• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a KAC SR-25

RGAmos

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
I have decided to buy a KAC SR-25. I will probably use the rifle for paper punching or may just put it on my desk at home next to my unfired Barrett 82. Unfortunately, I can't find a lot of info for the few SR-25 models available.

The KAC website shows an SR-25 carbine. Impact Guns shows a Mk11/SR-25 carbine with a SS match barrel. I assume the only difference between the Mk11/SR-25 carbine and the SR-25 carbine shown on KAC's website is the SS bbl on the Mk11/SR-25 vs the carbon steel Cr lined barrel on the SR-25. Does anyone know whether there are other differences? I wonder whether the carbon steel Cr lined barrel might not be preferred for non-target use.

Impact Guns also shows an SR-25 Light Weight Match Rifle (20-in barrel). This rifle, while not inexpensive, is priced considerably less than the other SR-25's on their site. Does anyone know why this LW rifle is appreciably less expensive than the carbines shown on their site.

I also see on Impact Guns site a Mk11 Mod 1 SR-25. Does anyone know the weight of this rifle and whether it is really worth the relatively high price?

Re: Looking for a KAC SR-25

what does it matter what the weight is? got an extra thick stack of papers to hold down that the 82 cant take care of?

I purchased an SR25 Lightweight Match from cmdecker (Cliff) here on the hide. Based on the 3 range trips I've managed to make with it so far, I am quite happy with it (it shoots sub .6 MOA consistently as long as I do my part and I am only just through the break-in process (also noticing the groups are tightening up as I move fwd with the break-in). Not sure if I can honestly say it was worth every penny of the ~$5K I spent on the rifle as I have a couple of AR10Ts that shoot as well as it does... but, I wanted (and felt I needed) a KAC MK11 or SR.

Like you, I was looking at a KAC MK11 vs the SR, but could not justify the additional cost ~$3500 for a SS barrel (vs C-M) and MK11 markings which were the only real differences that mattered to yours' truly (do a google enabled search on the hide, there are a few threads here that speak to the differences b/w the models in more detail; alternatively, contact Cliff and he'll give you the real skinny).

I also could not find any specifics on why the SR25 is priced considerably less... rumor has it that the retail prices for the MK11 reflect the price Knights' sells the platform to the USG for (with a full deployment kit), and, as you may know the DOD typically requires contract recipients to sell to the civilian market at the same price a item is sold to the USG (the rub is that MK11s sold to civies do not (usually) include the full deployment kit). Again, I cannot confirm this, it reflects only what I've heard from others.

Go to gunbroker...there is one on there now that could be a good buy. I really wanted a MK11 but I had the same issue. 8k for a semi? I would have a tough time justifying that. In my research, the SR is the same gun minus barrel and some other KAC parts that you still can purchase from them and add to an SR, (URX II rail). I think the newer MK11 and definitely the M110 have the ambi. controls. That is cool but still not worth the higher stipend. I have heard others speak of the early SR-25 Match guns to be well built, and sometimes more accurate and reliable than the newer mil-spec. I do not have any personal knowledge of this. I love them and just acquired an SR-25 Match on GB for 3K. I guess I'm a KAC "Fanboy"...whatever. Good luck on your hunt.

Gunbroker is your best bet for finding one for sale. Also, there are some for sale on the ARFCOM EE right now as well (incl. a Match and a Mk 11 Mod 1).

Out of curiosity...why did you settle on the SR-25 versus any of the other 308 semi-auto platform rifles currently available at this time?

Finally...if you have an unfired, NIB 82A1 just sitting around, buy a DPMS LR-308 rifle (any of them) and spend the $2k you'll save on the KAC on BMG ammo and mags/accessories/optics for the DPMS!!!
wink.gif

Just call Lawmens you can get brand new SR25's for 4750 shipped. Thats where evrybody else gets them.

Rich

I have been in contact with cmdecker and he seems like the kind of man I could do business with. I will probably get the Mk11 carbine. He does not have any onhand and the ones he has on order are spoken for. He has agreed to contact KAC tomorrow and check on delivery and current price. Now the potential problem. Cmdecker tells me there will be a price increase of maybe 20% for guns purchased after current year end. I also remember now in another forum a KAC spokesman saying the current prices were holiday special prices (or something to that effect) and the prices would increase next year. If the current prices hold, I will buy the rifle. If the price increases by 20% or so, I have to ask myself whether I am prepared to pay the increased price and everytime I look at the rifle be reminded that a few days cost me an additional 20% or try another approach.

I am no elitist but have learned the hard way that buying used rifles is not a good idea for me. I find four advertised on Gunbroker, but everyone is used. On GunsAmerica I find two LW Match rifles, but this is not what I want and are being offered by sellers who have not as yet completed a transaction on GA. I also find an SR-25K but this ones comes from a private individual and this is the same as being used to me. I will not comment on the XM110 pkg for sale.

Who is Lawman referenced above as being a potential source? Is this guy a dealer and does anyone have his contact info?

Hey, just to throw this out there ... some people may argue. If your getting the SR for the name then thats cool. If you want a great rifle that shoots, well find something else. I have shot issued MK11's and found them to be just an OK rifle. They are 1MOA guns, however some are worse than others. My last one was about 1.5 MOA gun at best. If I paid a KAC price for a 1.5 MOA gun I wouldnt be happy. But it is cool to say you have KAC SR!

That goes to what I thought though. The older SR-25 Match rifles seem to shoot more accurate than the new service rifles. I have not handled or shot a Mk11 or M110, but every one of the SR-25 Match rifles that I had looked at for purchase had a sub minute proof target. Just throwin' that out there. I was waiting for the Iron Ridge match guns to get finished but came across the SR I found and bought it. I still might get the Iron Ridge some day.

one of my buddies said if you can find a SR with a low serial number they are way better in the accuracy department. As far as the test targets go, yea mine had those also. They would shoot fine(sub moa) then every few rounds (usually around 5) would through a flier 3-4 MOA out. This was constant with just about all of our rifles. So multiple shooter and multiple rifles. Im sure someone on here has way more insight than I do in this field. But this is just what I observed 1st hand.

I've heard this same phenomena about the 4-5 MOA flyer out of nowhere from another source familiar with these. Would be curious as to what (other than shooter) could cause this. Finally, if I had a bolt gun that did the same sort thing I'd probably dump it.

The fliers are probably the last round and its common with AR10 type rifles. Not to mention Semi Autos are far less forgiving to shoot, so any lapse in the fundamentals will cause an issue, especially on the last round in the magazine. If you only lot 5 rounds in you can expect the round almost every time if you are not spot on.

What happens when the bolt locks to the rear it upsets the balance and harmonics of the rifle and causes the shooter to throw the shot. We see it in a lot of shooters and we have worked with well over 350 shooters using MK11 Mod 0s.

The main issue is, it's not a boltgun and the idea that you can shoot fine with a bolt will translate to the same accuracy with a gasser is false. The shooter has to be on top of his game or else the system will exploit these deficiencies in shooting fundamentals and give you less than desirable results downrange. We see it time and time again, the 3 recoils in an AR10 type rifle really effect not only the system but shooter if you are not practiced at it.

Well I ordered the Mk11 carbine from CMdecker. Looking forward to receiving it. Appreciate all the comments offered re this topic.

Congrats RGA...I'm positive you will be happy, just post some pics and range reports please. Thank you Frank, I was hoping you would chime in as you have seen a number of different gas operationally/training.

Hey guys,

Referring back to the fliers. This was observed in multiple shooters (all snipers) from some of the most respected schools and backgrounds ie SOTIC Instructors and USMC Urban & High Angle Instructors. These guys are not just basic sniper school grads. All the fliers were during quals and training and usually around the 5th or so round mark, during a string of fire. Not the last round in mag or even the course of fire. Something to do with the weapon. Some suppressed and some unsuppressed (shoot pref). But it is true on the Gas Guns being way less forgiving and the slightest lapse in fundamentals and concentration will throw the round.

+1 for Casey at Lawmens. I placed an individual order with him last month (not a KAC), and he was very helpful.