• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for a nice bolt gun in 22

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Wanting to shoot a lot more 22 this year and am thinking about picking up a real nice bolt gun to go with my 1022's. Have always heard great stuff about the Anshutz rifles but never owned one.

Just curious what you guys think is the best all around 22 bolt gun as well as the best Anshutz. The gun will spend most of its time target shooting at extended (for a 22) ranges and maybe a little small game hunting. And it will be scoped.

I am planning on customizing my 1022 but would like to buy a bolt gun already setup from the factory to shoot better than most factory guns.

Re: looking for a nice bolt gun in 22

I wouldn't want to carry my Anny MPR around. Not that it's super heavy but the barrel is long.

The sporters with the lighter barrel shoot very well and can still be used for target, tactical 22, silhouette.

A tweener contour would be nice.

See if you can find a Brno#1....thats what the CZ's were modeled from....around 350-450$

Sako's are great rifles but for the price of that europtic sako you could get a cz455pt, a lijia barrel, nice optics, and still have money left over and it will shoot just as good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isaaccarlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll second the CZ. I have a 455 American. </div></div>I'll third that, but they don't seem to show up often on dealer's shelves. CZ must not spit them out like Ruger, Savage, and Marlin.

Ive settled on a Win mod 52C sporter , a reintroduction by USRAC, back when they came out I would not buy one because they had made in Japan stamped on em, mine is a run Zanders had done that is the heavy barrel model seems 500 or a 1000 were done, I have a standing order in for 4 when they show up. Federal auto match is the bulk ammo I run with wolf MT as no.2 followed by high end Lapua and Eley. great gun that shoots better than me.
52c001.jpg

I have it set up for squirrel hunting right now, my Dads old 3X9 redfield accutrac, 38 Gr sub sonic hps. killer tree rat combo... very best
52c006.jpg

If accuracy is your primary criteria then the pecking order would be:

1. Win 52 B,C, or D (D is a single shot but has the best trigger of the 52 series), Anz 64 MPR or Anz 54 (single shot), Cooper
2. CZ 455 with Lija barrel
3. CZ452 or 455 with factory barrel
4. Win 75 Target
5. Savage
6. Marlin

Of the above list I own a few of #1, #3,& #4.
smile.gif

Very Good = Anschutz 64 MPR
***but, ejection issues!

The Very Best = Anschutz 1808 (54.18)

The Very Best 10/22 = Kidd Supergrade.

Or... buy all three!

People looking for affordable, I tell to look at the CZ but, there is no denying the Anschutz or Kidd.

AnschutzNerd

Another vote for the Winchester 52. The 52C reintroduction sporter is an excellent choice. They are a "full size" repeater with great accuracy. After-market magazines are available from Brownell's for about $10.00. The action bridges are pre-drilled for scope bases. The trigger is adjustable to a very clean three pounds after removing the "lawyer pin". Mine weighs eight pounds six ounces with steel rings and bases and a VariX one with AO. Enough weight to be eminently shootable but still light enough to make a great small game rifle.

Take the above and the fact that the rifles have been steadily increasing in value and you've got a great rifle you can shoot for years without any loss in cash. That's a hard combination to beat.

Cooper makes an awfully nice sporter. I have an original M-57 repeater and love it.

It is hard to beat the CZ. I will second the cooper though. Try a 453. Savage is also making a good bolt gun for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ452...if you can find one. </div></div>I agree. For the money, I feel these factory rifles shoot better, or at least as well, as some of the high dollar custom rimfires. If you can find one. I see one about every four or five months, but that's it. They run around 450-500 dollars, but worth every penny. JMHO.
wink.gif