• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a rangefinder for less than $600.... for steel target shooting.

Onewolf42

Peon
Minuteman
Hey,

As the subject says, I'm looking for a rangefinder for steel target shooting. Out to 1000 yds, maybe up to 1200 yds max. Right now I'm considering option #1 = Zeiss Victory PRF 8-26 and Option #2=Leica CRF1000-R.

Would either/both of those rangefinders function effectively on steel targets out to 1000yds? Are there any other rangefinders available for <$600 that I should consider?

Thanks.

My 2 cents, based on having played with the Leica 1600 CRF (which a few years ago as not living up to their reputation, and I know they have a new model now), the Swovorski LRF, and the Bushnell 1600 ARC (which is probably still a best buy, but getting old).

I ended up with a Vextronix Terrapin and haven't looked back.

-GB

Original review....

Ok,

This is the Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC MONOCULAR range finder, not the FUSION binocs. I say this, because many people confuse the two.

This range finder works perfectly to 1600 yards without issue. I have not been able to get it to range past 1600 yards, so I wonder if it's software limited.

The primary difference between this unit and it's closest top-of-the-line competitor, the Leica 1600 Rangemester CRF is that this unit actually works and is 1/2 the price.

The glass on the Bushnell is not as nice and the Leica or the Swavorski LRF units.

However, Leica has a large number of 1600 units that don't actually work (range) properly, and the Swavorski, which better at ranging 2000 yard distances, does not have ANY of the fetured of this unit.

So, unless you NEED superior glass, as opposed to good glass, and you want to spend time and money looking for a working Leica unit, then this is the unit for you.

I'm not trilled that it's not made in Japan like the Fusion Binocs; it's made in China. However, it does tell you the angle you are shooting from, gives you an accurate distance to the target (I've compared ranging information to Google Earth), and has target, brush, and standard modes.

It works, and it's the only really great Bushnell option out there.

One note: According to Bushnell typical turn around on repair of one of these units is at least 4 weeks. However, all of the ELITE units are warrantied for life.

One advantage this unit has is that it uses a CR123a battery, as opposed to a CR2. So batteries can be found everywhere.

Recharible CR123 batteries are NOT an option for this unit.

I just took a class where I was able to range steel at every yardage from 98 yards to just over a mile. My Leica Crf 1000 did very well. I was able to range one target at 1094. Past that It wouldn't read, but there were only three targets farther. 1100, 1174, and 1772. I compared it to a Terrapin and a Bushnell 1600 bino(these both read to the 1 mile target). It was within a yard almost everytime. Granted I had to figure out where on the reticle the beam was focused. Mine is 3/4 up on the left side of the reticle. I am very impressed with mine.

Onewolf42,

take a look at this article on several different kinds of Rangefinders. It will give you a very good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Ranging Performance Results | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

In my opinion, if you ever plan on shooting past 900 yards, you're going to have to spend a good amount of money on a rangefinder. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Terrapin and even though it was painful to lay down that kind of dough I know I will have it for years to come and I will never be limited. You'll get to a point where your RF will only hit a target at a distance that you have already exceeded and then you'll need to sell it to buy something better.

A terrapin is not a possibility for the foreseeable future. My entire rifle/optic cost less than a terrapin. :) Right now that extra "terrapin" money is going into training (K&M/Thunderbeast) and practice ammunition. Maybe I'll be ready for a terrapin class rangefinder in a couple of years.

I'll probably go with the Zeiss for now because I think I like the horizontal form factor vs the vertical form factor of the Leica.

I'll put a vote in for used leica 1600b's . If you are patient and look around you can get them for GREAT prices in like new condition (less than $600).

The two times I used them I was able to range out to 1997 and 1999, but from my understanding not everyone's does that we'll. Also I have never tried it on game, so I can't comment on that.

Edit: I had to rewrite my post, for some reason it good cut off the first time I posted

Last edited:
I'll put a vote in for used leica 1600b's . If you are patient and look around you can get them for GREAT prices in like new condition (<$600)

I've only used mine twice so far, outside of my backyard, and I was able to range up to 1997 and 1999 . I haven't tried them on game however, so I can't comment that.

This.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TL using Tapatalk

Terrapin's for everyone would be great but I doubt Obama will give all of us one anytime soon.....

I made a similar decision between the Leica / Swaro and found a Swaro, like new for about the same cost. Terrapin is "the" rangefinder and Swaro / Leica are solid 2nd place contenders.

I love the Zeiss, but I wish I had a Leica 1600b...works just as good, fits in pouches better

I'll probably go with the Zeiss for now because I think I like the horizontal form factor vs the vertical form factor of the Leica.

Of course you know any of them will work just fine held any which way. I love my Zeiss, but I have to be aware the laser from it is not round, but oblong. I find that holding the unit vertically when ranging small objects over flat ground often gives better results.

Actually, many of them are not round.

I personally loved the Leica's functionality... but I really has an issue with the original 1600 (not 1600b). What I didn't like about the Swaro is that while it could range at 1600 meters, it had no extra features like the Leica.

In the end, the Terrapin was just the natural progression, and I really doubt I'll need anything better.

The new unit is like the other one, it'll probably work well. Any reviews you care to point us toward?

Curious about the Swarovski. Does it have the ability to display the effective distance considering the angle of incline/decline versus the absolute distance like the Leica 1600-B has? Based on my reading of the Swarovski owner's manual it does not.

Thanks!

Curious about the Swarovski. Does it have the ability to display the effective distance considering the angle of incline/decline versus the absolute distance like the Leica 1600-B has? Based on my reading of the Swarovski owner's manual it does not.

Thanks!

Nope, the Swao is very basic. It was THE best thing you could get until Bushnell came out with the ARC 1600 binoculars.

Then Leica updated their line with the 1600 CRF with added all sorts of features (which are great), but the original 1600 has quality control issues / inconsistencies.

(Hence my eventual purchase of the Bushnell 1600 ARC monocular LRF... Which was pretty darned good.)

The Terrapin is awesome, the new 1600b is the best cost effective solution if you want small. BUT: remember that because it's small, it's hard to hold still for long distances.

I'm curious about the 1 mile Bushnell...

I know the op said under 600. I was playing with my leica 1000 this morning comparing to my FILs. They both were reading a chimney stack at 1100 on a building. It was ~24" wide. They read everything I shot them at between 11 and. 1100. Euro optics has them for 399 right now I'm guessing clearanced?

I have first hand experience using the Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile Arc 8x.
The glass could be a little better but for ~$600 this LRF was a decent "deal".
On a clear and bright sunny day it can range out to ~1800 yards off a reflective object.
Either a car license plate or off a 16" chrome wheel.
I used a SLIK mini tripod and a Precision Rifle Solutions UOMTMP which was designed for the Bushnell Fusion Binoculars.
The Bushnell 1 Mile Arcs can be purchased for ~$600-$580 off Ebay.