• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a safe that holds guns...

Gadget-X

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2020
Hello members. My first post so be gentle :)

I am looking for a safe that can work for 10 or so long guns (4 with scopes) and hold my queens jewelry. Yes I have read through the threads most dating back to 2011-2014.

I am considering the following safes. Liberty Lincoln 50, Ft Knox Defender thru Guardian series in 7241 size and a Amsec BF-7240. I know some safes have improved in the last 7 years.

Not budget constrained, but $1000s of dollars by a bunch of beer so my boggy is $7K.

My question is there one of these (or another brand) that is better security yet still is 90 min fire rated for our family documents & photos.

I am leaning toward the Guardian by Ft Knox. Thoughts?

Thank you

M

make a room in your house or apartment set up just for your guns secure it easy cheaper and no bulky expensive equipment required . my house is pretty small but my guns don't mind not having a windows they are secure on the walls pretty safely non of them have ever fallen on there own accord so its pretty safe . In 40 years no one has ever tried to cut through the walls of the house to get to them a little dry wall and a nice bolt on the steel inside door and no on not allowed in is just walking in just a suggestion or an option.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Statistically it’s about 50/50 of being robbed vs fire so look for both ratings. If your really wanting to get what you pay for look for ul rated safes in whatever level of security you need. The ul rated safes are more expensive mostly because it takes a lot to get certified and the extra materials that go into a real safe. I like the SAFE manufactures like amsec, graffunder and others. After you get something make sure you bolt it down and put it in an area where it can be seen by the neighbors or from a road or in a small area where you would have a hard time getting tools or pry bars in there to pry it open with. You ever wonder why stores put their safes out in the open so everyone can see from either inside or outside, it’s because the robbers don’t want to be in plain view while doing their work.

Another option is a vault door for 3K - works with basements. Also, Eastern Insurance will write a 50K policy for about $200/yr. Covers scopes, traveling, etc.
Just more options.

I just bought a 40 gun Rhino safe and it is great. Also, keep in mind that a safe will not hold as many long guns as “advertised”, go as big as you are comfortable with.

Reactions: Cjl2010
What I learned about gun safes, Go bigger. When we leave for vacations I feel like I’m playing Tetris trying to get all the guns to fit and the door closed hahah. I’m not kidding though I’m going to need to purchase a second one.

I have a Sportsman Steel Double wide with 2hr fire rating. It was one of the biggest and best I could find at the time and I am pleased with it but it is not big enough! Buy one about 4x bigger than you think you would ever need, it will be full in a few year guaranteed.

Find a big safe dealer, scratch and dents, used and returns. Get one with a TL15, TL30 or best a TL30X6 rating. I won't go into all that but a good TL30X6 will usually have better fire ratings built in that most fire and gun "safes" and will provide FAR better security.

Amsec is the Colt of safes, Original is the KAC. Can't go wrong with Amsec and it'll do everything you need it to do but Original does it better. Original makes their biggest one in a gun safe configuration. While it's big it doesn't hold as much as it looks, the walls and door are pretty thick. Key and dial combo is the way to go, I love having a key.

Then I'd keep an eye peeled on CL for a smaller TL30, one not tall enough for long rifles, they'll go cheaper because of that, and use it for parts and magazines.

Reactions: 1J04
I got one of the “affordable” 12 gun safes from TS, and I’m already finding out that it’s too small and will probably be selling it locally to get something bigger. Or keep it and buy an even BIGGER safe

I purchased my first safe last December. It is not huge, it holds something like 24 guns. What a mistake I made. It’s completely full and now I am already looking to purchase another one. Buy the biggest safe you can find. Happy shopping. 😊

If you want something that is truly a safe without building a vault, I would suggest that you look at either AMSEC TL-30 or a Graffunder. Large and super heavy and would stop anyone but a professional. A professional with time can get through anything so pair your safe with a house alarm system to take away the time element

Hey members.

I ended up with American Security BF-7240. It is a UL rated safe with 1/2" steel door and has a fire rating of 120 mins @ 1200deg. Funny thing is that my wife pushed me into getting it. It is a 2020 model that I was able to buy at 35% off MSRP. It has a redundant locking system (both digital & manual). Found a place that was 2 hours away that had all 3 of the safes I was considering. Thing is a monster that will be bolted down.

Thank you

M

(edit) PS - Safe door has storage for 2 long guns which is perfect for my collection.

Attachments

• IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Reactions: 1J04
Hey members.

I ended up with American Security BF-7240. It is a UL rated safe with 1/2" steel door and has a fire rating of 120 mins @ 1200deg. Funny thing is that my wife pushed me into getting it. It is a 2020 model that I was able to buy at 35% off MSRP. Found a place that was 2 hours away that had all 3 of the safes I was considering. Thing is a monster that will be bolted down.

Thank you

M

Does the bottom come apart so you can fit rifles into it?

Yes you can reconfigure all shelving. I need to fit a couple of 52" long guns that have suppressors, so I needed the height.

M

Reactions: Nik H
Gadget, Look at these safes, buuut...Figure out WHERE you need to put it first. Will it be in the garage, is your foundation concrete or will it go in the basement? Make sure you can get it into the spot you picked out for it, and WHY you picked that spot. It had to go in the garage since I'm not into replacing doors in my home. Bolted and epoxied down is fine. My whole foundation is concrete, but even though the safe is fire-rated, the firefighters have to pass it to get into most of the house so they can hose it down on the way. I am putting those between stud wall safe/mirrors in for quick access when I can, but letting my insurer know what I had for valuables also got me another discount on my insurance. Lotsa other good info above brother, but definitely buy bigger than you think, you won't regret it.