• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a scope that can beat the Viper PST Gen 2

NORCAL50

Not a Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
California
Suggestions Must Meet The Following Requirements:
  • MOA b/c my spotter won't change all his scopes, and I don't mind it.
  • FFP
  • Lifetime Warranty, apparently no one is on par with Vortex lol. So just lifetime is fine.
  • Zero Stop that does not limit you in the +elevation once you use it. i.e. no Vortex Scopes w/ their RevStop system.
  • Turrets with the zero and 1st rotation labeled. i.e. (0MOA - 25MOA) + (26MOA - 50MOA) on a 25MOA per rotation scope.
  • 24x Max. Magnification, at least.
  • 50mm+ Objective
  • For 30mm Scope Tubes: (Under $1200)
  • For 34mm Scope Tubes: (Under $1,000) lower b/c then I have to buy $150 Burris rings.
  • Greater than or equal to the DiamondBack glass.
  • 85+ MOA Elevation (I'm not sure if any 30mm tubes will have this, so I'm interested to see. If it only has 70MOA like the Viper I'll give it a look.)
Upgrading from the DiamondBack.

Currently looking at the Viper PST Gen 2 and only real complaint is price and the 70MOA elevation adjustment. So, I was really hoping you guys might chime in and recommend something better before I pull the trigger.

MOST CONSIDERED SUGGESTIONS AS OF 04/02/22:
  1. Viper PST Gen II w/ EBR-2C Reticle from EuroOptic $670
  2. Burris XTR III w/ SCR 2 MIL reticle from CameraLandNY $1099
  3. Arken EP5 $565
  4. Athlon Ares ETR $1250
  5. Athlon Ares BTR $870
  6. US Optics TS 5-25x50 EuroOptic $579
  7. Vortex Strike Eagle $800
MY CHOICE: Viper PST Gen II w/ EBR-2C reticle. $670 was just too good to turn down.
HONORABLE MENTION: Burris XTR III w/ *SCR 2 MIL RETICLE*

Thanks you for all the suggestions everyone!

Last edited:
Well I'll tell you right now that you can easily get in under your $1200 price with a like-new PST G2 here in the PX, so your objections are now an objection :)

ETA: Here's one that might still be available

Reactions: NORCAL50
For Vortex level warranty you are talking a Vortex period.

If lower the standard to "Lifetime" with whatever variables that brings it opens up your options.

For all the features you listed Arken and Athlon are where you'd want to be looking.

Athlon Cronus BTR- Gen 1 or 2 used from PX

Burris XTRII in 5-25 if you can handle quality suffering on the high end of the optics. Great zero stop and reliable

Burris XTRIII from CameralandNY if you want the best thing going right now. Idk if they have the MOA or not but the MIL are on sale

Burris has a great warranty as does Athlon

Vortex warranty can’t be beat and I’ve used theirs several times. I would stay away from anything Vortex. Especially the PST as 2/3 failed me

If you can do math just get the Burris XTRIII from CameralandNY. Covert MOA to MIL. Rule 3.43

The Burris XTR III definitely checked all the boxes, and gives me that extra elevation I'd want. However it's slightly (~$100) more expensive, and the reticle is worse imo (w/ the exception of the SCR 2 MIL reticle). Also I'd have to get bigger rings so that's another $150 on top.

I looked at the Athlon Cronus BTR and it also checked all the boxes, but was way out of my price range, so I started looking at the Ares BTR Gen 2, and it is very compelling. Except I'd have to get it in MRAD because there's no way I'm not gonna have double labeled turrets with 100MOA of adj. lol.

So really it is now between the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2, and the Viper PST Gen 2. Is there any reason not to get the Ares in MRAD? It has all the check marks, more magnification, +30MOA, is 30mm so I don't have to buy rings, ~$200 cheaper, reticle basically the same. Any cons to the ARES?

Last edited:
Ha! I was loving the ETR until @DangerRanger mentioned I can get the PST Gen 2 in the EBR-2C reticle for $670 from EuroOptic new. Now it's again between the Ares BTR ($650) and the PST Gen 2 ($670).

Which reticle would you folks recommend for the ETR? I saw a recent comment where someone had done a lot of hold-unders and -overs, and they had really come to like the 0.5-mil hashes instead of 0.2-mil on the vertical riser? Looks like the APRS1 is 0.5 and the APRS6 is 0.2.

You can get a viper 2 with an old reticle from eurooptic for 650 and nothing can beat it for the price
Did this a 2-3 years ago for a Viper Gen 2 3-15 with the EBR-2c mil reticle after they released the -7c as the diff in price far out weighted any diff in reticle.
I use it on a whitetail gun and do take it to the range also. I've had zero problem with it and it was a great scope for $599 even.

Athlon Cronus BTR- Gen 1 or 2 used from PX

Burris XTRII in 5-25 if you can handle quality suffering on the high end of the optics. Great zero stop and reliable

Burris XTRIII from CameralandNY if you want the best thing going right now. Idk if they have the MOA or not but the MIL are on sale

Burris has a great warranty as does Athlon

Vortex warranty can’t be beat and I’ve used theirs several times. I would stay away from anything Vortex. Especially the PST as 2/3 failed me

If you can do math just get the Burris XTRIII from CameralandNY. Covert MOA to MIL. Rule 3.43
Anyone else have this kind of failure rate? I have 2 1st gen PST's for over 10 years and never had a single problem.

Anyone else have this kind of failure rate? I have 2 1st gen PST's for over 10 years and never had a single problem.

Had 2 Gen1 PST fail on me that Vortex gladly repaired and set back good to go. Warranty is great... 1 wouldnt hold zero and the other had turret issues

Had 2 Gen1 PST fail on me that Vortex gladly repaired and set back good to go. Warranty is great... 1 wouldnt hold zero and the other had turret issues
Mine was elevation turret and parallax failures. Both Gen 1’s. One fixed one replaced. Both sold when returned to me

Gen 2 pst are supposed to be better. I went back to Sightron after my venture into vortex. 4 Sightron SIII haven’t failed me yet

Only my DiamondBack once. Parallax went out. My Viper Gen 1 mounted on my .50 has yet to go out on me w/ 500rnds through it. My spotter has gen 2 vipers on 3 of his rifles and none have gone out on him. Must just be luck of the draw.

Last edited:
Only my DiamondBack once. Parallax went out. My Viper Gen 1 mounted on my .50 has yet to go out on me w/ 500rnds through it. My spotter has gen 2 vipers on 3 of his rifles and none have gone out on him. Must just be luck of the draw.
Between a mate and I we have had 10 PSTs and only one has had issues.
It was one I bought used so could've been bad from the factory or failed in service, don't know.

Between the PST G2 and Ares BTR without a doubt go for the PST glass is a lot better, FOV is better, just feels like a nicer scope over all.
Keep aside the money you saved and put it towards a XTR3i if you want to upgrade later on.

Finally had a chance to look through a PST Gen2 5-25x50 last weekend at the range, that someone else had, and I had to help him zero it (it was bore-sighted terribly by a local store). I'd put it just slightly above my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 in glass. Wasn't impressed with the turrets not locking, and requiring the 2mm allen bit to adjust...That is one nice feature of the SE is the plastic tool and the alignment slots on the turret makes resetting it SUPER fast and easy. The locking turrets make that nice, too.

Overall, it was a really nice scope, and the glass was pretty good. Just needs some upgrades to be worth the money over the SE 5-25x56, IMO.

Finally had a chance to look through a PST Gen2 5-25x50 last weekend at the range, that someone else had, and I had to help him zero it (it was bore-sighted terribly by a local store). I'd put it just slightly above my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 in glass. Wasn't impressed with the turrets not locking, and requiring the 2mm allen bit to adjust...That is one nice feature of the SE is the plastic tool and the alignment slots on the turret makes resetting it SUPER fast and easy. The locking turrets make that nice, too.

Overall, it was a really nice scope, and the glass was pretty good. Just needs some upgrades to be worth the money over the SE 5-25x56, IMO.
agreed

strike eagle over pst gen 2 all day

Reactions: FuhQ

Both agree and disagree.

I do like the turret set up on the SE, but found the stupid plastic tool was far to brittle and all 4 sides were broken in no time.

Glass wise I don't have a 5-25 PST anymore (did at one stage) but my 3-15 vs a noticeable upgrade over the SE glass.
The SE glass is nice and surprisingly good resolution but has notably more CA than the PST, eyebox on SE is good though.

But I found I suffered from a lot more eye fatigue with the SE, when doing a long shooting session and looking through the scope for a few hours it become increasingly difficult to use.
I never noticed in hunting or during a match.

The PST on the other hand I've spent a lot of time behind and never had that issue, that glass is Alpha level glass but its at the level I consider good enough you really don't "need" anything better, whereas the SE isn't at that level.

If the 3-15 PST had an improved version with capped windage(or locking all round) and a magnification bump to 18-20ish it'd be damn near the perfect scope (for $1000 that is).

I'm glad someone mentioned the Strike Eagle. I actually like everything about it more than the Viper Gen 2, including the price. The only thing that shot it in the foot was the fact that the zero stop limits you ~+47MOA & -0.5?MOA from zero. @FuhQ @b6graham

I could bottom the elevation turret out with my MOA inserts for my scope rings (XTR Sig 3 Rings) and have a "zero stop". But, then I have to drop $150 on 34mm rings. Being that the Strike Eagle is only $100 cheaper from EuroOptic, I decided it'd make more sense to get the better glass, than put that money towards rings.

Last edited:
You
I'm glad someone mentioned the Strike Eagle. I actually like everything about it more than the Viper Gen 2, including the price. The only thing that shot it in the foot was the fact that the zero stop limits you ~+47MOA & -0.5?MOA from zero. @FuhQ @b6graham

I could bottom the elevation turret out with my MOA inserts for my scope rings (XTR Sig 3 Rings) and have a "zero stop". But, then I have to drop $150 on 34mm rings. Being that the Strike Eagle is only $100 cheaper from EuroOptic, I decided it'd make more sense to get the better glass, than put that money towards rings.
Seriously, I’ll get flack for this, but look into the Arken EP5. It’s cheap, but it tracks better than my Viper Gen1’s do. The glass is also as good as the Viper Gen2. I’m not shilling, I’m just telling facts. Truth hurts sometimes, and I own German and Austrian glass, so I know quality. While the glass is nowhere near that level, it is absolutely on point with the PST Gen2 for half the price. The tracking is better than my Viper Gen 1’s, and the turrets and ZS are great. 34mm tube. Tons of elevation travel. For a budget optic, give it a look.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01

I was pretty sure my 5-25 had 20mils of usable elevation, will is enough to take a 22lr out to 300m and any decent centerfire well past 1000m.
If you have Burris Signature rings then you can tweak to get the most elevation possible.

Just go for the PST for $670, it used to be a good scope at $900 at $670 its an excellent buy.

The Vortex Strike Eagle brings some nice things to the table that the Arken doesn’t. But are they worth $699 vs. $549 for the EP5? Not in my opinion. I own both scopes, so I’m not comparing things i’m unfamiliar with.

Last edited:
Between a mate and I we have had 10 PSTs and only one has had issues.
It was one I bought used so could've been bad from the factory or failed in service, don't know.

Between the PST G2 and Ares BTR without a doubt go for the PST glass is a lot better, FOV is better, just feels like a nicer scope over all.
Keep aside the money you saved and put it towards a XTR3i if you want to upgrade later on.
Agreed. I was in the same spot a while back and found this very good comparison between the PST G2 and Ares BTR and decided to go with the Vortex and am very glad I did. Read and decide for yourself: https://rifles-scopes-expert.co.uk/...nsider that Athlon costs more than the Vortex.

I dont use the zero stop.

Use 40moa cant on my 22 and have like 7 mil below zero.

I can use 60moa cant on a SE no problem

Reactions: Rob01
Suggestions Must Meet The Following Requirements:
  • MOA b/c my spotter won't change all his scopes, and I don't mind it.
  • FFP
  • Lifetime Warranty, apparently no one is on par with Vortex lol. So just lifetime is fine.
  • Zero Stop that does not limit you in the +elevation once you use it. i.e. no Vortex Scopes w/ their RevStop system.
  • Turrets with the zero and 1st rotation labeled. i.e. (0MOA - 25MOA) + (26MOA - 50MOA) on a 25MOA per rotation scope.
  • 24x Max. Magnification, at least.
  • 50mm+ Objective
  • For 30mm Scope Tubes: (Under $1200)
  • For 34mm Scope Tubes: (Under $1,000) lower b/c then I have to buy $150 Burris rings.
  • Greater than or equal to the DiamondBack glass.
  • 85+ MOA Elevation (I'm not sure if any 30mm tubes will have this, so I'm interested to see. If it only has 70MOA like the Viper I'll give it a look.)
Upgrading from the DiamondBack.

Currently looking at the Viper PST Gen 2 and only real complaint is price and the 70MOA elevation adjustment. So, I was really hoping you guys might chime in and recommend something better before I pull the trigger.

MOST CONSIDERED SUGGESTIONS AS OF 04/02/22:
  1. Viper PST Gen II w/ EBR-2C Reticle from EuroOptic $670
  2. Burris XTR III w/ SCR 2 MIL reticle from CameraLandNY $1099
  3. Arken EP5 $565
  4. Athlon Ares ETR $1250
  5. Athlon Ares BTR $870
  6. US Optics TS 5-25x50 EuroOptic $579
  7. Vortex Strike Eagle $800
MY CHOICE: Viper PST Gen II w/ EBR-2C reticle. $670 was just too good to turn down.
HONORABLE MENTION: Burris XTR III w/ *SCR 2 MIL RETICLE*

Thanks you for all the suggestions everyone!
Have you looked at the 40mm tube IOR Valdada scopes?

I am late to this thread and I see that the original poster already made his purchase. Honestly, it is hard to beat PST Gen2 for under $700, so I think he made the right choice.

He generally had a pretty good list there in the first post. If starting over, I would probably add Element Titan 5-25x56 to the list.

I've had pretty good luck with the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56, so that's a good option as well, although the zero stop there limits you to two turns.

As far as image quality in the $1k range, the scope that does not quite get a lot of mileage, but really should is Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56. It is not ideal for MOA shooters though.

ILya