• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for a mentor

KaiserNorton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey, I'll admit it, I've not given much thought to the idea of the usefulness of a suppressor for a hunting situation. I'm mainly interested for coyote hunting. There's been a few situations where I've had multiple dogs come in and at the first shot they scatter in every direction.

Would a supressed .223 or similar increase a hunters chances in a mulitple animal situation? I've never been around a shooter with one - about how loud would they be (realize this is a subjective measure)? I've been looking through some of FAQ's for info about the permit process (not much luck so far), can someone outline this for me?

Thanks, and be gentle.....

The Kaiser

Re: Looking for a mentor

Yeah, you'll want to hunt coyotes with one. It's cool.
Aside of their usefulness there's no permit process. You locate a dealer within your state, pick out a product and he'll walk you through the process.. You pay a one time $200 tax for every NFA item you purchase, and send that in with what's called a form 4. Once you have an approved tax stamp, you get the can. Form 4 approval right now takes as much as 5 months. The two cans I last purchased took 6 months total from the time that I picked out what I wanted and paid my dealer to the time I had them in hand.

A suppressed supersonic round will still scare most animals. The bullet breaking the sound barrier maks a farly loud crack. They however will not know where the shot came from.

A suppressed subsonic round like the .300 blk does not have this but the sound of bullet impact on the ground or into the side of an animal is still loud enof to scare others. Deer I have seen, some scatter and some are as dumb as can be and just stand there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A suppressed supersonic round will still scare most animals. The bullet breaking the sound barrier maks a farly loud crack. They however will not know where the shot came from.

A suppressed subsonic round like the .300 blk does not have this but the sound of bullet impact on the ground or into the side of an animal is still loud enof to scare others. Deer I have seen, some scatter and some are as dumb as can be and just stand there. </div></div>

I shot 2 deer a couple weeks ago while suppressed. Shot the first one and the second one stood there looking at the other one that just died with this "WTF is wrong with you?" kinda thing going on, and then I shot the second one. Haven't done any coyote or predators yet. Would like to though.

Branden

I shot a deer on Monday with a suppressed 6.5CM from 360yd across a small valley.

I shot the deer closest to me in the small herd, when it ran with them and dropped 35yd later the rest of them calmed down and stopped running and circled back. My hunting buddy got a shot on the next largest one in the group at 525yd with an unsuppressed 308.

That was the last we saw of them.

Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen. I guess here in ND, the most likely hunting use would be coyotes and deer. I'd like to go down south someday, and pig hunt though. Thought that might be a good reason to have one also, especially if the bag limits are liberal......

The Kaiser

you really dont need a "good" reason to have one or 22 for that matter

Get a .308 can and use it for .223 and .300blk uppers..

and test for yourself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Kaiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen. I guess here in ND, the most likely hunting use would be coyotes and deer. I'd like to go down south someday, and pig hunt though. Thought that might be a good reason to have one also, especially if the bag limits are liberal...... </div></div>

Well... the best news.. is that there is NO limit!!! Kill all the pork you can, any day you can.

Oddly, Texas doesn't let you hunt deer with a suppressor. However, my experience with hogs and 'yotes is that the sonic "crack" of super sonic bullets will make them scatter; however, what direction they go is unpredictable.

As previously mentioned, it's usually opposite direction of point of impact, but that's not reliable.

If you use subsonic (e.g., 220gr 300blk) the animals will rarely scatter especially if they are in a big herd/pack. Here they are relaxed and likely assume the impact noise was caused by one of their own. Note- if a bullet (super or sub sonic) catches a rock in low light it can cause a spark, which will freak 'em out and they'll scatter in every direction.

dont know that this will help in your situation but I mentor a nerdy inner city kid, I prefer the term "role model" but anyway, he is really into this thing called "larping". Its where a big group of weirdos get together at local parks and dress up in fantasy style costumes and beat each others asses with foam swords. At first I thought it was off the wall and a massive freakshow, but hey its what he is into and a small price to pay to be a Mentor. Now I much enjoy seeing his face light up at these steller events, ahh the joy of being a mentor, just last week I took him to sit at the "king's court" at burger king and wow was he in heaven, it sure tugged at the heart strings.

anyway, if you need a mentor I can take you along to the park and let you get your Sam Wise Gamgee on.

lmao 'larping'!!! thats the funniest thing I have heard this month! Anyways back on topic... I find shooting my bolt suppressed with super sonic .308 loads while hunting deer the others just kind of stand there waiting for some noise even if one goes down. I usually oblige and make a second noise for them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont know that this will help in your situation but I mentor a nerdy inner city kid, I prefer the term "role model" but anyway, he is really into this thing called "larping". Its where a big group of weirdos get together at local parks and dress up in fantasy style costumes and beat each others asses with foam swords. At first I thought it was off the wall and a massive freakshow, but hey its what he is into and a small price to pay to be a Mentor. Now I much enjoy seeing his face light up at these steller events, ahh the joy of being a mentor, just last week I took him to sit at the "king's court" at burger king and wow was he in heaven, it sure tugged at the heart strings.

anyway, if you need a mentor I can take you along to the park and let you get your Sam Wise Gamgee on. </div></div>

sounds like a great story for a movie!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont know that this will help in your situation but I mentor a nerdy inner city kid, I prefer the term "role model" but anyway, he is really into this thing called "larping". Its where a big group of weirdos get together at local parks and dress up in fantasy style costumes and beat each others asses with foam swords. At first I thought it was off the wall and a massive freakshow, but hey its what he is into and a small price to pay to be a Mentor. Now I much enjoy seeing his face light up at these steller events, ahh the joy of being a mentor, just last week I took him to sit at the "king's court" at burger king and wow was he in heaven, it sure tugged at the heart strings.

anyway, if you need a mentor I can take you along to the park and let you get your Sam Wise Gamgee on. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a full size pelican 1750 to accomodate for ALL my lubing desires </div></div>

VJJP "mentors" boys and carries enough ass lube to pass a watermelon, sounds legit you should take him up on his offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont know that this will help in your situation but I mentor a nerdy inner city kid, I prefer the term "role model" but anyway, he is really into this thing called "larping". Its where a big group of weirdos get together at local parks and dress up in fantasy style costumes and beat each others asses with foam swords. At first I thought it was off the wall and a massive freakshow, but hey its what he is into and a small price to pay to be a Mentor. Now I much enjoy seeing his face light up at these steller events, ahh the joy of being a mentor, just last week I took him to sit at the "king's court" at burger king and wow was he in heaven, it sure tugged at the heart strings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a full size pelican 1750 to accomodate for ALL my lubing desires </div></div>

VJJP "mentors" boys and carries enough ass lube to pass a watermelon, sounds legit you should take him up on his offer. </div></div>

I thought you had to be Catholic to be a Mentor ?
grin.gif

Well the thread was going in a good direction until the larping came into play.

I have a small range set up on my land (100yard range), and have had to shoot between deer while working up a load. The deer just watched and seemed uninterested (until I stood up, then they flagged and took off at a dead run).