• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new 22LR...

78Staff

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2018
So have fussed around with a couple Rugers - 10/22 Comp that I had a lot if issues with and sent back, and a RPRF that while fun to shoot and decent for the $$, I'd like to move on up to something nicer. Voodoo level is out of reach, but was looking a a couple options - CZ Varmit Precision, the new CZ Precision Chassis, and a TX1 in a Bravo Chassis. All right around the same price point. Not shooting comps at this point, just fun shooting paper from 50-200, some silhoutte, etc. I like the look and style of the Bravo Chassis, but just don't know that much about the TX1, but it gets mostly good reviews/comments. The CZ is what I thought I wanted, but have been reading that there's a bit of "Barrel Lottery" with the 457's? Prefer adjustable comb so I guess it's really down the the Precision Chassis or the TX1/Bravo really. Or maybe a Bergara B14, another rifle i don't know that much about... Really I want something I won't have to tear apart and rebuild with upgraded barrel, stock, etc... kind of a take it out of the box and shoot it other that maybe some trigger work.

These seem to the the common choices, are there any other I should consider. Maybe a CZ like the Suppressor ready or other model in a Bravo?

Tikka T1X is the most consistently precise/accurate model in that $500 price range.

Bergara B14R, you could get a barreled action for $650 and then do your upgrades... $200 trigger, $450 stock. Get you a decent package. They seem pretty decent quality. And then you'll be on the R700 platform.

CZ's are a lottery, Tikka T1X will on average be more accurate.

Reactions: silentheart
Don't hesitate to buy a CZ. I haven't seen that many of them that won't shoot...

Tikka T1X are very nice also. You won't go wrong with either one. Get one and have fun - you will be looking to modify it before long.

I have a modified 455. It's a great gun but knowing what I know now, I wish I had just saved the money and purchased a Vudoo to start. Keep shooting the RPRF and next year get something worth investing in.

Tikka T1X is the most consistently precise/accurate model in that $500 price range.

Bergara B14R, you could get a barreled action for $650 and then do your upgrades... $200 trigger, $450 stock. Get you a decent package. They seem pretty decent quality. And then you'll be on the R700 platform.

CZ's are a lottery, Tikka T1X will on average be more accurate.

When is the Bergarga going to even be available? I’m in the same boat as OP but I would definitely go that route if it were anytime soon

Reactions: Smith1
Available now. See this thread, there are a few range reports: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bergara-has-a-new-rimfire.6967033/

I picked mine up last week, looks like there are still a couple available from the latest shipment: https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/b14r001

Thanks for the link. I should have specified I meant the barreled action littlepod was referring too. I was leaning towards the TX1 in a bravo personally but the Bergara has me interested

I have a Bergara because I found it in stock a month or so ago. Fantastic shooting gun. Super smooth, and a 700 footprint. I'm doing very well in local matches with it performing like it does. I had both Tikka and CZ and they were good too, just the groups weren't as tight. It seems like the Bergara shoots everything pretty well.

I haven’t got to hold the bergara yet but my next rimfire purchase will be a Vudoo with a Kukri barrel

I had a T1X and have a Vudoo. Both in a Bravo. Held the Bergara the other day. Would consider one after holding it.

But my suggestion is to just go big and get the Vudoo or RimX. The Vudoo customer service is outstanding and they are fully committed and invested into your rifle performing. Period. They are responsive and willing. The turn around is nearly unbelievable.

Tikka on the other hand basically leaves you on your own. Yes, you can send it in but it comes back the same usually with a note "couldn't repeat reported issue. Replaced extractor spring." or something similar and the issue isn't solved. The "issue" being feed and extraction issues that nobody can seem to solve. Many have good results doing this or that but many still have issue. What's worse is that it's not consistent. Rifle will run great then one random round stove pipes when you go to load it.

I will say that I sold my Tikka quickly and for a good resale price. I love my Tikka as well. It was butter smooth and very accurate. I like my Vudoo more. And I've seen the results on paper. Scores and finishing place, not groups. And the Vudoos sell quickly and really hold their value. Do yourself a favor and read the T1X, Bergara, and Vudoo threads start to finish. It's A LOT reading but REALLY good info direct form the horse's mouth so to speak. And you get the advantage of watching things unfold completely instead of a daily info dump.

I had a T1X and have a Vudoo. Both in a Bravo. Held the Bergara the other day. Would consider one after holding it.

But my suggestion is to just go big and get the Vudoo or RimX. The Vudoo customer service is outstanding and they are fully committed and invested into your rifle performing. Period. They are responsive and willing. The turn around is nearly unbelievable.

Tikka on the other hand basically leaves you on your own. Yes, you can send it in but it comes back the same usually with a note "couldn't repeat reported issue. Replaced extractor spring." or something similar and the issue isn't solved. The "issue" being feed and extraction issues that nobody can seem to solve. Many have good results doing this or that but many still have issue. What's worse is that it's not consistent. Rifle will run great then one random round stove pipes when you go to load it.

I will say that I sold my Tikka quickly and for a good resale price. I love my Tikka as well. It was butter smooth and very accurate. I like my Vudoo more. And I've seen the results on paper. Scores and finishing place, not groups. And the Vudoos sell quickly and really hold their value. Do yourself a favor and read the T1X, Bergara, and Vudoo threads start to finish. It's A LOT reading but REALLY good info direct form the horse's mouth so to speak. And you get the advantage of watching things unfold completely instead of a daily info dump.
Good info! Did you go with the barreled action from Vudoo? If so, which barrel did you go with? Any recommendations/advice when going this route? Thanks in advance!

Vudoo BA, 18" Ace Kukri.

If you are looking to balance your rifle, like have it just be able to perch up on a barricade -

1589985624251.png

You will need to decide what sort of stock/chassis you want to run. In my situation, I would have benefits from going with a MTU profile because my chassis was so heavy in the back I had to stick in an additional 3lbs up front to get it to weigh down right.

If you're running it in a Bravo then I believe the rear is a whole lot lighter. @Jefe's Dope I believe runs his in a Bravo?

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Good info! Did you go with the barreled action from Vudoo? If so, which barrel did you go with? Any recommendations/advice when going this route? Thanks in advance!

18" Kukri barreled action. I would recommend either a 20" Kukri or the 18" MTU for balance front to rear if overall weight in not of concern. Note that part of the length of the measured barrel is in the action so my 18" measures 16.5" from muzzle to where the barrel meets the action. Otherwise if you're trying to mimic a centerfire. you may want to go a bit longer. Keep in mind that the Kukri contour will likely be better if going longer. MTU for shorter. Also, 16"-22" seems to be the sweet spot for maximum powder burn. Anything longer and you'll begin to lose velocity as there's no more gun powder burning creating pressure in the barrel and the friction of the bullet is going to slow it down a tad. Probably not so much that you have to worry too much about it if under 26" or so.

I went with a Bravo chassis but have the aluminum fore end which gives me a bit more weight out front. If I was to do it over again, I would go with either a 20" Kukri or the 18" MTU. It would be difficult for me to make the final decision between the two and would likely come down to aesthetics. So the 20" Kukri. 🤓

Reactions: jeronimo
I have the Bergara B-14R and it is a lot of gun for the money. It loves the SK Plus. While the stock trigger is very good for a factory one, I recently put a Trigger Tech Diamond in it. With the stock torqued down to 65 inch pounds it will shoot under .5" at 50 yards all day.
You would be hard pressed to find more for the money.

18" Kukri barreled action. I would recommend either a 20" Kukri or the 18" MTU for balance front to rear if overall weight in not of concern. Note that part of the length of the measured barrel is in the action so my 18" measures 16.5" from muzzle to where the barrel meets the action. Otherwise if you're trying to mimic a centerfire. you may want to go a bit longer. Keep in mind that the Kukri contour will likely be better if going longer. MTU for shorter. Also, 16"-22" seems to be the sweet spot for maximum powder burn. Anything longer and you'll begin to lose velocity as there's no more gun powder burning creating pressure in the barrel and the friction of the bullet is going to slow it down a tad. Probably not so much that you have to worry too much about it if under 26" or so.

I went with a Bravo chassis but have the aluminum fore end which gives me a bit more weight out front. If I was to do it over again, I would go with either a 20" Kukri or the 18" MTU. It would be difficult for me to make the final decision between the two and would likely come down to aesthetics. So the 20" Kukri. 🤓
I was leaning towards the 20" kukri. I just put a Bravo chassis on my Tikka CTR 6.5CM and like it so far. My CZ455 may not get as much love once the Vudoo arrives. LOL:LOL:

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I opted for the 20" MTU, Bravo chassis. I will get back to you when it comes in and I can shoot it.

I opted for the 20" MTU, Bravo chassis. I will get back to you when it comes in and I can shoot it.
Awesome! Looking forward to your review. I’m also interested as to what ammo the MTU vs the kukri barrels like better.

Considered the Volquartsen Summit? Why or why not?
Save yourself the frustration, if you want a bolt action 22 there are better choices with proven reliability. several were listed in posts 2&3. Great concept behind this rifle, but if I could go back in time I’d tell myself to skip this gun.

If you really want a straight pull then get either an izmash or anschutz fortner action. Good luck finding reliable or affordable 10 round mags for either. both are expensive to acquire now as izmash cant import any more.

Reactions: littlepod
Old thread, but I realized I never replied to the thread. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I actually wound up getting a replacement for the Ruger Competition Shop and have been very happy with it. I want to say it shoots as well or better than my RPRF even. So must have got a dud on the first one.

Still have the Ruger Precision Rimfire - would like to change the stock, not sure if anyone is making anything for it though. Bravo has one for the American Rimfore, but not the "precision" last I checked.

Save yourself the frustration, if you want a bolt action 22 there are better choices with proven reliability. several were listed in posts 2&3. Great concept behind this rifle, but if I could go back in time I’d tell myself to skip this gun.

If you really want a straight pull then get either an izmash or anschutz fortner action. Good luck finding reliable or affordable 10 round mags for either. both are expensive to acquire now as izmash cant import any more.

My kid basically stole Grandpa's izhmash. Damn fun guns to shoot, if you happen to find a brand new in box for $200 because "it's some old odd Russian .22, must be worthless".

Magazines do suck. He has 1 10 rounder and it's worth half what he paid for the damn gun with 3 mags.

Op: go handle a Bergara. It's the 90% of a vudoo middle ground. It's not perfect, but it gets you out of the oddball .22 sized actions to the generic 700 pattern and opens all the doors to aftermarket parts.

Sadly, I'm already contemplating a benchmark barrel with a 52d chamber to see if I can squeeze that much more out of it. That'll put me into vudoo price territory.