• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for a factory long range remington

ejholdmeyer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Adel, IA
I know everyone on here cringes when somebody asks something like this and yes I agree custom is the way to go. I have a good custom 7mm-08 with a schmidt and i love it. but, I also have a little remington 597 17hmr that I got for plinking that turns out has been recalled because the action fails and can "cause serious injury" so remington is buying back all of the amunition and the gun. but the catch is they only give you a coupon for another remington gun. so I'm thinking of getting a .308 that will be lighter than my custom and good for shooting around the 600yd mark.. I was looking at the XCR with the triangle barrel or the VSSF.. Worst case is in a few years I rebarrel it and build it into a custom. has anyone tested the XCR? or what's everyones thoughts? looking to spend around $800 - $900 on the gun..

Re: looking for a factory long range remington

XCR's are nice, but you may be better served getting a mil-spec 5R. You can usually get one used for around 800-900. You just have to keep your eyes open.

+1 on the 5r, these are about as accurate a factry rifle as you can get. no problem at 600yds. the 700 p is also about the same accuracy wise for about $850 new. sps taticals are good to for $600. people have not been to blown away by the triangle barrels, some shoot as good as the other heavy barrel remingtons and some do not. to me its just a novelty thing and if triangle bbls are so good as remington claims, why haven'y custom barrel makers done it. and don't think they noticed or tried.
for example, when bartlein came out with the gain twist and tony boyer starting winning, other shooters followed, and now several barrel makers make gain twists.
Sorry about the rant on the triangle barrels.

I would buy a cheapest rem 700 you could and spend the other 400 on a shilen barrel 200 and the other 200 to install and chamber the barrel. It might cost you 100 or so more by the time its done, but when its done, its done!! Or go the 5r route. Those are pretty nice rifles. Lee

If you want out of the box ready to go without much modifications, then XCR is the way to go. I would definitely drop it in a better stock, although the B&C stock is not too shabby. It's going to be around 900 - 1K depending on where you can find it. I had one and was very happy with it. If you are going to get some trigger time and perhaps semi custom it in the future, then there is nothing wrong with a 700 SPS tactical, or varmint, or even a PSS. You can always send it to GAP and have them put a match grade barrel and chamber. Of course, the stick would need a better stock, because the SPS stock sucks. The SPS is going to be way cheaper than the XCR, but don't expect bug hole with your accuracy right away. I have a 700 PSS in 300 WM. Sent it to GAP to re-barrel and now it's awesome.

I just took my Remington 5R to the range for the 2nd time. I shot three 5 shot groups each with;

TAP 168 avg. grp. .749
B.H 168 avg. grp. 1.076
FGMM 168 avg. grp. .471
FGMM 175 avg. grp .979
B.H. 175 avg. grp .687

15 five shot groups, 5 different types of factory ammo avg group .792. Largest group 1.336 smallest .200. I don't really shoot 3 shot groups, but I would bet that if I did the average group would be less than .500. Just one man's opinion but it's
got to be hard to beat the Remington 5R out of the box.

5R's are probably the sweetest factory you can get for around 1k

I agree with the 5R. SO far I've got a .241" group with 42.6g of RL15 FC brass 175 SMK at 2.80 in mine.

If you already have a 7mm-08 I'd get some other caliber. 7mm WSM? Or a long action?

I can't really think of anything that .308 can do better than 7mm-08. It might be a little cheaper to load for, but that's about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a 7mm-08 I'd get some other caliber. 7mm WSM? Or a long action?

I can't really think of anything that .308 can do better than 7mm-08. It might be a little cheaper to load for, but that's about it. </div></div>

I'm going to agree on this. I'd probably go with a long action in whichever caliber you prefer. Gives you some additional variety.

Eric, I'd look at the 5R...great rifle for the money.

Good luck, Pat

Sorry to go off topic but how did you find out it was recalled? i've got one too and i'd like to know if its going to blow up and stick in my eye
wink.gif

Steve