bend over and pick em up.
LOL, I just checked my sock drawer.. What do ya know, I got 4 pennies in there. Unfortunately that's about it on the equipment...

I would be sending just the barrel. I am using a forward Controls design 6315KM muzzle device
I'm unaware of any issues with the FCD, but if you have the MD in hand, you can measure the thread depth to see if it is less than 0.625". I don't want to go off on some unasked tangent regarding muzzle threads, but verifying, even with a reputable shop, the thread specs can save you a potential headache.

LOL, I just checked my sock drawer.. What do ya know, I got 4 pennies in there. Unfortunately that's about it on the equipment...

OP,

Call Compass Lake and talk with Paul he will get whatever you need done with a fast turnaround. CLE is at least in FL so shipping should be quick. CLE has been turning barrels for me for over 10 years, thier work is quality and thier prices are better then anyone around.

Sure let me drop a couple thou and hours of training....I've got nuthin better to do.

Reactions: czgunner
Sure let me drop a couple thou and hours of training....I've got nuthin better to do.
If you'd have turned off the TV and computer years ago...you'd already be trained. Choices...

I used Adco to get a cut to 14.5", then pin and weld a Griffen. The pin and weld did not look good, but it works. Green0 on another forum said I'll need to clean it up with a file when I get my can.
1USX1ah.jpeg

When you cut and rethread a barrel, do you have to find someone who can recrown as well? Or is that part of the deal?

Les, cut and thread as you want your barrel shortened 2” (example) and threaded for muzzle device? Yes recrowning required and done.
Just thread for a muzzle device most times no need to recrown.
Hope that helps.

Rick - Gulf Coast Precision/GCP Rifles - North Venice, FL
Eric Bostrom - Myakka City, FL
Dana English Rifles - Wauchula, FL
Alex Wheeler/Wheeler Accuracy - High Springs, FL
Gordy Gritters/Gordy's Precision - Edgewater, FL
Compass Lake Engineering - Alford, FL

Last edited:
Has anyone had ADCO or Class 3 cut and thread a barrel recently with good results? I have an extra barrel on hand that I want chopped and they seem to have a quick turn around.