• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for a "local" gunsmith in South FL to rechamber 30.06 Barrel to .308

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Hey everyone,

I have a custom built R700 long action that I had built in a .30-06... (almost 8 years ago) It's a blueprinted rifle, and was designed a shoot a very long OAL .30-06 rounds that I hand load The thing shoots .25 moa (insane accurate)... Problem is I don't really shoot it much anymore because hand loading every single time to go shoot got a little old for me...

the rifle has a Rock Creek SS 5R 26" barrel chambered in .30-06... I want to cut the rifle down to maybe 20-22 inches and re-chamber to a .308

Does anyone know a reputable gunsmith they can recommend in south Florida (or Florida I guess lol) that can do this job for me?

also, will my bolt work with a .308 or do I need a new bolt too?

edit - it's a M24 contour barrel

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just a thought, with a semi long chamber like the 30-06 you may run out of full diameter barrel shank.
Listing the barrel taper may help with the feasibility of this.

R

Thought I put that up. It's a M24 contour

Also, not sure what you mean. Been a little bit since I was in this hobby shooting. I don't understand what running out of a full diameter barrel shank is lol.

Your m24 barrel started out at the breech end with a 4” long cylindrical section which was 1.2” in diameter. Depending on how much of that was removed prior to install, along with the the length of the current thread(plus lug thickness), and the length of the 30-06 case, chopping it to rechamber in .308 may put you too far forward into the tapered area of the barrel. Some smith’s will have issues with this some won’t. In a worst case scenario, there isn’t enough diameter in that area to create the new shoulder.

ahh gotcha... I understand now. I'm thinking it's a no taper barrel, but that's not the case... so might have to get a new barrel possibly. Ouch... I guess no way of knowing unless I take the rifle to a smith for him to look. dang

What if I rechambered to 300 wm? Should be bigger than 3006 so can ream over the 3006 where with 308,you'd have to undersize. At least they have more off the shelf ammo for 300 wm for precision shooting

What if I rechambered to 300 wm? Should be bigger than 3006 so can ream over the 3006 where with 308,you'd have to undersize. At least they have more off the shelf ammo for 300 wm for precision shooting

Going from 3006 (.473 bolt face diameter) to a 300wm (.540 bolt face diameter) would require getting a new bolt as well.

Instead of getting a new bolt, you could just get an M16 extractor installed and have the bolt face opened up to .540