• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a reliable and accurate 6.5 Creedmoor Gas Gun

Eurodriver

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2011
USA
I’ve looked at Larue, JP, Noveske, and KAC but unsure what the best way to go is. Larue and Noveske seem overpriced and their wait times are *Stupid*. Lots of good reviews about JP by PRS folks but I’ve never shot one. KAC seems reliable but I’m unsure the accuracy is there. These are all perceptions based on limited amounts of time behind each gun and reading about JP.

I will be using this to shoot PRS, but I shoot for fun, and usually suppressed. I’m not trying to take home any trophies but usually finish in the top third. Of course I want something accurate but it needs to be reliable suppressed and Unsuppressed more than anything. Preference of a 20-22” barrel as well. Anything shorter I feel I’d struggle a bit more than needed.

FWIW I’ve shot PRS matches before with a suppressed 20” gas gun so I’m not new to it. I just want a quality factory rifle.

I picked up a 6.5 CM Odin works upper.
22 inch with a +2 gas tube and AGB.

I usually run it suppressed, but it runs both ways.

Very smooth shooter, and 1 moa guarantee.

At 100 yards it is 1 moa all day long, I have not aired it out to 1000 yards as of yet to see if it holds. Which is why I originally bought it for also and to shoot in some prs matches.

I put a ATHLON BTR 4.5-27 X 50 on it.

This is a 10 round group at 1000 yards out of my jp lrp07, 22inch barrel with factory prime 6.5 creedmoor(with norma brass) suppressed. The JP will be capable for you.

Attachments

• 20190901_153446.jpg
    20190901_153446.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
I shot several groups like that in the rain, prone with bipod and rear bag on 2nd day of 2 day class with lowlights instruction/feedback on my shooting form/techniques. The best money I've ever spent to improve my groups. And Frank is actually a really awesome guy. Fun to have a beer with. He really knows his craft and is an excellent instructor. Very easy to learn from.

PWS Mk 218 (18" barrel) or Mk220 (20") are good options. Piston driven gas gun in 6.5 that runs great suppressed. Not quite as expensive as the other guys and I have heard several accounts of far more capable shooters than me squeezing out less than 0.5 MOA groups. PWS also has great customer service. Not quite a JP level rifle but I put a SSA-E trigger in my Mk218 and its one hell of shooter.

Reactions: TACC
I shot several groups like that in the rain, prone with bipod and rear bag on 2nd day of 2 day class with lowlights instruction/feedback on my shooting form/techniques. The best money I've ever spent to improve my groups. And Frank is actually a really awesome guy. Fun to have a beer with. He really knows his craft and is an excellent instructor. Very easy to learn from.
That's good feedback. Now you make me really want to pony up for a class.

QUOTE="theLBC, post: 8234682, member: 139103"]
FN Scar 20S is now being offered in 6.5CM.

[/QUOTE]
I have wanted a SCAR in 6.5 for a while now, but the price point is always a show stopper for me. I regret the time I passed up on a new 17 for $2500. This 20 in 6.5 looks interesting and makes me drool a little but I wonder if it will eat optics alive like the 17 does?

Reactions: LG65CM and theLBC
QUOTE="theLBC, post: 8234682, member: 139103"]
FN Scar 20S is now being offered in 6.5CM.

I have wanted a SCAR in 6.5 for a while now, but the price point is always a show stopper for me. I regret the time I passed up on a new 17 for $2500. This 20 in 6.5 looks interesting and makes me drool a little but I wonder if it will eat optics alive like the 17 does?
the 20S, with the heavier weight, it pretty soft shooting in .308, so I imagine the 6.5CM is going to be pretty easy on optics compared to the Scar-H or 17S in .308.
price is sort of relative. there are more expensive options that don't always seem as reliable.

the 20S, with the heavier weight, it pretty soft shooting in .308, so I imagine the 6.5CM is going to be pretty easy on optics compared to the Scar-H or 17S in .308.
price is sort of relative. there are more expensive options that don't always seem as reliable.
That's a really good point. The weight and extra rigidity form the longer upper will probably help a lot. Damn it, just when I had myself talked out of one.

I really wish that had been an option when I got my SR25 but it came out like a few months after... I like the KAC stuff and always wanted an SR25 and I have no complaints with the 7.62 version. Considering the Mk20 for 6.5 but it's kinda out of range right now.

JP would probably be the most accurate though. And that guy has targets to show it.

You got a lot of good options at that price though.

I’d buy a LMT MWS long range and swap in a Geissele of your preference. It comes standard with a 24” barrel but if you have a dealer order it for you LMT will configure it with another length at no charge. I bet that V1 tactical place would special order you one for a really good price. I also know a LMT dealer in VA that offers great pricing and does special orders that would probably order it for you and ship it down to your FFL. PM me if you want his info.

Or if you don’t mind a steers and queers edition there’s this one for $2500:

Build from someone like MSTN or Craddock > JP > LMT > Seekins > F4 Defense >>> Everyone else in terms of price/performance. Honestly between those options you cannot go wrong, pick whichever suits your wallet and uses best.

Reactions: MPDS13
I could not agree more with @LeadZeke I also highly recommend MSTN. Wes will build you a rifle exactly how you want it and it will be amazingly smooth and out shoot just about everything out there.

@Eurodriver if you want to shoot suppressed and unsuppressed in a 6.5 gas gun I'd definitely stick with the JP. There's a lot of little things that JP does that end up making the system really perform. Both of my JP 6.5's get used as loaner rifles at the TX Precision monthly matches. We ran 4 shooters on this 6.5 back in October, 3 new shooters and me. 100% reliable and one of the new guys even crushed me on the modified bench stage out to 1070 yd. Last stage of the day and he definitely had the hang of the game by then!

Attachments

• IMG_8544.jpg
    IMG_8544.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 102
JP makes good guns.

The British Commonwealth and the free parts of Europe and South America are buying the MWS because it’s reliable and robust.

There will be parts everywhere in a few years.

From a supply chain and sustainment standpoint, the MWS is a no-brainer.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Start with an 80% arms lower and build it. Use and adjustable gas block and you’ll be good to go. Plus it will be exactly what you want. The 80% lowers even have tension screw holes (they use aero Precision nylon tipped tension screws)under the rear takedown lug for a guaranteed tight fit.

Every gun I've ever bought from Stag was a peach.

Description

The Stag 10 24" 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle was specifically designed for long range use. This rifle uses the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge for increased accuracy with less recoil to reach out and touch your target. The Stag 10 line features a Stag Slant Cut and includes uniquely designed parts for the lower to guarantee the best fit between the upper and lower. The remainder of the rifle utilizes the DPMS platform for parts compatibility.
This rifle features a 24" 1/8 twist barrel, VG6 Gamma 65 muzzle device, 16.5" Stag M-LOK Handguard and a QPQ Nitride BCG.
Every complete AR10 rifle from Stag Arms comes with a Transferable Lifetime Warranty, an Infinite Shot Barrel Guarantee and a magazine.

I can't speak for the Creed, but I've got a pair of 223/5.56 Super Varminters, and they have been impressing me for going on a decade. Not only would I shoot mine in a SW LR Regional Championship, I have.

These days they go by a different name, but...

Last edited:
@Eurodriver drive to Atlanta to visit your friends, pick this up for $1900 while in the area,order a 20” 6.5 barrel, and rock on. You’ll have a chrome 308 blaster barrel for shooting pigs and a 6.5 for matches. The poi shifts from barrel swaps are repeatable. The LMT’s are heavy, but so are most PRS rigs. The LMT won’t disappoint.

Build from someone like MSTN or Craddock > JP > LMT > Seekins > F4 Defense >>> Everyone else in terms of price/performance. Honestly between those options you cannot go wrong, pick whichever suits your wallet and uses best.
I don't remember MSTN doing large frame ARs. Guess I will hit their site.

I’ll give JP another vote. My 6.5 lrp-07 has been extremely accurate and has been 100% reliable. Their new large frame upper is a nice update.

Make a spreadsheet of what it would cost to build that and get back to us.
Why do I need to do that? There is nothing special about that rifle. Every part on it is an off the shelf item that anyone can buy. He is charging quite a bit of money to do something that anyone with half a brain could do themselves. Why don't you tell us what makes that rifle worth $4k.

Seekins SP10. Mine is sub half minute with hand Loads. Often shoots in the .2’s when I’m on my game. Check out their warranty and beyond MOA guarantee.

Why do I need to do that? There is nothing special about that rifle. Every part on it is an off the shelf item that anyone can buy. He is charging quite a bit of money to do something that anyone with half a brain could do themselves. Why don't you tell us what makes that rifle worth $4k.

The parts in question alone are around $3k at the very minimum. This is a specialty lightweight build, if you want pure accuracy you can get a build from CLE for around $2k (or MSTN could build you the same thing for the same price), but this was just an example.

There is a lot of know-how that takes a bunch of good parts and makes them into a great rifle. Not to mention the need for speciality tools. Gas key to gas tube play, bolt lock/slop, receiver truing and bedding, the list goes on and on. Whether or not that is worth the premium depends largely on what you want to use the rifle for and how much time/expertise/tools you have to do it yourself. For most, the answer is yes it is worth it if you are looking for that level of performance. Most do not have the time/tools/know-how to take $3k worth of parts and turn them into something that is more than the sum of its parts. If you slapped them all together yourself with no attention to detail, maybe it will run great maybe it won't. But even if luck smiled upon you and it was a great rifle, it will 100% not run as well (if it does at all, large frames can be particularly finicky) as if you have a quality smith like MSTN hand fit and tune the important parts.

But yeah, if you can do it yourself and/or don't need every last 3/10ths of an inch on target then don't buy from a smith, pretty fucking simple.

lols

I have built many over the years, all have shot as expected and ran just fine suppressed and un-suppressed. You guys act like it is nearly impossible to put a large frame together, it is not that hard. Yes we see thread after thread from guys that can't get their shit to run and its because they are trying to build them for as cheap as possible. Bolt shit parts together and you get a shit rifle, period.

Rainier Arms had the POF piston 6.5 models for $1600 as I recall.
iMO POF’s don’t get enough respect.