• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking For A Little Help With My Dillon

Gosu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2012
I load 45 acp and 9mm on my Dillon 550 and all my .308 on my Single Stage stuff. I possibly found a reasonably priced 550 with a strong mount that I would like to use for the .308. Why would I stop using the single? Well, a couple reasons; first off my bench now has drawers in it and the single hangs over the side and does not permit the drawer to open. In addition, having the four heads always set up does make for a nice simple sit down, double check and reload.

I would get the Whidden tool head and the heavier bearing case holder. I use Redding dies and use a Redding Comp. powder thrower that I would like to implement into the Dillon. If not I could funnel it if need be, but keep very consistent shot placement with the thrower right now, so I have chosen to this point to use that if I can for now.

So, what would I need to get and who else is using something similar? Open for suggestions.

BTW, the single would remain on another bench as a puller and other misc prep work.

I load all pistol and the 223 on my 550. Same with you. Match ammo on the single stage. I have a buddy uses his to make 308 and he's had good luck with. Key is with rifle in the dillon is the powder. If your using flake or ball powder the dillon powder throw has always been spot on. I tried about 2 years ago to do 30-06 on the 550. Worked great EXCEPT I was using 4895 which is a extruded powder. It didn't meter for shit in the dillon plus it didn't wanna filter through the powder funnel in my die. It made a huge ass mess. Anyways in the blue press catalog or on dillons website go to the BL 550 press options. They sell a die that let's you use any powder measure with the 550. Hope this helps!

Besides pistol, I reload .223 and .308 on my 550B for my gas guns and both use Whidden tool heads and Dillon dies. It produces good ammo and the only issue I have had is controlling runout. This has primarily been caused by the expander being drawn through the neck with brass with thicker neck walls being more problematic. Varget and R-15 actually meter pretty well with the Dillon powder measure but you will get throw to throw variation. Uniquetek carries some nice accessories for Dillon presses and especially like the micrometer powder bar adjustment. Putting a powder baffle in the hopper seems to help as well.

I like Uniquetek, I have a another order into them right now. I am looking for what I need for the Redding Powder dispenser to fit into the Whidden tool head.

I started loading some .308 on my 650 for comparison purposes. I've changed to CFE223 which meters far better than Varget, 4064, or other extruded powders so I found that charge weights were dead on. Second, I have the Unique-Tek clamping kit installed so the tool head is solid.

I can de-cap/size with a Forster Shoulder Bump/Neck size bushing die and seat bullets with either a Hornady CG New Dimension or Forster BR Seating Die. Compared with my single stage loaded ammo I see no changes in accuracy. .3 MOA at 300 yards. Finished rounds were nice and true for OAL and runout but I may change the tool head to a Whidden with the floating die feature.

The big issue before in using the Progressive vs Single stage was the consistency or powder drops using the extruded powders. Let's just say that I am so pleased with CFE223 right now that I will use a lot less Varget in the future. Glad I bought a case of it when Powder Valley had their "we'll pay the hazmat" promo back in October.

I started loading some .308 on my 650 for comparison purposes. I've changed to CFE223 which meters far better than Varget, 4064, or other extruded powders so I found that charge weights were dead on. Second, I have the Unique-Tek clamping kit installed so the tool head is solid.

I can de-cap/size with a Forster Shoulder Bump/Neck size bushing die and seat bullets with either a Hornady CG New Dimension or Forster BR Seating Die. Compared with my single stage loaded ammo I see no changes in accuracy. .3 MOA at 300 yards. Finished rounds were nice and true for OAL and runout but I may change the tool head to a Whidden with the floating die feature.

The big issue before in using the Progressive vs Single stage was the consistency or powder drops using the extruded powders. Let's just say that I am so pleased with CFE223 right now that I will use a lot less Varget in the future. Glad I bought a case of it when Powder Valley had their "we'll pay the hazmat" promo back in October.

I have used about a pound out of my 8lbs of CFE223 so far. I am ok with it's results so far, I have had almost 100fps difference when going from a 60 degree day to a 90 degree day. What are you using, I am loading 178 amax, 175 smk, 168 hpbt.