• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a good 17HMR to buy

Sniper 2230

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2005
Dallas TX
I'm looking at buying a good 17 HMR. Does anyone have any ideas? I have heard the CZs are good, and Remington only makes one 17 HMR. I would like one with a 16 - 20 inch barrel or something close to that, so I can put can on it . It will be used for coyote hunting mainly. Please PM or email me back.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Looking for a good 17HMR to buy

I have a Savage 93R17 GV that i have been happy with. It has the Accu trigger which i like, Detachable 5rnd magazine and a fair price of under 300 bucks.

The Savage 17HMR's are fantastic shooters, I have had the first bull barrel version without the accutrigger and it shot one ragged hole shot after shot. The trigger sucked but it still shot well.

I bought their newer stainless bull barrel version with the accutrigger and it seems to be doing the same but only with a better trigger.

You meantioned that you would be using this on coyotes. What range of kill are you expecting out of the 17HMR?
I would only recommend that you stay within 200 yards, preferably no more than 150.
This bullet really looses it's explosiveness past 150. It will kill beyond that but you better have a perfectly placed shot.
If you are wanting to go beyond 150 and even greater than 200 then consider another caliber IMHO.
I love the 17HMR for killing within 150 with aplomb.
Beyond 150 I grab my 223 or 22-250 and past 400 I grab bigger still.
Hope this helps.
...SmokeRolls

I have a Marlin 917 that does very well. trigger isnt anything to write home about, but isnt really that bad.

I had one of the Savages with a bull barrel. It was impressively accurate. I wasn't that happy with the fit and finish though so i traded it off. I now have a CZ trainer ( long barrel, tangent sights) I'm way happier with it.

I have a Savage bull barrel w/ the spiral fluting...don't remember the model off the top of my head. Excellent little varmint round. My Savage will shoot MOA all day long at 100. However, I live in NW Iowa where the wind never stops blowing so past 125 or so for me the wind is really moving the bullet around. To cure that, I just get within a 100 and the stray tom cats never know I am there until they are toast!!! Or I just grab the AR and I am good to go also

If I had to do it over, Alexander Arms is making a .17HMR AR this year and I want one BAD!!!!! They are double the price of what you can get a Savage for but I think there wouldn't be a better rimfire setup for varmints. I will someday own one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Brace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage bull barrel w/ the spiral fluting...don't remember the model off the top of my head. Excellent little varmint round. My Savage will shoot MOA all day long at 100. However, I live in NW Iowa where the wind never stops blowing so past 125 or so for me the wind is really moving the bullet around. To cure that, I just get within a 100 and the stray tom cats never know I am there until they are toast!!! Or I just grab the AR and I am good to go also

If I had to do it over, Alexander Arms is making a .17HMR AR this year and I want one BAD!!!!! They are double the price of what you can get a Savage for but I think there wouldn't be a better rimfire setup for varmints. I will someday own one! </div></div>

I wanted an Alexander Arms too, until I read the reviews. The gun is good, but it does not solve the major issue with shooting 17 HMR in a semi automatic. It's just stronger. It still has catastrophic failures regularly, it just doesn't blow up like the early Remington 597 HMR rifles.

I would never buy a 17 HMR semi auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper 2230</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at buying a good 17 HMR. Does anyone have any ideas? I have heard the CZs are good, and Remington only makes one 17 HMR. I would like one with a 16 - 20 inch barrel or something close to that, so I can put can on it . It will be used for coyote hunting mainly. Please PM or email me back.

Thanks,

Jeff </div></div>

17 HMR on coyote, IMO, simply isn't ethical. It just doesn't pack enough power to reliably do anything but wound a song dog. I wouldn't try to kill anything larger than a ground hog. It's cruel. One can certainly get lucky and get one from time to time, but this is NOT a coyote round.

Buy a centerfire. You can get a 17 Remington or 17 Remington Fireball for a bit more than a 17 HMR and take ethical shots out to about 350 yards.

HMRs are a GREAT range round, and work wonders on birds, squirrel, ground dogs, PDogs, etc, but don't use it on something like a coyote.

I think you will really like any brand of 17 HMR. Some more than others obviously. I would probably look into a CZ if I were buying one right now.
The 17 HMR is a great invention! Very fun!

About coyotes...
The 17 HMR does quite well on varmints and a coyote could be called a varmint, but if you put a coyote next to a ground squirrel you can see that there is a pretty large size difference.
I would recommend a larger caliber if this is going to be a designated coyote rifle.

Great round but in this area with the size of coyotes we have I would not consider it beyond 50 yards with the little 17HMR,
great for pests though.

I have had Marlin, Savage, Ruger and a CZ in 17hmr.
I thought the Marlin was the bargin of the bunch, accurate and cheap. The savage was a little more $$, but no better accurate then the Marlin.

My favorite was the Ruger, it was a MOA to 1.5MOA at 100yds, but fit and finish was the best I have seen in a mid priced rimfire. The 9rd ruger magazine is worth buying the rifle by itself.

The CZ was a solid rifle build to last, but I didn't like the backwards safety so didn't keep it long.

I would consider the SAKO Quad or Ruger if I was looking for a mid priced, or a Marlin if I wanted a cheap rimfire. Now if money was no object give me a Anschutz 1717 or Cooper JSR.

This one was a gift from my wife. Its a fun rifle for squirrels and is very accurate.

Take care,Stan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WaMNk-18arg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WaMNk-18arg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have a Marlin and an Anschutz 1517 and have shot a Savage. The Marlin is just a hair less accurate than the Anschutz. Obviously, the fit and finish on the Anschutz is outstanding... it is in a different league.

I think of Anschutz as being a custom stick... they all shoot. The Marlin and the Savage is like a factory Remington 700. Maybe it shoots and maybe it doesn't. I am lucky in that I got a Marlin that really shoots. My dad has one that does not shoot as well.

If you can afford it, I would go Anschutz. If that is out of your league, Savage and Marlin are good. I have no experience with the CZ's.

The one that Savage makes for Cabela's with the od green tactical wood stock is my favorite so far. on sale they are about 449.99.

Started with an nef single shot, then a couple ruger 77/17's, a CZ, a savage 9317ss and now a sako quad w/17hmr barrel. The sako makes tiny little groups, has a great stock, magazine and adjustable trigger, awesome little rifle. The NEF outshot the others, but had problems with light primer strikes, misfires. If I couldn't find, or justify the price for another quad, I'd go for a CZ, then a ruger.