• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for a used lathe and mi

I found my Logan lathe on Craigslist. You could also try auctions like westauction as they have Bridgeport mills up now and then.

Checkout Facebook marketplace if you’re on there and craigslist. If you get any heavy equipment, the $80 to rent a drop deck trailer is money well spent if you don’t have a big tractor/forklift to lift the machine at home.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
TX is apparently a bad area for used equipment. In the Midwest there are always shops going out of business or upgrading equipment. It's a long drive but normally lots available. 99% of the shops run CNC now so Bridgeports and manual lathes are totally obsolete to them. There are many outfits that buy up equipment/overhaul and re sell. Many have very large inventories. Google is your friend.

If you are buying used equipment, have an EXPERIENCED machinist with you, to inspect the equipment. Factors like WEAR and Missing Parts can make a "steal" end up being an expensive boat anchor. A lot of used equipment is retired because it has worn ways and travels/dovetails. Run through all the gears (under power), to make sure you have no gears with broken teeth. Finding replacement gears for some older equipment can be tough.

Know in advance what is the largest piece of work you will do. A lathe with a 20 inch travel, will not machine a 16 inch barrel without a lot of fuss. You will want to make sure the hole through the spindle of the lathe is large enough to accommodate the largest diameter of metal you will be working and supporting with a "spider". A lathe with a 5 inch chuck, will typically not grasp an item which is 5 inches around. Milling machines can have similar limitations.

Consider visiting the kind folks at hobby-machinist dot com, as they even have a gunsmithing section on their site. It is a great source for basic information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Memberberries
Next is the question of power, lots of used machine shop equipment is 3 phase and higher voltage so don't expect to plug these things into a regular wall outlet.

Craigslist and Facebook marketplace have some equipment on them but a lot of it is ratty old stuff that needs overhauled(a job in itself) so make sure you either bring a machinist or learn what you're looking at before you buy one. Looks like there's a couple good lathes for $3500 on Craigslist in Houston.

That would make a good garage lathe

That would be a good garage mill.

Let me add that I'm not affiliated with either of these. I'm basing my statements of them being "good" off a quick read of the Craigslist ad and they should be evaluated by someone who knows what they're looking at prior to purchase. Also I'm not local to Houston so I can't be of help to you in the inspection but you could easily find a mom and pop machine shop and offer them $100 to inspect a machine for your garage prior to buying.

I didn't post that picture here...lol

Last edited:
Ebay has some companies that resell industrial equipment, also. 20 years ago I was thinking about the same, but I couldn't tell good old equipment from bad, so I ended up buying a Grizzly 12x36 lathe and tabletop mill. They've been great.

Now, I might try to find an old Heavy 10 and Bridgeport. Still might not see a problem on the old equipment, but I'm pretty confident I could figure out how to fix almost anything other than worn ways.

I've been through this and bought a new lathe. I spent more on tooling then I did on the lathe.
Understand, this is a considerable investment.
There are some bench top lathes that can do the job, if you're talking a couple of barrels a year.
The advantage is they are easier to ship and set up.

Reactions: rady and Superjet
As mentioned above, it's a slippery slope. Before you know it, you've got 5 machines in the garage, no room for cars, and $300 worth of gadgets from McMaster Carr showing up every week.