• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for a good riflesmith

Broadsword

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2003
Grovetown Georgia
I have a rifle project I'm working on and will be needing a quality gunsmith.
I have a Remington 5R barrelled action I'm putting into a vintage 1966 ADL stock. The rifle will be set up with Redfield JR mount and rings with a John Unertl scope. I need a smith who I can trust to inlet the 1966 ADL stock for my Williams BDL bottom metal, open the barrel chanel for the 5R barrel and bed the action into the stock. I also need the scope mounted and boresighted. I haven't decided on enlarging the scope mount screws.
I'm looking for someone local in Colorado ie Woodland Park, Colorado Springs, Canyon City, Pueblo, etc. but I'm not against sending my stuff out to be worked on.
I'd like to go to someone who is popular with the members here but someone who doesn't have a year long back log.
Thanks,
Broadsword

Re: Looking for a good riflesmith

my only personal experience is with kelbys in ohio.top notch and usually a quick turn around time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my only personal experience is with kelbys in ohio.top notch and usually a quick turn around time. </div></div>

+1... Jim Kelbly is a straight shooter. He has several well qualified rifle smiths working for him in a state of the art machine shop. They do A LOT of very good work there. I've been there several times and had a tour of the place. Fine equipment and smart people operating it.

http://www.kelbly.com/ This will give you a place to start.

Jered Joplin at APA in Georgia. Best bet if you are looking for HIGH end work by a fair and honest builder.. I also know Kelbly's is a very experienced builder but don't they only do BR stuff???

they built a 1k benchrest rig for me,but i dont recall seeing anything that suggested that benchrest was there only deal.however you may be correct.

+1 for gundoktr Jim has done some outstanding work for me and a number of the other guys I compete with in F-class. Jim's work is first rate, turnaround time is great and the rates are very reasonable.

I had my rifle done by Gre-tan Rifles in Rifle, CO 81650. Greg is very particular about what you want and his work shows quality. I had mine trued, bolt/firing pin hole bushed and rebarreled.

one thing though. When you give him your spec, make sure you tell him to headspace your chamber to within +0.001" of the standard 'Go' guage.

Well, as it always seems to happen, my rifle has taken another direction. I'm now dropping it in a McMillan GP/HTG I picked up here on the hide for a song. Still going with the Williams bottom metal. I now have the 1966 ADL walnut stock and vintage trigger assy. that I don't know what I'm going to do with.
Broadsword