• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a range cleaning kit for 556 / 9mm

USMC22

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
I’ve got bore guides and one piece rods for home cleaning my 556 at home.

I’m looking at a few kits to throw in the range bag for 9mm and 556.

Top contenders are:

1 - Pro Shot Defense 5.56/9mm System - Pull through and Rods
ECA82AFF-6908-46C8-8200-170FD7C7A6DD.jpeg

2 - Otis Defender Series 5.56/9mm System -
6B793722-B35D-4A97-89D6-7D85720042B7.jpeg

3 - J Dewey Customizable Field Kit -

Which one would you go with or recommend? Am I missing some secret cleaning squirrel shit?

Attachments

• 36EDE0E3-FB1A-4804-ABF9-5404F8992BE2.jpeg
    36EDE0E3-FB1A-4804-ABF9-5404F8992BE2.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 55
There is also SAIN Defense. But they are hard to find and very expensive when you do find them. (with the exception of the Bo Galloway fundraiser sale in the PX at $60, but the fundraiser kits are .30 cal kits and only come with the case, cleaning mat, and rods w/handle. They won't come with patches, jags, brushes, mops, solvent/oil, etc).

I'm just wrapping up piecing together my own cleaning/tool kit. I wish there was a one fully accessorized, portable kit available. But I'm finding it's best to get something like the ones you have linked, add anything that might be needed (like extra patches because they never come with enough), and modify the kit to suit individual need. As for which one of those is the best? they all look about the same, so I would buy the one with the biggest case unless cost dictates otherwise.

There is also SAIN Defense. But they are hard to find and very expensive when you do find them. (with the exception of the Bo Galloway fundraiser sale in the PX at $60, but the fundraiser kits are .30 cal kits and only come with the case, cleaning mat, and rods w/handle. They won't come with patches, jags, brushes, mops, solvent/oil, etc).

I'm just wrapping up piecing together my own cleaning/tool kit. I wish there was a one fully accessorized, portable kit available. But I'm finding it's best to get something like the ones you have linked, add anything that might be needed (like extra patches because they never come with enough), and modify the kit to suit individual need. As for which one of those is the best? they all look about the same, so I would buy the one with the biggest case unless cost dictates otherwise.
Thanks, I’ve got the SAIN defense for the 30 cal in Multicam with the marker panel. Its a nice kit made by Tab Gear and I checked to see if they had any kits or had done any others for other companies and didn’t see anything. Leaning toward the Pro Shot at this point.

I built my own cleaning/maintenance kit for the range based around Otis products and it's served me very well over the years, even pulled some fellow shooters out of a jam a time or two. That being said I'd never really looked at the ProShot kits but dang they look nice. I like how they do their pull through cables and patches and handle system. I'd probably lean towards the ProShot kit also if I was doing it all over again.

Reactions: USMC22
For basic maintenance you could go with a USGI Vietnam era field kit and supplement as required. It’s not fancy but light, compact and functional.

I didn't know you had to clean 556 rifles or 9mm pistols. What does cleaning them at the range accomplish?

Get’s a stuck or head separated case out of the chamber or stuck bullet out of the barrel at times. Also speeds up a slow bolt of a suppressed rifle if needed. Gets a blown primer out of the trigger area. Murphy exist at the range just like in the field.