• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for a particular jacket

SuckitTrebek

The rapist for $200
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
The Great State of Texas
Figured why not ask about this here. Everyone's got an opinion.

I'm looking for a windproof, waterproof, breathable jacket that doesn't cost $800 to wear for work (blue collar)

looked at filson, patagonia. I have an arcteryx that sucks and is going back.

I'm looking for a windproof, waterproof, breathable jacket that doesn't cost $800 to wear for work (blue collar)

I just got a whaleback parka from Duluth trading. Seems good so far and the price was right around $130 during holiday sales. They also have a jacket version. It's no Canada goose resolute but I can't wear that until it gets below 0.

there we go. someone always brings up a piece of gear that is stupid ass expensive.

I live in TX. so basically it's barely ever below freezing

Didnt see location, so yeah even the whaleback jacket might be too much for TX lol. It's 28* here in Ohio and a thermal and wind breaker was fine. I work out in it a lot and have to be prepared , that resolute was for -65* in Rankin Inlet, thankfully nothing broke.

What didnt you like about the Arcteryx and which jacket did you have from them?

I’d suggest the Kuiu Yukon rain jacket. It’s basically a breathable stretchy shell. As suggested, Outdoor research makes good stuff too.

kuiu has a shit return policy. Nice looking gear. I'm just not going to gamble that I'll like the product.

And EVERY SINGLE outdoor research jacket that is windproof and waterproof has a hood..........which I don't want.

Work outside 300+ days a year cold winters hot summers. In my experience truly waterproof means a gortex rain shell. Adaptable to a variety of temperatures by layering underneath it. For me Any jacket that combines waterproof and installation is Not very adaptable and most times to hot or too cold.

Lots of good manufacturers out there. Tough to find a truly waterproof without a hood. Look for something with pit zippers to vent heat during heavy exertion .Best bargain rain shells I found have been Cabela’s, Patagonia torrential (not gortex) shell, and military surplus Gore-Tex shell.

Any of these shells lose their waterproofness and ability to breathe when they get dirty. Use a tech wash to refresh and keep them working.

Reactions: 0dd
Something with Goretex is king-although I find that Event membrane breathes better but is slightly less waterproof.

Between you and me-I've never found the holy grail of waterproof and breathable. Windproof isn't an issue until you start getting into fleece type materials. I have several high end goretex technologies-XCR-paclite-etc and I sweat when working hard in all of them to some extent.

Check out Sierra Trading Post for good deals, a lot of their gear is factory seconds, or last yrs models, I usually can’t find anything wrong with them- good place to buy work clothes ( if your on a budget like me)

I've not found anything that was truly waterproof that didn't feel like wearing a trash bag, giving me a suffocating case of swamp ass. I'd go for a lightweight hard shell for when it is needed, but you couldn't beat me enough to get me into a waterproof shell if it wasn't actually needed. Also from Texas...

Reactions: Seymour Fish
I've not found anything that was truly waterproof that didn't feel like wearing a trash bag, giving me a suffocating case of swamp ass. I'd go for a lightweight hard shell for when it is needed, but you couldn't beat me enough to get me into a waterproof shell if it wasn't actually needed. Also from Texas...

And as we all know, swamp ass is the worst. Most of the time it's settling for mostly waterproof with pit zips. As long as the fucker doesn't
soak in water like a sponge it's ok.

A kick ass return policy is always a must in case you wear it and it sucks. no harm no foul. Again thank you REI.

Agreed with Sierra Trading post and REI- depending on your politics.
Suggest that you look for the specific term of waterproof vs water-resistant. Big difference between the two.
Also mechanical vents like pit zippers are critical. No vapor permeable fabric will keep up with the 2+ liters of sweat an hour a human athlete can produce. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so there's no f'ing around with water resistant fabrics for me.
I've had great luck with the mil issue ECWS shell system. Cheap and can take a beating....and has pit zips.
https://tacticalgear.com/tru-spec-h2o-proof-gen-2-ecwcs-parka~1

Reactions: 0dd
Agreed with Sierra Trading post and REI- depending on your politics.
Suggest that you look for the specific term of waterproof vs water-resistant. Big difference between the two.
Also mechanical vents like pit zippers are critical. No vapor permeable fabric will keep up with the 2+ liters of sweat an hour a human athlete can produce. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so there's no f'ing around with water resistant fabrics for me.
I've had great luck with the mil issue ECWS shell system. Cheap and can take a beating....and has pit zips.
https://tacticalgear.com/tru-spec-h2o-proof-gen-2-ecwcs-parka~1

Depending on your politics?

My politics don't give a rats ass what someone does on their own time. I'm looking for a product that performs
not to support whatever shitty cause someone is gung ho about.

I'm not wearing my fucking mil issue shell. The combat action ribbon on my license plate is enough moto for me.

Now give me a mil issue shell not in fuckface camo and I'm cool with it. So I may go with that. Though I did want a bit of insulation in the damn thing.

Another vote for Kuiu. Take a look at the Yukon jacket. Bomber tough and breathable. Can get in solid colors.

If you do not mind camo, midway jackets are well made and they throw them on sale every once in a while for 50-75% off. I have their winter and fall jackets and ike them.

parka

Depending on your politics?

My politics don't give a rats ass what someone does on their own time. I'm looking for a product that performs
not to support whatever shitty cause someone is gung ho about.

What he's getting at is that REI is rabidly anti-gun - to the point that they stated they wouldn't carry products from a company that wouldn't also declare itself to be anti-gun. I now use REI as a local "try it on" store for sizing so I can order from an online dealer, cause fuck those hippie toolbag motherfuckers.

If not Patagonia; maybe try Marmot, or the North Face Windwall line

Reactions: VP47PPC

Kryptek has a nice one.

What he's getting at is that REI is rabidly anti-gun - to the point that they stated they wouldn't carry products from a company that wouldn't also declare itself to be anti-gun. I now use REI as a local "try it on" store for sizing so I can order from an online dealer, cause fuck those hippie toolbag motherfuckers.

Oh I get it. I just don't give a fuck. Pretty sure that someone you order from, shop with etc has politics you don't agree with.

I just prefer not to waste my time worrying about what everyone else is doing in this free country.

I don't care about any of these stores, no matter what they blab about. I'm using them for a service. Period.

Go play with dildos while crossdressing and covering yourself with mayo...........yep, still don't give a fuck if the product you make is the best on the market for a good price.

In TX, where temps arent going to be too extreme, Id get some version of Filson oiled/waxed tin cloth jacket and layer as needed.

Natural materials, the oil/wax finish will shed water, you can reoil as needed to boost the waterproofing, the canvas looks capable of taking a beating.

https://www.filson.com/tin-cloth

I live in a colder climb so I tend toward their wool stuff and its been great.

Only issue I see is they may be more expensive than you want to spend. You said you checked Filson out did you have a particular reason for rejecting them?

In TX, where temps arent going to be too extreme, Id get some version of Filson oiled/waxed tin cloth jacket and layer as needed.

Natural materials, the oil/wax finish will shed water, you can reoil as needed to boost the waterproofing, the canvas looks capable of taking a beating.

https://www.filson.com/tin-cloth

I live in a colder climb so I tend toward their wool stuff and its been great.

Only issue I see is they may be more expensive than you want to spend. You said you checked Filson out did you have a particular reason for rejecting them?

I saw those filson's. They look nice as hell. I think the cost is a bit over the top though. In particular for a work jacket.

I saw those filson's. They look nice as hell. I think the cost is a bit over the top though. In particular for a work jacket.

Yes they are proud of them but with Seattle being a $15/hr minimum wage place and Americans sewing the imported material the cost to produce is up there.

Most of their shit I own is bought from them through email announcements of their sales.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Oh I get it. I just don't give a fuck. Pretty sure that someone you order from, shop with etc has politics you don't agree with.

It's not about what individuals associated with the company do, its giving your business to a company as a big $$$ rich corporation actively works against your interest. You'r free to choose but I think that the point was the company as an entity is against you and it sounded like you were thinking just of the individual employees.

Reactions: Monk Medic
It's not about what individuals associated with the company do, its giving your business to a company as a big $$$ rich corporation actively works against your interest. You'r free to choose but I think that the point was the company as an entity is against you and it sounded like you were thinking just of the individual employees.

My issue with REI is that they didnt even try to hurt the party they were against (Savage Firearms) they took it out on a third party manufacturer (Giro/Camelback) just because they were part of the umbrella conglomerate that owns Savage.

So REI says fuck those people that manufacture/use bike helmets and water bags in order to push their politics.

Why should I support them and their intractable stand?

I will be just as pure as them in my beliefs. The reason we lose is because we do compromise while these fascists never do.

I was going to end my REI membership when they did this but instead I stopped buying from them or using my REI credit card.

Now when they send me my Co-op membership dividend Ill use it to buy guns and ammo.

Yes they are proud of them but with Seattle being a $15/hr minimum wage place and Americans sewing the imported material the cost to produce is up there.

Most of their shit I own is bought from them through email announcements of their sales.

Seattle native here......

BTW, Filson was expensive longggg before the $15.00/hr thing spooled up. Granted, the $15.00/hr doesn’t help.

Reactions: pmclaine
Seattle native here......

BTW, Filson was expensive longggg before the $15.00/hr thing spooled up. Granted, the $15.00/hr doesn’t help.

No where near as expensive as special edition Magpul/KAC SR15 rifles though if you have been following the latest shit storm online.

My issue with REI is that they didnt even try to hurt the party they were against (Savage Firearms) they took it out on a third party manufacturer (Giro/Camelback) just because they were part of the umbrella conglomerate that owns Savage.

So REI says fuck those people that manufacture/use bike helmets and water bags in order to push their politics.

Why should I support them and their intractable stand?

I will be just as pure as them in my beliefs. The reason we lose is because we do compromise while these fascists never do.

I was going to end my REI membership when they did this but instead I stopped buying from them or using my REI credit card.

Now when they send me my Co-op membership dividend Ill use it to buy guns and ammo.

This is America. Good job, you are catching on. You do what you want, I'll do what I want. I just don't want to hear whatever the fuck it is
you like or don't like.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES VIEWS, THE COMPANY OWNER, THE FUCKING WIFE OF THE OWNER, HIS COUSIN, HIS FRIENDS, WHERE THEY EAT OR WHO THEY FUCK.

I CARE ABOUT THE PRODUCT. PERIOD

My life is too short and time too valuable to spend it worrying about such dumbass trivial bullshit.

And if anyone doesn't like my view, that is your right as an American. But fuck you too just for good measure.

dude why did you even start this thread?

youve done nothing but bitch and moan every time someone suggests something......and insult people because "i dont care about XXXXX views"

get yourself a fucking trashbag if your poverty stricken ass cant afford a decent coat.

This is America. Good job, you are catching on. You do what you want, I'll do what I want. I just don't want to hear whatever the fuck it is
you like or don't like.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES VIEWS, THE COMPANY OWNER, THE FUCKING WIFE OF THE OWNER, HIS COUSIN, HIS FRIENDS, WHERE THEY EAT OR WHO THEY FUCK.

I CARE ABOUT THE PRODUCT. PERIOD

My life is too short and time too valuable to spend it worrying about such dumbass trivial bullshit.

And if anyone doesn't like my view, that is your right as an American. But fuck you too just for good measure.

I suggest something from Members Only than.........