• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for advice for a ELR?

DirtyMuzzie

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Hey fellas, I'm looking for some scope recommendations. It's been a few years and I really want to learn and get into ELR shooting. Here's what I'm looking fo:

• What is the platform for the scope? Bolt action RPR
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .338 Lapua
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Target as primary use.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Day time, most weather conditions. Occasional low light, but not often.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 500-2000+ yrds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, 56mm but unsure of the magnification.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Depends if my wife finds out 👀... about $2-3K could go more but, but that ammo $ 😱
My prior rifle was a RPR in .308 we got dialed in on a 1x2" plate at 800 yards with a Vortex Viper PST gen II 5-25x50 FFP. There's a 2,000 yard range an hour from me and we'll be taking a couple long range shooting classes there as well and joining as memebers, so I will soon have easy access to 2,000 yards. I'd be interested in finding a longer range in time when we hopefully max out the range at some point.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! Looking forward to getting back out there!!!

NF 7-35, 5-25 will work. But everyone has their opinions. Just a start! Someone else I imagine will chime in.

Reactions: DirtyMuzzie
I use an athlon Cronus for my 338 with a 45 moa rail

Anything in that category and above you’ll be happy with.
Gen 2 razor
Elite bushy’s
Atacr
Leupy Mk5
Xtr 3

Probably want to investigate a 40 moa or more rail or a adjustable base

Thanks for the input. I think I'll wait to see if they have any black Friday deals coming up, but idk if they have them for these types of scopes?

Thanks for the input. I think I'll wait to see if they have any black Friday deals coming up, but idk if they have them for these types of scopes?
You can try to call/email the big distributors and see if they have any demo models for sale. Might save you a few hundo off the top. If you’re a Vet/Mil/first responder most usually offer discounts.

Last edited:
Went with the 4.5x27x56mm Razor HD, which arrives Wednesday. Going to get her dialed in the day after Thanksgiving, and then take the two long range classes.

Picked up a Vortex Extended Cantilever 20 MOA and test mounted for eye relief. Will blue loctite her in tomorrow when sober 👀. The reloading gear is arriving piecemeal, and I want no more than 8 FPS variation. We'll see. We signed up for the first long range rifle course, and I couldn't be more psyched about it. I'll be sighting the RPR in this Friday. Have a blessed Thanksgiving compatriots!

Attachments

• 20211120_220051.jpg
    20211120_220051.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20211120_220133.jpg
    20211120_220133.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211120_220025.jpg
    20211120_220025.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Rob01