• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for advice on 1903A3 (new buyer)

dmike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Northern VA
Some time around 1997 I put a few rounds through my buddy's 1903A3, I think we had a milk jug at 300 yards and I was shocked when I hit it on the first shot. That made an impression on me. I've thought about them from time to time since then, but when I wanted to buy vintage I went with the cheaper K31 and Mosin.

I saw a consignment yesterday at my LGS, asking $700 and I thought "I've been thinking about these for almost 20 years I should either get one or not."

I just don't know anything about what to watch out for. Totally clueless about these rifles. Seems like there are fakes, mods, restorations etc that can shift the value a lot. Aim Surplus has refurbs for 795 but with a new barrel is it still vintage? I'm not looking to have a certificate of authenticity framed on the wall below it, just want something I can pass on to my kid but if I'm going to start upgrading with new parts I can get a Remington 700 that's lighter and shoots better for $500. Or am I missing the point? Are people okay with replicas just to preserve the look and feel of an old classic?

Barrel is marked 43 and the serial number 390XXXX seems to be from around the same time from what I find online. The rifle looks good to me but I don't know what it's supposed to look like. Maybe a little too good for 70 years old, I'm nowhere near that and I look like hell.

If I get one I just want to pay a fair price and have it hold its value. I'd like it to shoot reasonably well, whatever that means for these rifles, but I won't be competing with it. Hitting a milk jug at 300 with an awesome piece of American history would be cool.

Thanks for any advice or insight you guys have.

Attachments

• 20140411_200229.jpg
    20140411_200229.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 36
  • 20140411_200254.jpg
    20140411_200254.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20140411_200323.jpg
    20140411_200323.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 37
  • SN1.jpg
    SN1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 37
Find a knowledgeable collector who could help you vett a rifle. Look for one with a C stock which is a little more forgiving on the recoil when you shoot. It will be pricey and not original but they are out there. 03A3 is the way to go as the sight radius is better than an 03.

I got one about the time you were shooting the jug and got an 03A3 with a Lyman 48 match sight at a farm auction for $250. I was told it might have come from the NRA or possibly a DCM rifle but no way to tell. The CMP couldn't find anything on it. The two groove rifling really shoots nice and for some reason it likes 168 Amax. I won't part with it. It goes to the range in an old paratrooper canvas and wool jump case.

Good luck with the search.

I got one about the time you were shooting the jug and got an 03A3 with a Lyman 48 match sight at a farm auction for $250. I was told it might have come from the NRA or possibly a DCM rifle but no way to tell. The CMP couldn't find anything on it. The two groove rifling really shoots nice and for some reason it likes 168 Amax. I won't part with it. It goes to the range in an old paratrooper canvas and wool jump case.

Yep...that's the kind of feeling I was looking for in one. thanks for the info

If the bore looks good and there are no obvious problems with that Remington, I would buy it. Try to get it for a bit less but it is worth about what they are asking. The sling may add another $100, if original. That rifle went through Ogden Arsenal and has seem some rebuilding. The bolt and the bands were originally blue along with some other small parts. I think there is a good chance you found what you are looking for. Good luck.

Find a knowledgeable collector who could help you vett a rifle. Look for one with a C stock which is a little more forgiving on the recoil when you shoot. It will be pricey and not original but they are out there. 03A3 is the way to go as the sight radius is better than an 03.

Good luck with the search.

The military tried to build a DCM/NRA match 1903A3 rifle but the sight interfered with the clip slot and the rifle was pretty useless for rapid fire. They never fully adopted the 03A3 for competition. The actual military competition A3's are extremely rare and no one can say for sure if one has ever been documented as legit. The 03 was the rifle until the issues necessary to make the Garand a match rifle were sorted out. When an 03A3 was used in competition it was typically used in its as issued form. Civilians added different sights to the rifle that would work with the clip slot.

If you go over to the 1903 section on a forum like Culvers Shooting Page you can ask for a Springfield Research Service check on your rifle. The SRS compiled a series of books that document the historical record of old rifle serial numbers. Most are 1903 but they also include some 1911, Garand and other rifle info.

If you go over to the 1903 section on a forum like Culvers Shooting Page you can ask for a Springfield Research Service check on your rifle. The SRS compiled a series of books that document the historical record of old rifle serial numbers. Most are 1903 but they also include some 1911, Garand and other rifle info.

Good info as always from you Sir...thanks

If the bore looks good and there are no obvious problems with that Remington, I would buy it. Try to get it for a bit less but it is worth about what they are asking. The sling may add another $100, if original. That rifle went through Ogden Arsenal and has seem some rebuilding. The bolt and the bands were originally blue along with some other small parts. I think there is a good chance you found what you are looking for. Good luck.

Appreciate the info...so OG means it came from Ogden? And someone did some refinishing?

Appreciate the info...so OG means it came from Ogden? And someone did some refinishing?

Ogden rebuilt the rifle, or at least did a complete check out. Either Oden refinished some of the metal parts, of another arsenal(sometimes these were rebuilt more than once) or somebody else refinished and/or replaced some of the parts. From the looks of what I can see the rifle is worth a serious look and probable purchase IMO.

The AIM rifles are reclaimed drill rifles to the best of my knowledge. Such a rifle will not hold its value or be as desirable, as an original military issued rifle.

From the few pics posted that rifle looks to be in very good condition. So far it looks like an Ogden arsenal re-inspection, not a rebuild. A few more pics to help evaluate it would be nice though.

Look on Gunbroker to see how much beat up 03A3s are going for... Of course those prices are usually at the top end of everything! The beauty here is you get a really good look at it before you buy it. Check the bore & muzzle crown. No pitting or corrosion or wear & nicks and you should be good to go.

Offhand I'd say you won't get hurt buying it at $700. Nice find. B

The Ogden cartouche looks sharp the P cartouche less so. Probably wear from use. Imo it was reworked by OG as others have said but the sharp oG cartouche tells me it wasn't messed with afterwards. If the bore checks out then i'd buy out.

From the few pics posted that rifle looks to be in very good condition. So far it looks like an Ogden arsenal re-inspection, not a rebuild.

Scant stock with a non-circled proof stamp is a rebuild. May have simply been a stock swap, but the rifle is not 100% original as built.

Consistent with post 4 and 8, the gun has had some refinishing/rebuilding/rearsenal work, or even joe blow alterations??. The bolt and bands were originally blue. They are not now. I have said from the get go it has has some rearsenal refinishing and alterations. It still remains a good potential buy.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the experience and insight. I will try to get some more pics and check out the bore/crown.