• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for a good performing optic for my RPR

Hokageelite

pewpew no jutsu
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
OR
Hey y’all, I’m looking for a good value optic option for my .308 RPR. My range has paper targets at 100/200/300, and steel at 100/240/340, with a 600 yard shot every 2 weeks, which I’ll be able to do very minimally due to work schedule, so I’m looking something mainly to perform well at 100-300. My girl and I enjoy just ringing steel, as well as trying to get nice groupings on paper, but we don’t need a super impressive optic and reticle with all the prs features. Just something to put some good groupings on paper and enjoy shooting, as we’re not going to be doing any competitions or anything. I’m aware of the capabilities of the RPR and that I won’t be maximizing it currently, but gives us both a lot of room to grow into that.

I currently have a Sig Sauer m400 Tread rifle with the Sig Sierra3 BDX 3.5-10x on it and seeing some great groups with it. However I don’t know if it will be a great option or the higher power versions for my RPR, other than just hitting steel every time. Although the BDX reticles have been fairly accurate, and the system makes it so dialing isn’t really necessary. Appreciate opinions on using this system for it.

Other options I am currently intrigued by are the Bushnell Nitro 5-20 SFP, Bushnell Match Pro, the Arken EP-4. im currently seeing amazing pricing on the Bushnell Nitro for $219.99 and would love any feedback y’all have on that. Other than that I am looking to spend $500-$600 to serve my purpose of use, and I have found these all inside that budget. Open to other options that can serve this purpose, but these are the options I have narrowed it down to. Also, what is the ideal magnification range for this purpose, is more than 14x even necessary??

I will add that illumination is. It necessary for us, and neither is first focal plane either. Second focal plane will suit us well.

Natchez has some Burris XTRII 3-15x50 with G2B reticle for less than $575. I have both the 3-15 and the 4-20 models. Both scopes track flawlessly and the optical clarity is definitely good enough for what I do. One thing I have noticed on the 3-15 is that it has better depth of field from 200 yards on in as compared to the 4-20.

If you can up your budget $149 this Steiner is a pretty good deal from Cameraland I bought one a while back the optics are pretty clear and crisp, turret tracking has been spot on out to 1000 yds, has a pretty forgiving eyebox, made in the USA, 34mm, my only complaint is the parallax knob is a little stiff, but other than that it's a pretty damn good scope for the money. While it is no tier one scope IMO you are at least knocking on the door to tier one territory with it.

Attachments

• Steine-p4xi_4-16_Brochure.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 89
Reactions: Hokageelite
Budget?

I don't speak opinion...I simply speak Facts,as I'm not into fucking around.

That's along the lines of what I thought you would say.

The point of this online message board forum is for like-minded individuals to share useful and help each other out with information as it pertains to the listed topics. You joined this forum just about 24 hours ago and all 85 posts (as if this writing) haven't added a single constructive thing to any discussion.

The vast majority of us are here to learn, share knowledge, and improve. I suggest you revise your thought process with your shit posts and think about helping or absorbing information rather than vomiting useless bullshit.

Good luck.

Hey y’all, I’m looking for a good value optic option for my .308 RPR. My range has paper targets at 100/200/300, and steel at 100/240/340, with a 600 yard shot every 2 weeks, which I’ll be able to do very minimally due to work schedule, so I’m looking something mainly to perform well at 100-300. My girl and I enjoy just ringing steel, as well as trying to get nice groupings on paper, but we don’t need a super impressive optic and reticle with all the prs features. Just something to put some good groupings on paper and enjoy shooting, as we’re not going to be doing any competitions or anything. I’m aware of the capabilities of the RPR and that I won’t be maximizing it currently, but gives us both a lot of room to grow into that.

I currently have a Sig Sauer m400 Tread rifle with the Sig Sierra3 BDX 3.5-10x on it and seeing some great groups with it. However I don’t know if it will be a great option or the higher power versions for my RPR, other than just hitting steel every time. Although the BDX reticles have been fairly accurate, and the system makes it so dialing isn’t really necessary. Appreciate opinions on using this system for it.

Other options I am currently intrigued by are the Bushnell Nitro 5-20 SFP, Bushnell Match Pro, the Arken EP-4. im currently seeing amazing pricing on the Bushnell Nitro for $219.99 and would love any feedback y’all have on that. Other than that I am looking to spend $500-$600 to serve my purpose of use, and I have found these all inside that budget. Open to other options that can serve this purpose, but these are the options I have narrowed it down to. Also, what is the ideal magnification range for this purpose, is more than 14x even necessary??

I will add that illumination is. It necessary for us, and neither is first focal plane either. Second focal plane will suit us well.
I havent put hands on it but the offerings from Arken optics are getting out there and people seem to be liking them.

I'm almost curious to try one out just to see what the good rumblings are about.

If I dare opine.... based on a singular experience. I've been happy with my Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 SFP (MOA) scope on my RPR 6.5CM. Was about $640 at the time (2 years ago). I have no basis for comparison with other scopes.

Natchez has some Burris XTRII 3-15x50 with G2B reticle for less than $575. I have both the 3-15 and the 4-20 models. Both scopes track flawlessly and the optical clarity is definitely good enough for what I do. One thing I have noticed on the 3-15 is that it has better depth of field from 200 yards on in as compared to the 4-20.
Thanks for the input, ill put do some research on this one and check it out! The only store near me that has anything I can actually look at is Sportsmans. My gun store is a Vortex dealer so I don't have those options. Does Sportsmans have Burris optics??

If you can up your budget $149 this Steiner is a pretty good deal from Cameraland I bought one a while back the optics are pretty clear and crisp, turret tracking has been spot on out to 1000 yds, has a pretty forgiving eyebox, made in the USA, 34mm, my only complaint is the parallax knob is a little stiff, but other than that it's a pretty damn good scope for the money. While it is no tier one scope IMO you are at least knocking on the door to tier one territory with it.

Do they carry these at Sportsmans so that I can take a look through them and handle them??

https://arkenopticsusa.com/ could have something you like or
https://swampfoxoptics.com/ maybe or
https://vortexoptics.com/ hard to beat there warranty or maybe
https://athlonoptics.com/ heard they are pretty nice for the money
have you tried looking through all the posts with used scopes or new for sale scopes here in the forums .
What ever you get or decide on good luck and may it work well for you and your kids for many years .
Yeah i am interested in an Arken, as well as a couple of the Athlons as well. A few people have pushed for a swampfox kentucky long or patriot. My issue is that most of these I do not have the option of handling them and getting to look through them, as stores around me don't have them. I don't really want to invest money into an optic without getting to handle it.

Reactions: acudaowner
Take a look at the Midas Tac from Athlon. It will do anything you want and then some.

Give @gr8fuldoug at CameralandNY a call or send him a PM and he will take good care of you.
The Midas is very intriguing to me! All reviews and vidoes i have seen lead me to believe it would be a great option. What i wonder however though, are these reticles offering more than what i need, and therefore costing me money on features i will not use??

I havent put hands on it but the offerings from Arken optics are getting out there and people seem to be liking them.

I'm almost curious to try one out just to see what the good rumblings are about.
I am curious to try them out as well after seeing a few video reviews on them. However, I have yet to find a video review by an individual who actually purchased the scope, and not just gifted one for review. Makes me hesitant to just go out there and buy one. Its not efficient to me to just buy one and see if i like it, then be stuck with it, or sell for a loss. Does anyone know if they, or other companies have a risk-free trial type of option, allowing you to return the optic within a time period?? This would be awesome to know, as i am limited to vortex and whatever used optics are at my gun shop, and whatever is at Sportsmans.

If I dare opine.... based on a singular experience. I've been happy with my Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 SFP (MOA) scope on my RPR 6.5CM. Was about $640 at the time (2 years ago). I have no basis for comparison with other scopes.
I hear nothing but good about these. Do you mind telling me more about your purpose of use with the rifle, so i can better understand if that will work for me??

I used a fixed 10x for years and it did very well. I wouldn't let a fixed power limit your options.
Not opposed to a fixed i guess, i mean i end up basically on the 10x on my sig as it is already. But with poor vision, having a higher magnification range would help me out for sure.

Increased X's "helping" is a ruse,at best.

I can only lead you to water and wouldn't make you drink,even if I could...because this shit cracks me the fuck up.(grin)
Whats the ruse?? If being able to see my poa a lot better, wouldnt that be worth the investment?? i can see why it wouldn't really matter for smacking steel, but i see it clearly helping me with groupings on paper to have the help of getting closer and not having to squint.

I hear nothing but good about these. Do you mind telling me more about your purpose of use with the rifle, so i can better understand if that will work for me??

I shoot prone at paper targets. The only local range (county sheriff) allows only prone or bench rifle shooting. And, the benches are rickety portable benches that are too short for my rifle. So, the ground works for me... and I'm the only "rickety" part of the equation. ;)

I don't compete, except the rare F-class match.... just so I can shoot at 600 yards. I'm not really there to compete. I'm not an "F-class guy." I have an RPR on a Harris bipod and a rear bag.

Outdoor rifle ranges are few and far between here. I'm a recreational shooter. The farthest shots I've made are at 1,000 yards. Most often is 100 - 300 yards.

Last edited:
Do they carry these at Sportsmans so that I can take a look through them and handle them??
Closest Sportsman Warehouse that has one in stock to you is in ND. If you were interested in it I would check with Camera Land and see what their return policy is.

Don't take just my word on the P4Xi this guy is very well respected in the optics world...……...

Last edited:
Euro-optic has Gen 1 Vortex Vipers PST's on sale. I just picked up a 4x16 for $469 that I will be putting on my Larue 6.5 CM. Yes, the Gen II's have a number of improvements, but they are almost twice the price. If you want to stay under $500 this might be a good choice.

Or, as others have recommended, if you're ok with used checking this forum's for sale section is a good alternative. SWFA also has a sample list where they sell used/demo scopes. I have bought a couple of different scopes off of the list and they are very conservatively rated. Demo A is indistinguishable from brand new and Demo B is nearly as good.

I give less than zero fucks about your raging Estrogen Levels or Emotions and you are sucking the wrong ass.

Hint.k
Why dont you just answer the questions that are being asked? You run around trashing all these optics, that "arent worth a fuck" and when asked what you think is good, you turn into a smart ass snobby girl that shoots off at the mouth and doesnt back up your shit talking comments you started with.

Answer up, back up your bitching, whiney posts... or shut up!

Closest Sportsman Warehouse that has one in stock to you is in ND. If you were interested in it I would check with Camera Land and see what their return policy is.

Don't take just my word on the P4Xi this guy is very well respected in the optics world...……...

that glass looks hella nice

Reactions: Steel+Killer
For whats its worth... My nikon FX1000's are VERY clear... just as clear as the entry level night forces that friends have. Ive shot them back to back... no difference in clarity.

For the money, my Tract Toric HD PRS is the best ive had for the money. $1100 with military discount, hands down more clear than my gen 2 viper. Slightly more clear than the gen 2 razor on my friends custom.. My only beef with it, the field of view is a little small compared to some other scopes in this class... but for $1100... the german glass is insane, the turrets are amazing and the zero stop is very functional and badass... best 1100 ive ever dropped on glass.

I shoot prone at paper targets. The only local range (county sheriff) allows only prone or bench rifle shooting. And, the benches are rickety portable benches that are too short for my rifle. So, the ground works for me... and I'm the only "rickety" part of the equation. ;)

I don't compete, except the rare F-class match.... just so I can shoot at 600 yards. I'm not really there to compete. I'm not an "F-class guy." I have an RPR on a Harris bipod and a rear bag.

Outdoor rifle ranges are few and far between here. I'm a recreational shooter. The farthest shots I've made are at 1,000 yards. Most often is 100 - 300 yards.
i will check this on out at my shop! thank you!

Euro-optic has Gen 1 Vortex Vipers PST's on sale. I just picked up a 4x16 for $469 that I will be putting on my Larue 6.5 CM. Yes, the Gen II's have a number of improvements, but they are almost twice the price. If you want to stay under $500 this might be a good choice.

Or, as others have recommended, if you're ok with used checking this forum's for sale section is a good alternative. SWFA also has a sample list where they sell used/demo scopes. I have bought a couple of different scopes off of the list and they are very conservatively rated. Demo A is indistinguishable from brand new and Demo B is nearly as good.
will be checking these out at my shop this week! I am not opposed to used at all, I have a 4-14 Primary Arms SLx ACSS HUD DMR 5.56 that i picked up for my tread used at the shop for $150. it worked really well for me, its only not on that rifle because i scored a killer deal on the Sig BDX combo and i had to cop it. 3.5-10x with the kilo 1400 for $475, and i love it. if i cant decide on a optic ill end up throwing the sig on the RPR and put the Primary back on the tread rifle, until i find something i like better for that. Hah i also might just get a higher powered BDX for my RPR because i really like it, however i want to try some of the options yall have suggested and am open to better options than the sig.

For whats its worth... My nikon FX1000's are VERY clear... just as clear as the entry level night forces that friends have. Ive shot them back to back... no difference in clarity.

For the money, my Tract Toric HD PRS is the best ive had for the money. $1100 with military discount, hands down more clear than my gen 2 viper. Slightly more clear than the gen 2 razor on my friends custom.. My only beef with it, the field of view is a little small compared to some other scopes in this class... but for $1100... the german glass is insane, the turrets are amazing and the zero stop is very functional and badass... best 1100 ive ever dropped on glass.
That Nikon is the model thats been suggested to me the most in various places, that its starting to feel like id be nuts not to cop one. Dang that Tract sounds pretty badass. Im not opposed to dropping $1000+ at some point, but i just do this for fun and think of the other guns i could buy with that $1100 vs one optic. But then i think, but i wouldn't need any other optic because its so good.

That Nikon is the model thats been suggested to me the most in various places, that its starting to feel like id be nuts not to cop one. Dang that Tract sounds pretty badass. Im not opposed to dropping $1000+ at some point, but i just do this for fun and think of the other guns i could buy with that $1100 vs one optic. But then i think, but i wouldn't need any other optic because its so good.
That’s how I feel. It’s so well made and works there’s no need for me to sell and upgrade. But for 500 or less.... can’t beat that Nikon. I paid $800 for my first one and it was and still is worth that much. Very good scope. When I saw the 4-16 for like 400 and the 6-24 for 500 ish, I bought one of each lol

Budget
$500 swfa 3-15
$1000 swfa 5-20
$1500-$2000 razor gen2 or kahles

Don’t be afraid of the px it’s your friend.

That’s how I feel. It’s so well made and works there’s no need for me to sell and upgrade. But for 500 or less.... can’t beat that Nikon. I paid $800 for my first one and it was and still is worth that much. Very good scope. When I saw the 4-16 for like 400 and the 6-24 for 500 ish, I bought one of each lol
hahah im dead. between the 4-16 and 6-24, which would be the better option. Do i really need the option of going past 16x all the way to 24x, when going to be 99% of the time shooting from 100-340, and maybe having time for the 600 yard shot here and there??

Budget
$500 swfa 3-15
$1000 swfa 5-20
$1500-$2000 razor gen2 or kahles

Don’t be afraid of the px it’s your friend.
whats the skinny with swfa?? i am seeing those brought up a lot here, reddit, and youtube.

They are pretty much ied proof, tough as nails track great , 50 caliber rated and have as good a warranty as anyone.

hahah im dead. between the 4-16 and 6-24, which would be the better option. Do i really need the option of going past 16x all the way to 24x, when going to be 99% of the time shooting from 100-340, and maybe having time for the 600 yard shot here and there??
No, you don’t. I’ve run a 16 in 1000 yard matches fine. What I hate about the Lower power optics, it’s really hard to see hits on paper at 100 when zeroing. If you have a spotting scope, awesome.. if not, the 6-24 would be better. I’m usually between 10-18x on mine when shooting matches from 400-1016 yards but I’ll use 20-24 when hitting paper

No, you don’t. I’ve run a 16 in 1000 yard matches fine. What I hate about the Lower power optics, it’s really hard to see hits on paper at 100 when zeroing. If you have a spotting scope, awesome.. if not, the 6-24 would be better. I’m usually between 10-18x on mine when shooting matches from 400-1016 yards but I’ll use 20-24 when hitting paper
Thats good to know, i do have a spotting scope though so i may be good with capping at 16x. But seems nice to have that extra when tryna see marks at 200/300

SWFA is definitely worth checking out. Their Super Sniper scopes may have a dopey name, but I own a bunch and they are generally a very good value. Optics are pretty solid and they are well built and rugged. If you can wait until April 15th, they generally put a bunch of their stuff on sale. SWFA also offers competitive prices on name brand scopes like Vortex, Nikon, etc.

If you are mostly shooting steel or critters 16X is more than enough power at the distances you plan on shooting. I have a bolt action in 6.5CM topped with a 16X scope and shoot steel out to 1000 yards. If you want to shoot paper at distance and need/want tiny little groups you will probably want to go with a higher power scope. (And, as Jmsscracken points out, scope can double as a spotting scope). But keep in mind that optics trump power. I'd rather have a super clear 12x scope than a muddy 24x scope.

Finally, much as I hate to agree with Bare There, there is something to be said for the simplicity of fixed power scopes. They will generally be tougher, lighter, more reliable and clearer than similarly priced variable power scopes. The tradeoff is that you lose a lot of flexibility. Really depends on the type of shooting you do.

Nikon is getting out of the riflescope part of their optics business. No way I would buy any Nikon scope because when parts run out to fix them you will be.... There's a thread somewhere here on the Hide about it.

The "new" Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 4.5-27x50, which has illumination, that I just got in is impressive compared to the Gen 1 version. Gonna stretch your budget to get into one but it's got one of the best reticles in the entire market regardless of price.

The Midas TAC doesn't have illume, if you have to have that feature then this scope is out, but it's at the top, or close to the top, as far as features and quality for the money

Bare There is mostly just having fun messing with people, he's a bit crusty, lol! He knows he's going to get banned quickly so he "goes for it", but often gives good advice if you can see through the.... Man I personally couldn't get into the SWFA SS's. Had a 20x, a 10x and three 3-15's, sure they are sturdy but the glass was lackluster and the reticles weren't what I prefer. But honestly I'm hard to please and am picky about what I like for the most part when it comes to a scopes feature set.

As I wrote the above I was contemplating which scopes, etc, I want to sell to buy more of the Gen2 Ares in mil, since it's basically the quality of the Midas TAC now, but with illume and my preferred kind of reticle.

If you want a SFP scope a good brand to also consider is Sightron.

Go for the Tango4 6-24 it’s a fantastic optic. I’ve sold several including to family members. Just put one on a Savage 338LM does fine. Taking it Nilgai hunting

Nikon is getting out of the riflescope part of their optics business. No way I would buy any Nikon scope because when parts run out to fix them you will be.... There's a thread somewhere here on the Hide about it.

The "new" Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 4.5-27x50, which has illumination, that I just got in is impressive compared to the Gen 1 version. Gonna stretch your budget to get into one but it's got one of the best reticles in the entire market regardless of price.

The Midas TAC doesn't have illume, if you have to have that feature then this scope is out, but it's at the top, or close to the top, as far as features and quality for the money

Bare There is mostly just having fun messing with people, he's a bit crusty, lol! He knows he's going to get banned quickly so he "goes for it", but often gives good advice if you can see through the.... Man I personally couldn't get into the SWFA SS's. Had a 20x, a 10x and three 3-15's, sure they are sturdy but the glass was lackluster and the reticles weren't what I prefer. But honestly I'm hard to please and am picky about what I like for the most part when it comes to a scopes feature set.

As I wrote the above I was contemplating which scopes, etc, I want to sell to buy more of the Gen2 Ares in mil, since it's basically the quality of the Midas TAC now, but with illume and my preferred kind of reticle.

If you want a SFP scope a good brand to also consider is Sightron.
sounds like you found the perfect optic for yourself!

Go for the Tango4 6-24 it’s a fantastic optic. I’ve sold several including to family members. Just put one on a Savage 338LM does fine. Taking it Nilgai hunting
ive definitely had eyes on a tango4/6, they look really nice. I currently have a Sierra3BDX 3.5-10 and love it, and wouldnt mind another sig scope. i am tempted to get the tango4 1-4x, tango6 1-6, or whiskey5 1-5x for a LVPO for one of my AR's. Very intrigued in the Swampfox Tomahawk as well.

Reactions: Paulkx5