• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for a smith to Pillar Bed my Savage 93R17

ebnash

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
I have a stainless 93R17 barreled action mounted in a Sharp Shooter Supply MTR Laminated stock. I really love the stock, but the action mounting/support leaves a lot to be desired. I know they offer pillar bedding services, but they seem to have a poor rating for customer service in the gun world. I had no problems when I ordered the stock and the heavy bottom metal years back, but I am leery about sending my rifle to them.

I'm open to suggestions for a smith who can do this work. Someone who has done similar work for you, maybe. The open area in the stock has to be built up in order to even install a pillar, so this is an involved job. This gun has always shot terrible and it's the only left to try to improve the performance. Otherwise, it's scrap to me...

Thanks

Reactions: aljones_315
I have a stainless 93R17 barreled action mounted in a Sharp Shooter Supply MTR Laminated stock. I really love the stock, but the action mounting/support leaves a lot to be desired. I know they offer pillar bedding services, but they seem to have a poor rating for customer service in the gun world. I had no problems when I ordered the stock and the heavy bottom metal years back, but I am leery about sending my rifle to them.

I'm open to suggestions for a smith who can do this work. Someone who has done similar work for you, maybe. The open area in the stock has to be built up in order to even install a pillar, so this is an involved job. This gun has always shot terrible and it's the only left to try to improve the performance. Otherwise, it's scrap to me...

Thanks

I did my own, wasn't too difficult.

I did my own, wasn't too difficult.

Wanna do mine? :p

I just don't know if I have the patience to do this right. Did you buy pillars and cut them to size to mate up with the pillars already on the action? Then just completely damn them in with a ton of epoxy? I looked at a couple write ups on these, but just don't really absorb and learn things without seeing them in person... I have skim bedded 10-22 actions and a ton of scope bases, but never any pillar work.

Wanna do mine? :p

I just don't know if I have the patience to do this right. Did you buy pillars and cut them to size to mate up with the pillars already on the action? Then just completely damn them in with a ton of epoxy? I looked at a couple write ups on these, but just don't really absorb and learn things without seeing them in person... I have skim bedded 10-22 actions and a ton of scope bases, but never any pillar work.

I bedded mine in a leopard stock that didn't have pillars. Made them from brass fittings in the pulmbing dept at HD. There's a thread on Rimfire Central, I'll see if I can find it. I used a drill press to make room for the pillar and devcon to hold them in place.

Yes, I have looked at this a few times. The OP has a lathe and made his own. Still not overly confident on this and now wishing I had kept the original laminated stock to practice on. Perhaps if I get desperate enough, I'll give it a shot.

Out of curiosity, did you also to the skim bedding around the top of the stock, or just the pillars?

Thanks for the responses

Yes, I have looked at this a few times. The OP has a lathe and made his own. Still not overly confident on this and now wishing I had kept the original laminated stock to practice on. Perhaps if I get desperate enough, I'll give it a shot.

Out of curiosity, did you also to the skim bedding around the top of the stock, or just the pillars?

Thanks for the responses

I skim bedded it too, I don't have a lathe, just a harbor freight drill press, and a dremel, I chucked the brass pieces in the drill press and used a file to get the diameter on the bases that I wanted. I added the same pillars to bed 10/22's in raptor stocks I built for my nephews too. Take your time and you should be fine. I like doing DIY stuff and don't worry too much as you can fix most mistakes.

If you are comfortable with disassembly and want to send it up to Alaska I do offer pillar bedding in house.

I do approximately 5 to 10 a month. I would want to know a little more information.

The reason I saw comfortable with disassembly is, you can fit in a smaller box if you remove the stock from the barreled action for shipping.

Usually if someone is sending up from out of state they are getting multiple things done; pillar bed, coating, engraving, bolt modification ect.