• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Looking for a mid-level 18x pair of Binos.

eboggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Ohio, USA
So I have a recent infatuation with binoculars.

I currently use the Vortex Viper HD 12x50 at work in urban nighttime settings, and they suit me just fine. Granted, I’ve never looked through a pair of the HDs or UHDs from Vortex.

I have tended to lean Vortex or Leupold due to their awesome warranties and my almost nightly use of them along with subpar conditions.

Having said that, I’m more interested in the 18x’s for just general glassing and rotating them into hunting and rifle shot calling. I’m NOT interested in spotting scopes, as I like the overall general usefulness of binos.

Since I have a 12x already, I figured it’d be a waste to go 15x hence why I’m looking at 18x.

Currently, the Vortex UHDs are a bit out of what I want to spend at 17-1800… I’ve eyed the Kaibabs, but really I’m curious to try the Abbe-Koenig prism design… and, I’ve read mixed reviews on the Kaibabs.

Are the UHDs in 18x the best out there in their price range or is there anything comparible for a little less? Looking to buy once, but still be reasonable considering money ain’t free…

Reactions: Ronws

I currently use the Vortex Viper HD 12x50 at work in urban nighttime settings, and they suit me just fine. Granted, I’ve never looked through a pair of the HDs or UHDs from Vortex.

I have tended to lean Vortex or Leupold due to their awesome warranties and my almost nightly use of them along with subpar conditions.

Having said that, I’m more interested in the 18x’s for just general glassing and rotating them into hunting and rifle shot calling. I’m NOT interested in spotting scopes, as I like the overall general usefulness of binos.

Since I have a 12x already, I figured it’d be a waste to go 15x hence why I’m looking at 18x.

Currently, the Vortex UHDs are a bit out of what I want to spend at 17-1800… I’ve eyed the Kaibabs, but really I’m curious to try the Abbe-Koenig prism design… and, I’ve read mixed reviews on the Kaibabs.

Are the UHDs in 18x the best out there in their price range or is there anything comparible for a little less? Looking to buy once, but still be reasonable considering money ain’t free…
I have the exact same binos that you have. But I have not look at 18x by 50s or larger. So, good luck. But yeah, mine are awesome for hunting, especially in the woods. Dialing the zoom brings out separate layers, a really cool effect. Is that twitch of brown a hide? Nope, big leaf at 100 yards.

Is that an antler? Nope, a broken tree branch.

Still helpful though.

Contacts Richard @CSTactical , you might be surprised how good of price he can do on the Razor UHD binos. For Abbe’s it’s really UHD and Maven B.5’s, street price for both are pretty close.

Reactions: Ronws