• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for a scope, BUT....

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
...I want to make sure can swap it over once i "upgrade". basically, here is the deal, I am in teh market for a rifle and scope, and I will be making a rifle purchase of one of the following, PROBALY:
Howa, Remington 700, or the Savage Weather Warrior. Now, nothing is set in stone, but those rifles listed above are in my price range and caliber looking for.
Eventually, i am gonna step up to a more serious rifle (in the .338+ caliber) and was HOPING that the scope I put on one of the rifles listed above, would work until my pocketbook cools down and can step into a more serious scope.

So, basically looking for a scope that will be OVERKILL for one of teh 3 rilfes listed above, but PROABLY not enough scope (but will still work) on a rifle in the .338-.50 range.

Use: some deer hunting, but more range shooting/markmanship. Yes, first purchase of a scope...

Re: Looking for a scope, BUT....

Peepaw,

Gee, I never knew my .223, 6.5's, 7mm, and 308's were not "serious" rifles, seriously.......

You learn something new here on the Hide every day. Oh, I see your also looking for a "un-serious" scope to put on an un-serious rifle, until you can get a "serious" one of both, and have a pair, seriously.

I seriously don't know how I could help you, but I'm sure someone can. BTW are you in to Serious Deer Hunting, because I'm not familiar with that particular species...

Have a sparking day, and welcome to the HIDE, it's seriously fun here....
grin.gif

Bob

If you are planning on swapping it to a heavier caliber rifle in the future, then get a quality scope with long eyerelief. Otherwise you will get a black eye when you get serious.

Long eyerelief defined as 3.8" or more.

See a lot of posts from guys who've bought a rifle and now need a scope. Spent a lot on the rifle and don't have a lot leftover for optics.

Can't recall every seeing a post from someone who bought a scope and is now looking for a rifle to match to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Night Force 5.5-22 with the MLR reticle and .1 Mil knobs </div></div>

Thanks for teh reply. I have gotten another vote for Night Force through my PM's, so that is 2.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peepaw,

Gee, I never knew my .223, 6.5's, 7mm, and 308's were not "serious" rifles, seriously.......

You learn something new here on the Hide every day. Oh, I see your also looking for a "un-serious" scope to put on an un-serious rifle, until you can get a "serious" one of both, and have a pair, seriously.

I seriously don't know how I could help you, but I'm sure someone can. BTW are you in to Serious Deer Hunting, because I'm not familiar with that particular species...

Have a sparking day, and welcome to the HIDE, it's seriously fun here....
grin.gif

Bob </div></div>

Sorry if that offended you, but I think (at least HOPE) you know what I mean. Safe to assume that a $500 rifle is in a different league than a $2000 rifle, agreed? If not, why the huge difference in $$$.
Not meaning to start an argument, and with all respect, yes, I know that ANY gun should be considered "serious" regardless of caliber....just meant when I take it to the next level, stepping up in caliber. Is that better?

Kind of like drag racing...some can consider a 9 sec 1/4 mile race car "serious" but when you hop into a Top Fuel Dragster, you are stepping into a more "serious" race car.

OH, BTW...thanks for the humor/laugh this morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are planning on swapping it to a heavier caliber rifle in the future, then get a quality scope with long eyerelief. Otherwise you will get a black eye when you get serious.

Long eyerelief defined as 3.8" or more. </div></div>

Yes, one day (not sure when, but yes, plan to) step into a heavier caliber rifle...

Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See a lot of posts from guys who've bought a rifle and now need a scope. Spent a lot on the rifle and don't have a lot leftover for optics.

Can't recall every seeing a post from someone who bought a scope and is now looking for a rifle to match to it. </div></div>

Well, that is what I am trying to avoid....not having enough for the scope. I know my budget and would to like to stay in the $500-$1000 (at or under $800 would be ideal) for JUST teh rifle...and would like to find a scope in the $500 range. Now, if I have to spend a little more on teh scope, I am willing to do so....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44566.aspx
http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P9151.aspx
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx

Here are some ideas. </div></div>

OK, obviously those are some pretty nice scopes. Now, if I can ask this...WHAT am I looking at? Again, I kow those are pretty nice scopes, because of the $$$$ figure, because I can go down to wal Mart and pay $100 and pick a scope, so....

What does each number mean...take: 4-16x50 What am I looking at with those numbers? What makes that scope a better scope than the next? Then how can a $3000 scope be that much better than this one? Materials? Or????

I know that asking that question, leaves ALOT of room for interpretation, so if you want to throw out teh "short" version, that would be great.

It's like this guys....you put a car in front of me, and if you need the motor rebuilt, I can do it. tranny? No problem. Rear end? Have you covered there to. Wiring? Fuel system? Metal repair? Need something fabbed up...roll cage? No sweat, I can do it all (minus paint/body work)

Guns? HA! Scopes? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! When I would hunt with my Dad when i first started out YEARS back, I knew what I was shooting, but could not tell you what i was looking through. My most recent trips with friends, same thing...knew the gun, but NOT teh scope. It is something that I have just NEVER paid any attention to, until now. SO, I mean, I know absolutely NOTHING about scopes other than they can get REAL expensive and you look through it to magnify the target, and that's it. Seriously. Sorry for you guys having to deal with a complete rookie, but hey...I am trying (and being honest)

If you think price makes a "pretty nice" scope... you should look into counter sniper scopes. From a dollar standpoint... they are about as serious as you can get. Check out their titanium models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think price makes a "pretty nice" scope... you should look into counter sniper scopes. From a dollar standpoint... they are about as serious as you can get. Check out their titanium models. </div></div>

No.

OK give the guy a break. Have we not all been in the same boat at one time or another??? I know I still am. Heck I just am getting my rifle up and going. I think what Orkan is trying to get at is that a good scope is not necessarily the most expensive, and don't get a counter sniper scope they are insanely overpriced junk. Call me touchy but I think BobinNC and Orkan need to step back and cool off. Anyway now that I has expressed my slight disapproval I will try to get back on subject. You are looking at the quality of the scope including the glass quality, clarity, durability, vertical and horizontal internal adjustment and eye relief. What I suggest is going to a sporting goods store that carries multiple brands of scopes and looking thru them at distance and in different light. See what you like and what you can afford. Oh and the numbers Say 4-16x50 mean as follows, 4 thru 16 variable power magnification and the objective lens diameter of 50mm. The larger the lens diameter the more light transmission to your eye piece and therefore a brighter picture. I'm sure there are many members who can explain this better than I have and in more detail and I hope they chime in. Good luck Pat

396Chevy has some good advice about going down and handling a few. I would also suggest hitting the net and visiting a few vendor sites such as the attached and learning the basics.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/tech-talk/

Reading through some of the online manuals will probably provide some additional information as well. I'd also search around a bit and find some answers to what I'm sure is your next question about rings and bases.

Also, if you look around the site you will see some extremely "serious" Howa, Remmy, ahd Savage rifles that are way more than most of us can properly utilize. Since you are new to this, I would suggest just focusing on learning to shoot one of those for a while and just getting a decent scope to get started. To utilize the larger calibers at effective distances will probably require significant upgrades in skill, equipment, and optics.

Cool off? I wasn't hot.

I was simply trying to state that price doesn't make quality, so don't go making decisions based on that factor.

First, define the need.

Second, make a list of scopes that fit the need.

Third, cross off the ones that don't fit in your budget.

Fourth, if you haven't got it narrowed down yet... then post your question with the specific models you think will work and allow people to talk about the ones they have personal experience with.

You'll probably get better feedback and more accurate info that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think price makes a "pretty nice" scope... you should look into counter sniper scopes. From a dollar standpoint... they are about as serious as you can get. Check out their titanium models. </div></div>

Thanks for sarcasm. I guess you came out of the womb educated about scopes, right? Man, cool.

Wanna tell me how to compute compression ratio on a engine? Do you know the meaning of duarion on a camshaft? Duaration @ .050? Advertsied duration? Lobe seperation angle?

Didn't think so, but thanks for your reply on teh scope. REALLY helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanna tell me how to compute compression ratio on a engine? Do you know the meaning of duarion on a camshaft? Duaration @ .050? Advertsied duration? Lobe seperation angle?</div></div>

Nope. I don't have a clue about any of that shit. Thats why I hire someone like you.

Secondly... I don't assume just because an engine is expensive, that its good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK give the guy a break. Have we not all been in the same boat at one time or another??? I know I still am. Heck I just am getting my rifle up and going. I think what Orkan is trying to get at is that a good scope is not necessarily the most expensive, and don't get a counter sniper scope they are insanely overpriced junk. Call me touchy but I think BobinNC and Orkan need to step back and cool off. Anyway now that I has expressed my slight disapproval I will try to get back on subject. You are looking at the quality of the scope including the glass quality, clarity, durability, vertical and horizontal internal adjustment and eye relief. What I suggest is going to a sporting goods store that carries multiple brands of scopes and looking thru them at distance and in different light. See what you like and what you can afford. Oh and the numbers Say 4-16x50 mean as follows, 4 thru 16 variable power magnification and the objective lens diameter of 50mm. The larger the lens diameter the more light transmission to your eye piece and therefore a brighter picture. I'm sure there are many members who can explain this better than I have and in more detail and I hope they chime in. Good luck Pat </div></div>

Thank you. And NO, I know that "price" does not make a scope, just like no more than a high dollar car, makes it perfect. Hell, look at Jaguar...WAY overpriced, and one of the most unreliable cars out there. You are NOT getting what you pay for when you buy a Jaguar, I realize that, and I also realize that with a scope. I also realize that a $100 scope is not going to compete with the MAJORITY of $500, $600, etc.. scopes is what I was getting at.

And just because it is "expensive" does not mean anything, period. But seriously, thank you for taking the time to respond and explain things to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanna tell me how to compute compression ratio on a engine? Do you know the meaning of duarion on a camshaft? Duaration @ .050? Advertsied duration? Lobe seperation angle?</div></div>

Nope. I don't have a clue about any of that shit. Thats why I hire someone like you.

Secondly... I don't assume just because an engine is expensive, that its good. </div></div>

Ok, well that is the difference in me and you then...I don't hire people to do stuff that I can. I come on this site in hopes of learning/educating myself, and I could have JUST as easliy LIED and played along like I knew something, so I could look "cool", but at teh risk of sounding like a "rookie" I told the truth, knowing the risk that there would be SOMEONE to have to make sarcasic and NON-informative posts.

Don't let anyone disparage your interest. You came and asked a reasonable question, and deserve a reasonable answer. I have over the years enjoyed exemplary service out of used 10x42m Super Snipers. All purchased for under 400 bucks and easily sold for what I paid for them. Are they the last word in tactical? No. Quality? No. Price? Resoundingly, No! However, I have shot against a fellow with a GAP rifle and a U.S. Optics scope at a club PISS(Politically Incorrect Sniper Shoot} and his rig did not out shine mine at 200 meters! Am I ever going to grow up to be a Counter insugant sniper, or a Police marksman? No, but I will still be enjoying accurate,although underpriced, and frivolous firearms. What I find that I want is a rifle that shoots better than I do, and maybe one day before I die, I will get to shoot past 500yards with the very same people that don't take me seriously.
Good luck in your search and remember anything that you buy used from this forum, you can sell at little or no experience fee.(loss)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">396Chevy has some good advice about going down and handling a few. I would also suggest hitting the net and visiting a few vendor sites such as the attached and learning the basics.

Reading through some of the online manuals will probably provide some additional information as well. I'd also search around a bit and find some answers to what I'm sure is your next question about rings and bases.

Also, if you look around the site you will see some extremely "serious" Howa, Remmy, ahd Savage rifles that are way more than most of us can properly utilize. Since you are new to this, I would suggest just focusing on learning to shoot one of those for a while and just getting a decent scope to get started. To utilize the larger calibers at effective distances will probably require significant upgrades in skill, equipment, and optics. </div></div>

Thank you. I guess you could say my terminology has been used incorrectly. I was just using those words to TRY and describe something as shortly as I could, without having to type a paragraph. My mistake. Just like another thread I started on rifles, I had said that once I got used to say a .300/.308, I would step into a more "serious" rifle. Now, that offended a few guys tht had .300/.308, that i refered to thier rifles as being NON-"serious". And all I was trying to say was that once I was used to the .300/.308, would step into a more powerful gun, in teh .338.416/.50 cal range is all. I KNOW THAT ALL GUNS SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, but I think we could all "assume" that we all know that when you start talking about the higher caliber rifles, the .416/.50 they are in a different league than the lower cal rifles, .270.300, etc...and THAT was what I meant when I said a more "serious" rifle. Did NOT mean that a .308 was not serious, at all. Again, I guess you could say poor choice of words on my part is all.

Same thing with scopes...I realize and know tht just because something is expensive, does not make it good. Again, same things go with a car. Just because it is expensive, does NOT mean it is worth a flying hoot. Jaguar is a perfect example of this.

I also know, that if I spend $50 on a crankshaft, I am gonna get a stock, cast iron crankshaft that is gonna hold @ 600-700HP, depending on application, and that if I go spend $2500 on a Billet Steel crankshaft, that it will hold 3000+ HP.

So, maybe my words were a poor choice in describing what I meant,and sorry for teh confusion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxposner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't let anyone disparage your interest. You came and asked a reasonable question, and deserve a reasonable answer. I have over the years enjoyed exemplary service out of used 10x42m Super Snipers. All purchased for under 400 bucks and easily sold for what I paid for them. Are they the last word in tactical? No. Quality? No. Price? Resoundingly, No! However, I have shot against a fellow with a GAP rifle and a U.S. Optics scope at a club PISS(Politically Incorrect Sniper Shoot} and his rig did not out shine mine at 200 meters! Am I ever going to grow up to be a Counter insugant sniper, or a Police marksman? No, but I will still be enjoying accurate,although underpriced, and frivolous firearms. What I find that I want is a rifle that shoots better than I do, and maybe one day before I die, I will get to shoot past 500yards with the very same people that don't take me seriously.
Good luck in your search and remember anything that you buy used from this forum, you can sell at little or no experience fee.(loss) </div></div>

Thank you, and no worries over here. No one can deter me. I realize that everywhere you go, you are gonna run into people that "misunderstand" you, nor don't care, nor don't want to help, etc...and that's fine. I just move on.

ANd the only reason that it took me so long to respond is because of work...been working on a customers car this past week...drove in from New Mexico on leave from Air Force, and did a Heads Cam intake clutch, blah blah blah swap, and at it for 16-17 hour days, so was tied up this past weeek.

Anyways, my search continues for info, and will take MOST of what has been said here as good info, and become more educated. I Do have a lead on a nice Savage in a .308 cal...just never have done the "buying a gun over teh internet" before, and having to check into that.

Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, define the need.

Second, make a list of scopes that fit the need.

Third, cross off the ones that don't fit in your budget.

Fourth, if you haven't got it narrowed down yet... then post your question with the specific models you think will work and allow people to talk about the ones they have personal experience with.

You'll probably get better feedback and more accurate info that way. </div></div>

Well, truth be told, I DID do that on my rifle thread, and while I DID get some good info, not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe again my terminology was off, and that did not entice the proper response?

Anyways, look, you and I got off on teh wrong foot. I can move on if you can, so no worries over here, ok?

I guess with all of teh info that has been thrown my way (in the thread, along with PM's), has ben alot to take in all at once. Just trying to go back, take it slow, read it all over, soak it in, and make a good buy. As I mentioned above, I am seriously considering a Savage in a .308, and say that deal goes through....are there any downfalls to that gun, as far as ring/scope, etc, selection? I mean, I DOUBT it, but thought I would ask anyways.

If you (along with everyone else) owned this gun, what setup would YOU run, and why?

My use? Some deer hunting, but more range shooting than anything...with teh nod towards long distance....

Thanks

Oh, yes guys, my "the" comes out "teh" MOST times...I know how to spell, just a HORRIBLE typist, and just normally do not go back and change/correct it. Oh well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, well that is the difference in me and you then...I don't hire people to do stuff that I can. I come on this site in hopes of learning/educating myself, and I could have JUST as easliy LIED and played along like I knew something, so I could look "cool", but at teh risk of sounding like a "rookie" I told the truth, knowing the risk that there would be SOMEONE to have to make sarcasic and NON-informative posts. </div></div>

Fair enough. I'm not good enough at math to count the times I act like an asshole. I apologize.
smile.gif

I have an older Savage(1995), I installed a Sharpshooter trigger in it and is does shoot very well. I haven't loaded to it's supposed potential, but I have ADD and it is hard for an old guy to concentrate. There is a Savage shooters forum and those guys have a wealth of information as far as loads go. It is hard to find a rifle that will outshoot it in that price range, or any other for that matter. So, as I said before, if you don't like it, you can pass it on. Enjoy, with shooting it's the "journey". Wow I always wanted to be able to use that phrase.

Some of the stuff I read on here really makes me mad why cant people just answer the guys question. I mean really? He came here for advise and some people are complete dicks... grow the fuck up!! If you cant be helpful then why the hell are you posting at all? I mean thread after thread people say stuff just to be a douche for no reason but to be a douche. If some of you spent half as much time just answering the question or not posting at all as you did being a douche bag then I guess you wouldn't have anything to do all day.

Anyways sorry for the rant I just get tired of this shit thread after thread.......

To the OP I really think you should go and take a look through the different scopes at say maybe a bass pro shop or another big store and that way you could get an idea of the cost vs quality of scopes. Although cost just doesn't mean you got a good scope it sure does mean a lot... you get what you pay for. After looking I recommend you keep reading here do some searches using this SearchHide and I would recommend a variable power for sure since you will be hunting some maybe in the 4-12 power range. As far as optics you really cant have too good of a scope in my opinion get the best you can afford and you won't regret it. As far as upgrading later Id worry about that when the time comes.

Ohh and sorry about the dumb asses that cant just answer the question...there are a lot of good people here dont let them get to you.

Tanner

One of the guys recently PM'd me for permission to use the following quotation of mine, which might also be applicable here:

"The primary motivation behind many forum posts is not the conveyance of information to the reader, but rather to display how much the writer knows."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The primary motivation behind many forum posts is not the conveyance of information to the reader, but rather to display how much the writer knows."
</div></div>

... or in my case... how much of a badass I am when it comes to killing things.

If I was you I would read, read, and read some more and educate yourself more on the subject. You will then be able to narrow down what you are looking for. I would suggest staying around that $500 price range as there are quality optics in this range such as Vortex and Super Sniper. Save the money now, and I am guessing when you step up to a more serious rifle (I knew what you meant) you will probably want to get a new scope and then you will have 2 nice rigs.
And on a side note if you haven't bought the rifle yet I would check out the Tikka T3. Very nice for around $500 new.

This is the first post in this section:

Optics FAQ's Link

It's an Optics "FAQ's" and is a great source as a primer on scopes and the price/feature point of diminishing returns. There is a welath of great information located in each section on here. Take the time to check them out and I'd say you'd find that most of your questions have already been asked and explained in detail. Welcome aboard! Seriously, there is a some great info in these pinned threads! Good luck!

Bill

welcome to the fray! While sometimes sarcastic, you can learn lots her, second only to actual use of course. I'd suggest a thick skin and determination, along with lots of ammo. Personally I gave up on the "serious" stuff so I can shoot more. You won't regret really good glass! And yes, I CAN intelligently discuss strokers, the advantages of long rods, and cam centerlines. It's just another expensive world of fun hardware.

Best wishes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, well that is the difference in me and you then...I don't hire people to do stuff that I can. I come on this site in hopes of learning/educating myself, and I could have JUST as easliy LIED and played along like I knew something, so I could look "cool", but at teh risk of sounding like a "rookie" I told the truth, knowing the risk that there would be SOMEONE to have to make sarcasic and NON-informative posts. </div></div>

Fair enough. I'm not good enough at math to count the times I act like an asshole. I apologize.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks, and again, no worries...we are all Assholes sometimes, myself included of course. Difference in a man is if he can say that he is. So, again, seriously, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxposner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an older Savage(1995), I installed a Sharpshooter trigger in it and is does shoot very well. I haven't loaded to it's supposed potential, but I have ADD and it is hard for an old guy to concentrate. There is a Savage shooters forum and those guys have a wealth of information as far as loads go. It is hard to find a rifle that will outshoot it in that price range, or any other for that matter. So, as I said before, if you don't like it, you can pass it on. Enjoy, with shooting it's the "journey". Wow I always wanted to be able to use that phrase. </div></div>

Well, now you HAVE said it, cool! Thanks. Yes, I read alot of good things about Savage, even though I have gotten some PMs from guys that don't (everyone has thier opinion)...again, just like a car...some swear by Chevy or Ford or Dodge. Me? I have owned them all, and love them all! I am NOT a brand loyalist, I am a CAR loyalist. If it is made by teh Big 3, I dig on it. Some are better than others, and each has thier quirks. I my stable right now...'03 Dodge Cummins 1 ton, wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee, my race car is a Camaro, and the family cruiser is a '55 Pontiac Chieftain. Now, before thosee cars, i drove a Chevy truck, race car was a Ford Mustang and wife drove a Uh, a well, uh, let's see, a Toyota (whoops, long story guys) and BEFORE those, I drove a Ford Powerstroke, race car was a '71 Dodge Challenger, and wife drove a, uh, yeah, sorry again, Honda Accord.

So,as you can see, I am VERY open minded...I drive the Big 3, and I try and put wife in teh MOST reliable cars i can (yeah, ten why teh jeep??? Don't ask) and hence teh Toyota and Honda. Even though I drive teh Big 3, and they make excellent cars/trucks...truth is, Honda/Toyota, for teh dollar, can't be touched, and since my wife can't work on a car on teh side of the road, she gets teh most reliable.

ANYWAYS, I am keeping options open on teh rifle..doing LOTS of homework, and teh Savage is one of teh one's that I am looking at right now. However, after doing some homework, it appears, might not be teh deal I thought it was?????

Scope...well, some of yo uhave sent me some PM's with link's and info shared on scopes, and let me say, THANKS!!!! Wow, help I am getting has been ALOT!!!

Again, YES, I know my "the" is spelled "teh"...not sure why that happens when I type??? Anyways, too lazy to go back and change them all,so keep it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of the stuff I read on here really makes me mad why cant people just answer the guys question. I mean really? He came here for advise and some people are complete dicks... grow the fuck up!! If you cant be helpful then why the hell are you posting at all? I mean thread after thread people say stuff just to be a douche for no reason but to be a douche. If some of you spent half as much time just answering the question or not posting at all as you did being a douche bag then I guess you wouldn't have anything to do all day.

Anyways sorry for the rant I just get tired of this shit thread after thread.......

To the OP I really think you should go and take a look through the different scopes at say maybe a bass pro shop or another big store and that way you could get an idea of the cost vs quality of scopes. Although cost just doesn't mean you got a good scope it sure does mean a lot... you get what you pay for. After looking I recommend you keep reading here do some searches using this SearchHide and I would recommend a variable power for sure since you will be hunting some maybe in the 4-12 power range. As far as optics you really cant have too good of a scope in my opinion get the best you can afford and you won't regret it. As far as upgrading later Id worry about that when the time comes.

Ohh and sorry about the dumb asses that cant just answer the question...there are a lot of good people here dont let them get to you.

Tanner </div></div>

Haha, thanks. Again, I am thick skinned, so nothing really deter's me, but thanks.

yes, been doing alot of reading on the board here, and qite a few magazines I have picked up) Which is funny, because I am already a fanatic when it comes to car magazines, so when my wife started seeing all teh gun magazines, she was like WTF!?!?!?!? told her I was buying a gun, and it went better than I thought.

Anyways, I can't have enough info, and even though has been ALOT to take in, I am learning. Couple guys have sent me some REALLY good info in some PM's..explaining 3x-9x and what 44 or 50 means, and which scope is ideal for hunting and which is for long distance shooting, etc...REALLY helpful. Thaks guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the guys recently PM'd me for permission to use the following quotation of mine, which might also be applicable here:

"The primary motivation behind many forum posts is not the conveyance of information to the reader, but rather to display how much the writer knows."
</div></div>

Fair enough...so, how much do you know? Haha just kidding. As far as how much I know, while it may be very little compared to most of you guys, I HAVE learned quite a bit in the short period of time I have been here, so NOT in vain!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The primary motivation behind many forum posts is not the conveyance of information to the reader, but rather to display how much the writer knows."
</div></div>

... or in my case... how much of a badass I am when it comes to killing things. </div></div>

Now THAT is why we are here, right? Was reading a mag yesterday, on a guy/hunting trip to Africa, and his take down of an Australian Buffalo with a .338, one shot...dropped him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I was you I would read, read, and read some more and educate yourself more on the subject. You will then be able to narrow down what you are looking for. I would suggest staying around that $500 price range as there are quality optics in this range such as Vortex and Super Sniper. Save the money now, and I am guessing when you step up to a more serious rifle (I knew what you meant) you will probably want to get a new scope and then you will have 2 nice rigs.
And on a side note if you haven't bought the rifle yet I would check out the Tikka T3. Very nice for around $500 new. </div></div>

No, I have not bought the rifle yet, and you are teh 3rd person who has mentioned teh Tikka (2 others in PM) And I am glad you guys did...because as I was going through ANOTHER magazine, came across a huge listing of bolt actions, and they listed teh Tikka, BUT, it gave a price range of (if memory serves correctly) $1300+, and even though I liked the style/looks of teh rifle, and came in caliber I was looking for, was out of my range. Well, it appears that those were the "tactical" rifles, and hence, why so expensive.
Anyways, since you guys brought that to my attention, I am now looking into it as well, as it seems to be a pretty popular rifle, with alot of support for it.

Yes, gonna stay in that $500 range on a scope, as I just can't justify spending anymore than that right now on a scope. Again, want to show myself that I am in this for teh long haul, and at that point, then see where it leads me. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the first post in this section:

Optics FAQ's Link

It's an Optics "FAQ's" and is a great source as a primer on scopes and the price/feature point of diminishing returns. There is a welath of great information located in each section on here. Take the time to check them out and I'd say you'd find that most of your questions have already been asked and explained in detail. Welcome aboard! Seriously, there is a some great info in these pinned threads! Good luck!

Bill </div></div>

Hey Bill. Thanks! yes, I have found that (some of you have sent that link to me in some PM's and such) and yeah, GOOD info there.
Yes, now that my questions have for the most part been answered, now need to study them!!! Haha!
Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Explorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">welcome to the fray! While sometimes sarcastic, you can learn lots her, second only to actual use of course. I'd suggest a thick skin and determination, along with lots of ammo. Personally I gave up on the "serious" stuff so I can shoot more. You won't regret really good glass! And yes, I CAN intelligently discuss strokers, the advantages of long rods, and cam centerlines. It's just another expensive world of fun hardware.

Best wishes. </div></div>

yeah, man...would be nice to find an INEXPENSIVE HOBBY for once!!! Hahahaha! Race cars, expensive? Check! Golf, expensive? Check! Traveling, expensive? Check! Rifle/Guns, expensive? Check! I think the ONLY thing I can say that I am currently doing that is "cheap"...is my model building. Currently building a B-17G bomber in honor of my Grandpa, who passed away in January...and while it has started to add up (I have had to buy like 15 different paints) nice to walk into a hobby store and spend $30 instead of $300!!! hahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">396Chevy has some good advice about going down and handling a few. I would also suggest hitting the net and visiting a few vendor sites such as the attached and learning the basics.

Also, if you look around the site you will see some extremely "serious" Howa, Remmy, ahd Savage rifles that are way more than most of us can properly utilize. Since you are new to this, I would suggest just focusing on learning to shoot one of those for a while and just getting a decent scope to get started. To utilize the larger calibers at effective distances will probably require significant upgrades in skill, equipment, and optics. </div></div>

Dirtyrod...just wanted to let you know THANKS for that link. I learned more on that one link you provided when I REALLY read and studied it than I have asking questions here and there, so again, THANKS!!

I am going to through another vote in for the NF NXS. Works great on the 308, but durable enough to stand up to the heavy calibers with no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dirtyrod...just wanted to let you know THANKS for that link. I learned more on that one link you provided when I REALLY read and studied it than I have asking questions here and there, so again, THANKS!! </div></div>

Glad it was helpful. The Optics FAQ sticky is another great source of info as well.