• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new TV

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
I'm in the market to buy an additional TV, and I don't want to spend over $1K.

I'm researching the 65" class TVs.

When I go into the stores to look, Samsung and Sony always look the best to my eyes. However, I've been told they all use the same parts and brand doesn't matter anymore.

However, my gut is telling me to stick with LG, Samsung, Sony, or Vizio.

Experiences? Also, is QLED worth the premium over regular LED? I was told it isn't - that it is only a cooler running screen. The literature about the TV states it provides better color.

One last thing, I'm not overly concerned about the TV speaker quality b/c I have a 5.1 receiver and Bose speakers.

Thanks.

Most TV speakers systems are not there for quality anyway so they are designed for a soundbar/sound system.

I can't help with the pricing aspect. IF you happen to be a Costco member the extras they offer are well worth the money. I have bought plenty of TV thru them, and have used their warranty service. It was very easy, well worth the extra money spent.

I think some of the QLED, UHD, or ULED designations are sometimes manufacturer created. So for example Sony uses QLED.....there's no industry standard for QLED. Follow me?

With that the choices can get confusing, I'd pick what you like in picture, and brand quality. I don't like Sony only for their deliberate "creation" of their own files or smart TV systems. They may not like to play with all products.
LG and Vizio have been quality products over the last few years. I bought a big Vizio last year when I needed a new TV.

I bought a Samsung 65" from WM ( :eek: ) a year ago, and a Samsung soundbar set up, no issues at all except for the usual remote programming/synching issues I always have. I wanted the 75" but the boss person said no. Total cost was in the $750 range OTD.

Sony - 65" Class X800H Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV
Check this out on best buy.

Just blend in with the FSA. When the rioting and looting starts you can get what ever you want. For free!

Reactions: forrestgump01
^^^^^^^^^^ THIS !!!! Prices are finally starting to come down--still not cheap. The picture is amazing.

I've used Samsungs for years. Old one crapped out some months back, had it replaced with a new Q60T. I like it for the most part. Colors look fine, picture's good. Sound is just a little bit lacking compared to the previous one (thinner TV = smaller speakers placed differently) but it's not as bad as people seemed to indicate from the reviews, so I didn't end up getting a sound bar system.

My parents bought a new Samsung in 2018. It was a lower level TV. Every time they came to my house they were in awe of my new QLED Samsung Q70. Last week, they bought a QLED exactly like mine. There is a difference in picture quality.

You may not stat at $1000 for it though. I'd also suggest a soundbar too. The speakers on a stand alone TV is not impressive.

For anyone that is curious, just so we are clear... OLED is a superior technology to all LCD technologies, including QLED. QLED is still an LCD.

OLED is different, as its pixels actually emit their own light. QLED's are cheaper, requiring a backlight to function, and thus more people are adopting them because they are superior to previous LCD's... but they do not approach OLED in image quality characteristics. Hence why OLED is typically more expensive.

Essentially if you don't have $2500-$3000 minimum to spend on a TV... then get a QLED. Because you aren't likely to find a good OLED for less than $3k with a 65" format. If you do have the budget, then you'll be very unlikely to find a better TV than an LG OLED.

From what I've seen, hdr is worth having and what I'll be looking for when I'm shopping next.

Reactions: orkan
And then once you get the perfect TV they will be telling you that you need to upgrade to 8K HA!

To put it simple...if viewing in a bright room with lots of ambient light, go with a higher end LCD display(capable of much higher peak brightness/nits). In a more light controlled environment, OLED can't be touched with its infinite contrast ratio. With a firm $1000 budget my recommendation would be the 65" TCL 6 or 8 series.

If you're a gamer or want a display that's more future proof(4k-120hz, VRR, ALLC), it must contain the hdmi 2.1 chipset. Any 2020 LG OLED supports HDMI 2.1. If you're looking at LCD, your only options are the the Sony x900h(close to your budget) or the higher end Samsung q70-q95 displays.

If you can swing it, beginning Jan 17 Costco will be discounting LG CX OLED's with extended warranties. For the 65" you're under $2000 which is a solid deal. Here's a link: https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/14760979

Last edited:
Reactions: rookie7
Whatever you decide to buy, wait two weeks - television prices are lowest in the pre-Superbowl sales. Lower than black Friday/cyber Monday. Why? Because new models come out in March, and it's the last big opportunity to move last year's models. Pick what you want, and be ready to buy.
CES, the Consumer Electronics Show happens in January (normally, not this year), and that's when new models are announced. Then the blowouts start, just in time for the Superbowl.

Reactions: wh20crazy
To put it simple...if viewing in a bright room with lots of ambient light, go with a higher end LCD display(capable of much higher peak brightness/nits). In a more light controlled environment, OLED can't be touched with its infinite contrast ratio.
Shaky ground.

LG's OLED's run HDR10... which by definition gives you 1000 nits. I'd challenge ANYONE to claim 1000 nits isn't enough, even when in the most brightly lit room you could comfortably sit in without sunglasses. 1000 nits on one of my TV's darker cinema settings will illuminate my 20x30ft theater room with BLACK walls and dark brown theater seating enough by itself that you could comfortably read a book in the back of the room. lol

This concept that OLEDs are dim, is based on old experiences with the first releases of the technology. While you may indeed be able to crank up the brightness a bit more with an LCD... you're going to pay for that with the nasty contrast and blooming zones on the display quality side of things.

...but alas, tons of TV's are sold with the buyers not having a singular clue about where their TV sits in the hierarchy. Most people don't care. They just walk into best buy, find one that is within their budget that they like the looks of and that's all she wrote. Most people are still rocking 1080p displays. lol

I don't have a room large enough for a 65" TV .... I don't watch enough TV to justify getting a 65" or need the bestest tech. It all changes so fast anyway. I have a 44-45" Samsung with a sound bar, happy with the picture and sound. Samsung has been excellent quality.

I had a sony TV get taken out by lightening, I have no idea how I had it plugged directly into the wall instead of the surge protector, TV was the only thing I lost :(

So needing a TV quickly, my local best buy had something like this on the shelf - 65" Samsung

I have had it about 2 years now and love it, looks better than the sony it replaced but I think that was just because the sony was like 10 years old.

I like Samsung, don't think you can go wrong with them, same with Sony, find the specs you want and price hunt.

Shaky ground.

LG's OLED's run HDR10... which by definition gives you 1000 nits. I'd challenge ANYONE to claim 1000 nits isn't enough, even when in the most brightly lit room you could comfortably sit in without sunglasses. 1000 nits on one of my TV's darker cinema settings will illuminate my 20x30ft theater room with BLACK walls and dark brown theater seating enough by itself that you could comfortably read a book in the back of the room. lol

This concept that OLEDs are dim, is based on old experiences with the first releases of the technology. While you may indeed be able to crank up the brightness a bit more with an LCD... you're going to pay for that with the nasty contrast and blooming zones on the display quality side of things.

...but alas, tons of TV's are sold with the buyers not having a singular clue about where their TV sits in the hierarchy. Most people don't care. They just walk into best buy, find one that is within their budget that they like the looks of and that's all she wrote. Most people are still rocking 1080p displays. lol

Funny enough, while my computer monitor is 4K, my primary TV is still 1080P which works for me until the prices of an 8k OLED TV come down to where I want them to be.

One thing however is that on my older Sharp flat screen TV, which is from the days before "smart TVs", you press the power button and poof, on and showing your program, you press the channel or input change button and instant onto the next thing. Most of the new "Smart" TVs that I see have this annoying habit of taking an age and a half to boot up and then taking a stupid long time to flip inputs or channels.

The hard part about TVs for me is that I like a lot of old obscure stuff that has a lot of black and shades of grey or low light scenes in it, which cheap TVs and highly compressed content files have a real trouble with and you can see big square or minecraft patches in the screen when you get clouds moving across a night sky or such.

I have a 2019 Samsung Q80R and Q80R soundbar. I’ve been very happy with it. I wish it had eARC but it’s ok without it. The Xbox and 4K BR player go to the bar so I still get atmos. 4K HDR is amazing.

Reactions: plong
Shaky ground.

Due to the built-in ABL(which can't be disabled) there isn't a single consumer OLED display capable of hitting 1000 nits. Even on a 10% peak hdr window the best I've seen measured is around 800. On a full screen hdr window sustained, that 800 nits will drop to around 150 due to the ABL kicking in to preserve the panel. By comparison the TCL 8 series manages over 1800 nits on a 10% peak hdr window and never drops below 650 full field with zero potential for image retention(burn in).

Don't get me wrong, OLED produces a far superior image. High brightness in HDR scenes is their one drawback... under the right viewing conditions it's a non issue. The blooming annoyance you mentioned is a real problem with LCD, even with high count FALD zone displays.

Due to the built-in ABL(which can't be disabled) there isn't a single consumer OLED display capable of hitting 1000 nits. Even on a 10% peak hdr window the best I've seen measured is around 800. On a full screen hdr window sustained, that 800 nits will drop to around 150 due to the ABL kicking in to preserve the panel. By comparison the TCL 8 series manages over 1800 nits on a 10% peak hdr window and never drops below 650 full field with zero potential for image retention(burn in).

Don't get me wrong, OLED produces a far superior image. High brightness in HDR scenes is their one drawback... under the right viewing conditions it's a non issue. The blooming annoyance you mentioned is a real problem with LCD, even with high count FALD zone displays.
I have one of my LG 65's in a VERY bright room... As in, there is basically an entire wall letting light in. I'll take your word for what you're saying is true... though it must not matter much, because modern OLEDs seem to be very bright. :)

Reactions: Scrubsr1
The OP stated that he doesn't want to spend over $1k. First sentence.
Somehow this thread detoured into a bunch of chest-thumping about OLED, which is nowhere near his budget.

I'm just saying, I don't think it will matter to him what you have and how great it is, if it isn't in his budget.
My .02

Buy the Samsung from Costco. Costco doubles the manufacturers warranty and you just take it back to Costco. We’ve got a Costco Visa and that extends the warranty even longer.

Reactions: gunman_7
Sony rocks but just wait until the next local riot and go get you a freebie. I mean that seems to be what the left does. Lmao.

Seriously, I bought a Sony a year ago, forgot what model but I can find out. And, it’s unreal but cost me. I hear the Vizio M class is great to and easier on the wallet.

And, there it is. I’ve been waiting for the “we no longer own a TV” virtue signaling to commence. Honestly, I’m very surprised it took this long...

Whatever you decide to buy, wait two weeks - television prices are lowest in the pre-Superbowl sales. Lower than black Friday/cyber Monday. Why? Because new models come out in March, and it's the last big opportunity to move last year's models. Pick what you want, and be ready to buy.
CES, the Consumer Electronics Show happens in January (normally, not this year), and that's when new models are announced. Then the blowouts start, just in time for the Superbowl.
I’ve seen good deals the week after the super bowl also, people buy a tv just for that, then return it afterwards. Good way to get an open box deal.

While I’m here, is their any type of film or something you can put on a tv screen to cut out the glare? I have a giant window and a glass door that let in a ton of glare.

It’s a 75” Samsung LED of some sort

Will this be used to view your target shooting via live feed?
Is that in MOA or MIL?
Will it still be reliable in cold weather?

If you're a gamer or want a display that's more future proof(4k-120hz, VRR, ALLC), it must contain the hdmi 2.1 chipset. Any 2020 LG OLED supports HDMI 2.1.

Yup. The C9 or the CX are really good choices, the entire gaming tech-tuber community seems to have fully gotten behind those two model lines from LG.

I’m watching websites over the next few weeks to try to find the best 65” I can for the $$.

I may up my budget a few hundred if I find a great deal.

I appreciate everyone’s input, and based on replies it seems brand doesn’t matter.

@orkan the OLED models are more than I can spend. I see you like LG. Between LG nano and Samsung QLED is there a better one? Or toss up?

I’m watching websites over the next few weeks to try to find the best 65” I can for the $$.

I may up my budget a few hundred if I find a great deal.

I appreciate everyone’s input, and based on replies it seems brand doesn’t matter.

@orkan the OLED models are more than I can spend. I see you like LG. Between LG nano and Samsung QLED is there a better one? Or toss up?
Probably a toss up... but I'd give LG the nod. Their tv's are just good.

Reactions: rookie7
Check out the TCL 6 series. A well kept secret.
Agreed. I recommended this earlier...nothing can touch it under $1000. Beyond image quality, the built-in Roku OS is the best in the biz... intuitive and user friendly for the wife and kids.

Maybe I'm still at the shallow end of the technology pool, and not "up with the Jones'es" and their latest-and-greatest technology, but I can't say that I have ANY complaints at all with our ceiling mount projector with motorized wall screen.
1080p
140"
just over $200.00 (yes, that's two-hundred dollars)

Friends and family LOVE to come over here to watch stuff.

• Wow