• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Looking for a tent

jolofree

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Sooner Nation
I need a good used, not too much $$, 4-6 person tent to try to take the kids camping a couple times, maybe more if they like it,
but No electronic toys, they may mutiny on me, this fall. Trying to get them off the couch & out of the house.
If you have a decent one that you aren't using. Please let me know what you have.
Thanks, jf

I don't have anything to sell you, but The North Face Wawona ($399) and REI Kingdom 6 ($499) are the best family tents that you won't hate sleeping in and have the best chance of recouping most of your money if you or your kids decide they hate camping. Prices are MSRP so you could probably get a better deal on TNF if you shopped around.

Backpacking or car camping?

If weight isn’t an issue and weather not a concern any cheap Coleman or knockoff from Walmart will be fine. I still remember when my folks put me and the cousins in a Coleman in the back yard over Memorial Day weekend and 8” of snow collapsed the damn thing with us inside....camping is for shitty experiences as a kid and good stories to tell later.

I have a used/good Soldier Crew Tent (10'x10') as per the link below. I bought it from a MILSURP tent dealer on years ago and never used it. It has been kept in my air-conditioned storage bldg. If you are handy to central Louisiana I would sell for $400.00 or maybe trade for something. I also have NIB HUNTER Military Stoves - PM if interested . . . .

you can see them on Ebay as well . . . .Cheers !

Check out the Kodak Canvas flexbox tents. Super easy to setup and a killer family camping tent in my opinion

I hav had great results with my Eureka Timberline 6 Outfitters tent. Really good for 2 people on wk long Turkey camp

If this is just a trial run try to find a used tent on craigslist or Facebook ect. If you want something that will last look into a canvas tent. We upgraded from a REI kingdom 8 to a Kodiak canvas 10x14 flexbow. The difference is massive! The flexbow is easier to setup, Doesn’t blow around in the wind, able to run a heater or stove for cold weather, better zippers. Our rei kingdom did not hold up well. Has lasted 4 years. Main arch poles are bent, the pole sleeves are torn in multiple spots, and the pole end anchor tore out during mild/medium winds. That was the final straw to upgrade to the Kodiak canvas tent.

OK, yes it's just a try it for a couple days for now. I really like the looks of the Soldier Crew Tent EdO suggested but for the price $$$
I'm still looking. Thanks all, j

How many kids? How old? Is the tent just for sleeping?

I still have our Columbia 4man that I bought when my oldest was only a couple years old. Probably 14years old now. The tent still in good shape, but we are finally outgrowing it as there are 5 of us now. It wasn't a very expensive tent to start, so in the 100 or so nights we've used it, I'm guessing we got our money out of it.

Whatever you get leave a permanent marker in the inside pocket. Every night we camp we add the date, location and people.

I really like the looks of the kodiak flexbow, other then its made in China.

There is also the original flexbow style still made in America, it’s called springbar