• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a gun safe

oldirtdog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2011
Georgia
I am in the market for a gun safe and looking to keep it under $1200. Any suggestions or recommendations on where to pick one up for a good price? Any help is appreciated...

Re: Looking for a gun safe

A friend of mine just bought a FAT BOY Jr. safe. Purchased from Gander Mountain on sale a couple weeks ago for $1100 or so.

Fairly heavy duty and larger physical size for the money spent.

It is not the best top of the line safe, but there again it is not several thousand dollars either.

Made in USA is most important.

Cannon, Liberty, Fort Knox, Summit.

I just bought the JR locally,1175 plus 150 delevered to the house,found out later they had it on sale for 999.99 at Xmas,around 720pds,its not as deep as the reg fat boy,on mine before i put anything in it or bolted it to the floor if I opened the door the safe would tilt/fall forward and the door would catch it.

the only thing i dont like about the safe is the combination dial style lock.Its feels cheep,light weight aluminum stamped out dial.Its allso starts out turning left for the combo.Im use to regular money/concret filled style safes that have a heavy feel to the lock.I guess the electronic lock opt would fix that?

hope this helps
Rob
grin.gif

Thanks for the suggestions guys...I like the layout and specs on the fatboy jr. for the price, it seems to be a good value for my price range..i'll have to check out my local gander mt. to see if they can swing me a deal for a floor model..

Anyone else have experience with the dial lock vs. electronic? Is it worth the extra $100?

I upgraded to a digital combo on my American Sec. and like it alot, would recommend for sure.

All things considered, Liberty builds a really nice safe. The Fat Boy Jr. is a great safe for the money. I would spend the extra money on the electronic lock because the dial quickly gets to be a PITA. Although the cool thing about the dial is that many people couldn't open the safe even with the combo, it's kinda tricky until you get the hang of it.

I'm not a fan of credit cards, but if you buy from Gander Mountain and open a credit card you get a nice discount. I bought mine on thanksgiving day and the had a promotion going for every $100 you spend you get a percentage back on a gift card.

Between the two I got a few hundred off.

Electronic dials can fail, I'm not a huge fan of them. I have a Summit Rainier, but it's a bit our of your price range. I've looked at the Fat Boy Jr before and it didn't seem like a bad safe for the money. Anything is better than nothing.

I like my digital combo on my fat boy the jr is a good safe also and I was going to get that one but gander mountain had a sale on the fat boy so I spent the extra few hundred dollars and upgraded. The door storage for pistols and documents is really nice to have. Like I said in the gun safe pics thread make sure you can place your safe in a secure location any safe can be broken into with the right tools and time.

They say the electric lock is jus as safe as the dial. I don't trust it though. My S&G dial lock will probably be here after I'm gone.

I try to put myself in a position that I will never be in a hurry to open the safe.

The cheaper safe I liked was the Winchester safe for the price I found they had better fire ratings. Not sure how they stand in burglary protection compared to big names like Fort Knox. I'm just not in an area where I have to worry about people breaking in. I got the 19 gun safe delivered for I wanna say $900 ish? Just my .02

I'm kind of surprised these heavy things are imported at all.
Are these the only US brands? What makes them better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Made in USA is most important.

Cannon, Liberty, Fort Knox, Summit. </div></div>

Stronger steel. Better welds. And you kept your money right here in the USA!
These are not the only brands. There are others. These made it to my short list when I was shopping.

If weight was a concern do you think they would import cars?

apples and oranges comparison gun safes vs cars.
But I'm now a bit wiser because of your answer
smile.gif

I am looking for a safe too.

This old safe was not a gunsafe, it was a fire safe that was in the basement of a building that flooded, it was full of mud when the owner called me to help him clean up. He told me I could have the safe if I would haul it off, so I did. I washed out the mud, dried it, oiled the rusty areas, and since it doesn't have the attractive upolstered interiors that come with most gunsafes, I bought a half sheet of MDF, and cut out a simple two row gunrack to use in it.
3940533670_2eef489594_z.jpg

At a minimum you want a 10 gauge steel body. Pins on all four sides of the door is good too.

Another thing to keep in mind is usually doors with internal hinges only open about 90 degrees. External hinges will open almost 180. Generally.

I didn't really think about that until I actually started going to stores and looking at them.

I have reservations about gun safes.

Without getting into pro's and con's; I would consider one for fire protection, and to make a legal distinction about keeping my firearms locked away.

I would have zero interest in moving one once it was set up, and once the guns are secure enough to be considered inaccessible to the casual observer, I have no illusions about ultimate security. Given time and determination, any physical security can be defeated. I would be more reliant upon loud stand-alone alarms, etc.

With this in mind, I turn my interest to locked, fire resistant rooms. I figure a steel door and frame, good locks, and multiple layers of drywall lining a roomy closet buys me about what I want. I can build it myself, and I don't have to spend a lot, or move a mass capable of anchoring a frigate. If I move, it stays in place, and a build a new one at the new destination.

Greg

Have had safes for over 30. Only down side is where to put it. Like in the garage, so that it can be put (dropped/shoved/pulled) into the back of a pick-up truck and driven off. Or on the second floor where it sags the floor from the weight.

Good luck

Jerry

Ps: They are a bitch to carry up the stairs to a second floor apartment; a hair raising ride to loose your grip and ride it back down the same stairs when moving out....

I love the Zanotti gun safes. They are modular. The six pieces fit together really tight and allow the safe to be moved by only two persons. This is a big plus if you have ever tried to lug a heavy, bulky gun safe up or down a set of stairs. Plus as previously mentioned, they are made in the USA.

The bad thing about putting a safe on the second floor is should you ever have a fire, it has a high probability of ending up in the basement.

The bad thing about the basement is the potential for water intrusion. Again if you have a fire you will probably end up with three feet of water in the basement.

Some safes (I believe Stack on) have a waterproof seal around the door and are rated to a certain depth of water for a certain amount of time.

In the basement, in a corner is usually the safest place for your safe.

You also should have some sort of dehumidifier in the safe. It can be a replaceable desiccant, a battery powered dehumidifier, or a plug in dehumidifier.

Sorry, just things that should be considered when locating, purchasing and using a safe.

Hopefully some of this helps.

OK, do any of you all know anybody that has had a safe go thru a fire??

What happened?

did they live in the city and the firedept showed up real quick and put it out?

Or like my buddy that lives out in the boonies" the Free state of Jones county" kinda like the movie Deiverance they dont even have a voluntary fire dept close.Hole house built out of noty pine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strip Poker 388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, do any of you all know anybody that has had a safe go thru a fire??

What happened?

did they live in the city and the firedept showed up real quick and put it out?

Or like my buddy that lives out in the boonies" the Free state of Jones county" kinda like the movie Deiverance they dont even have a voluntary fire dept close.Hole house built out of noty pine.

</div></div>Here's one safe that survived a seriously HOT house fire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1a3ebP4mo4
Watching this helped me to decide to buy a Liberty Lincoln 35.

BTW, those Winchester safes for sale at Sam's Club and Costco are not recommended. There is a local safe company that goes to each gun show and brings one along with to show how easy it is to open up. The issue is the sides are only spot welded every 6 inches, not a continuous seam weld. A couple quick blows with a sled hammer to those spot welds and they pop. Then you just peel back the metal like a tin can. I wish I had pictures of the safe they opened and bring with them to the gun shows. They said it took less than 30 mins with one man and a single sledgehammer.

Not to mention they are made in China.

about how many bolt action rifles with scopes will this safe hold?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnthonyL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, those Winchester safes for sale at Sam's Club and Costco are not recommended. There is a local safe company that goes to each gun show and brings one along with to show how easy it is to open up. The issue is the sides are only spot welded every 6 inches, not a continuous seam weld. A couple quick blows with a sled hammer to those spot welds and they pop. Then you just peel back the metal like a tin can. I wish I had pictures of the safe they opened and bring with them to the gun shows. They said it took less than 30 mins with one man and a single sledgehammer.

The safe is made under contract buy Cannon that is made in the US.

Not to mention they are made in China. </div></div>

Some time ago I had chance to talk individual who opened safes. His speciality was electronic ones. His advice was S&G dial locks. Tough and seldom fail. Some cheap electronic locks could be opened by popping keypad off and shorting or giving some voltage. Sucks to not be able to access a safe because of small electronic failure.

That's the other reason I like my Patriot...it has a two key backup for when the keypad fails. One is the cylinder type key, the other is a funky half moon shape. You need both keys to open the safe.

I would check around for some used ones also. I was able to score a screaming deal on a Liberty Presidential 22 gun safe used for $500 bucks and some plumbing work to a guys house. He was looking to get a bigger safe so it work out for the both of us. The warranty and ownership papers transfered to me and it works perfect! It's only like 2 yrs old and in great shape.

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_presidential.php

I like my amsec, and i watched an electric lock fail in the store, that did it for me

Let's think about it this way; what is the value of the potential contents of the safe?

Safes can be quite expensive, but when you consider what you are putting in them it really puts it into perspective.

Make sure you search on YouTube for breaking into a safe, there's a ton of videos on there showing how easy it is to get into some safes with just a crowbar. Yes a determined thief can get into anything given enough time and tools, but we want to make it as hard as we can within budget, right?

I did a lot of research before I bought mine. Fort Knox is the best, followed by Liberty and Browning.