• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a quality rangefinder to site out 2 km.

ueb_30

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2020
TN
This one seems to be good but its pricy. Any cheaper alternatives? Ive seen that Vortex makes a quality one. Also is it better to get the one for one eye or two? Preferably want something mil-spec in case SHTF

Cheaper is not the way to go with a rangefinder for 2K plus. Sadly, the Terrapin is about the least expensive unit to reliably reach that far, despite claims of other units. The reality is, 2K plus performance means a 1050nm laser and a price starting at $6k and going up. I use the Vectronix Vector binoculars rangefinders and can range an IPSC target past 2500m.

Cheaper is not the way to go with a rangefinder for 2K plus. Sadly, the Terrapin is about the least expensive unit to reliably reach that far, despite claims of other units. The reality is, 2K plus performance means a 1050nm laser and a price starting at $6k and going up. I use the Vectronix Vector binoculars rangefinders and can range an IPSC target past 2500m.
What!?! 2K km. Hard to believe.

The Vector 21 will range to 12km. The Vector IV ranges to 6km. The commercial rangefinders that claim to range to 5000m like the Vortex Fury depend on perfect conditions and a reflective target of a fairly large size. Note they state a deer to 1600y, which is actually optimistic.

All the commercial rangefinders probably work for 98% of the people that use a rangefinder for hunting and other sport shooting. If you need to range an 18"x24'" piece of camo painted steel at 2500m, they will not get it done. I can range a rock on a hillside at 10K with the 21 and 5K with the IV. No commercial unit can come close to that. That performance comes at a cost. Most people have no need for that level of performance, if you do, that's what is costs. There is no such thing as an unfunded requirement.