• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a Plott hound puppy

Skeptic1

Heavy Horseman
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2019
Central NC
We have a six year old Plott hound. She's by far the best dog I've ever had. We're wanting to get another puppy. Female preferably. Anyone happen to know of a litter any where. We're in upstate NY and willing travel to get one. We've been having a little trouble finding any.

If I'm out of line asking this here in the bear pit instead of the for sale section please let me know and I'll delete the post.
I'm hoping since its just a puppy I'm looking for and not something firearms related that it's ok.

I'm going to do the rescue PSA here; I'm assuming you have done this but two great sources are Adoptapet.com and Petfinder.com.
Create account, enter location, puppy, breed (although you may want to expand because not all Plotts are recognized as such), and how far you are willing to travel; set up an alert. You have nothing to lose by trying this before going the breeder route.

I've searched rescues for sure. I've not set up an alert account, however.
We're running into a few problems with rescues however.
The first one is that my Plotty is not fixed and isn't going to ever be. Rescues are funny about that.
Number two is that I'm just not finding "exactly" what I want...... a female puppy less than one year old.
Also, like you mentioned, not all plotts are recognized as such so most of the time if I find one that is a plott it'll be mixed with something else. Most commonly pitbull and we're not interested in a mix.
We did find the one we have through a rescue type circumstance so I do continue to search rescues.
We did find one in Texas about a year ago but at the time we were hoping to find one closer to home. At this point though we would be willing to travel that far.

Reactions: UKDslayer
Neighbor just parted ways with his last few. NC bred howling monsters

I looked at the plotty on NC Plott Rescue and this is a perfect example of what I am finding at rescues.
The plott they have available is only available for a local adoption (within an hour of Wake Forest) and is heart worm positive.
The poor baby needs some love no doubt and if I was local I would consider it but.......
I think that many rescue agencies have forgotten the "rescue" idea with all the ridiculous stipulations that they put on being able to adopt a dog desperately in need of a loving home.
I used to rescue horses. If you had a decent pasture and barn and had any experience at all with horses they would practically give you a horse.

Sucks about the local adoption crap, seems if they wanted to get it adopted they would let it go to any good home.

I’ll ask him if he plans on any more. Got a couple other buddies that might have a lead on some as well. You just want a female, or would you take a male if push came to shove?

We're really only looking a female. If we were to get a male we would have to have one of them fixed because we don't want to get into breeding.
I personally feel that having a dog fixed changes the dogs personality a great deal. Having a pet spayed or neutered is clearly a good option if person is not responsible enough to manage a pet's breeding instincts and/or if an individual doesn't have a property that would allow them to strictly manage this.
Not all dogs need to be fixed. Just my opinion though.....