• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a Waterproof Snow Pant

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I'm looking for some waterproof snow camo/white pants for coyote hunting in the winter. I've got a pair of UA white camo pants I love, but after sitting in the snow for a few stands, my ass starts to get wet and makes the rest of the day uncomfortable.
I'm thinking of a ski/snowboard or snowmobile pant, but can't seem to find any good white or camo ones. Everything seems to be bright colors nowadays in those styles.
Any one have something that works well?

I usually just sit on one of those heat a seat pads. A trash bag works too. If you don’t want to carry extra stuff, most of the first lite pants have a waterproof butt

Cheap fix. Put a trash bag over your bottom prior to pulling on outerwear.

I use Tyvek painter suits in the snow. Wind/waterproof. Cheap enough that I don't care if I fuck them up. Carry a couple pairs all the time.
Be sure to take them out and wrinkle them up real good several times before you actually use them. They are large enough to EASILY fit over all your warm stuff.
I usually use some Krylon and make brown, black and green stripes here and there on them, too, but my bud just takes them out and rubs them in the mud/dirt.

These guys have a whole line of snow camo stuff. Added bonus...Made in the USA! Definitely a buy once, cry once type deal, but no worse than Sitka or the like. If it were me, I would get the insulated pant and then run the waterproof over it. Add the down jacket and shell and you are good to go. You will only need to shoot and skin about 200 coyotes to break even...

Reactions: CShooter92
Thanks for some of the suggestions so far. I've tried the trash bag before and it's either too noisy, or it moves too much. Don't really want to haul carpet in to some stands because I hike in 1/2 mile sometimes.
99% of my coyote hunting is done in -10 to -20 deg. temps and a foot or more of snow so I need some sort of insulation. I've also used a cover up pant over black ski pants before, but I find it often slips and they're around my ankles eventually.

Reactions: Aftermath
I sit on a small foam pad I made.

Keeps me dry and warm.

Literally a pad and some duct tape.
Slips into a pack easy.
Just big enough for my butt.
I carry it on my mtn hunts too. Nice to sit on for glassing.

Plus makes a nice perch for the fuel can of my light stove for late AM coffee if its deep snow. 😎

Thanks for some of the suggestions so far. I've tried the trash bag before and it's either too noisy, or it moves too much. Don't really want to haul carpet in to some stands because I hike in 1/2 mile sometimes.
99% of my coyote hunting is done in -10 to -20 deg. temps and a foot or more of snow so I need some sort of insulation. I've also used a cover up pant over black ski pants before, but I find it often slips and they're around my ankles eventually.
Yeah, that slipping thing is why I like to use the full body painter suit with a hood. I can wear whatever I want for insulation under, go get as dirty/muddy/bloody as I need to and then just take it off when I get back to the truck. My clothes are still pretty clean so I don't get the crud inside my truck.

I have a huge pile of Kuiu and a bunch of Sitka and a bunch of Cabela's stuff along with random pieces of all sorts of brands. But for going out after coyotes where I am likely as not to be laying down against some tufts of grass in a fence line and such, the Tyvek works great. Of course, it does work best with snow all around but I've worn the whites in the fall before the snow and it still seems to work..like the coyotes think, oh, it snowed over there.

It may not be Gucci or DKNY enough for lots of guys but it's very effective.

I use Tyvek painter suits in the snow. Wind/waterproof. Cheap enough that I don't care if I fuck them up. Carry a couple pairs all the time.
Be sure to take them out and wrinkle them up real good several times before you actually use them. They are large enough to EASILY fit over all your warm stuff.
I usually use some Krylon and make brown, black and green stripes here and there on them, too, but my bud just takes them out and rubs them in the mud/dirt.
Great idea.!!!
Hows the noise with them?

Reactions: Sogan
Great idea.!!!
Hows the noise with them?
Like I said, I prefer to wad and wrinkle them up real good a few times prior to taking a walk in them. And I usually do some ghetto Krylon cammo just to break up the hard outline. But, really, I usually don't try to be real sneaky walking into a set. I try to get there, get set up and then I usually wait about 30 minutes before I use a call.

We've even taken some white sheets with us to use as a cover and laid down in the middle of a hillside in real plain view (I'm talking about the side where the snow isn't) and had the coyotes come right on in. I think a non-threatening scent or no scent and lack of movement are more important. But, also, if you do get a couple of dogs to come in to your call, if you don't smoke them, they will NEVER come to that call again. If we are not absolutely sure of the shot (and yeah, even that isn't 100%), we will let them snoop around and then wander off instead of taking a marginal shot only to have a real tough time hunting that one (and all the ones he teaches) again.

There was one, and we don't know how, that had a big patch of bright yellow paint on him. We called him in and then, confused, didn't even shoot at him. On the walk back to the truck and on the drive home, we decided we would come back in 2-3 days and try again and shoot him. We did and my bud got him in the neck, instant kill, with his 22-250. We still don't know how he got yellow paint all over him....ol' yeller...pretty big female. Like a latex house paint and real thick on the neck and back. But I am pretty sure that if we had spooked him earlier, we would not have seen that coyote again. Ok...proofreading...not going back to change him to her. I call most them "him" no matter how they identify. They are fucking coyotes that fuck with the new born calves. Ol' Yeller was a pretty big female. We would rather shoot the females to thin the population but rarely pass on a shot at any coyote.

But, yeah, wrinkle them up, toss them in a dryer with no heat and a pair of tennis shoes. It does make the Tyvek more quiet. My bud just takes them out of the package, wipes them on his truck or on the ground some and then puts them on. One pair can last an entire winter if you are halfway careful but a barbed wire fence will make short work of a pair, too. No biggy, $10. I think I even saw a 12 pack for less than $100.

Do get the tyvek ones, the others we tried were some sort of cheese cloth or something that were far too delicate (you could sorta see through them) and some had some sort of plastic coating that made you sweat. The Tyvek stuff is the way to go.