• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for advice on 700 recoil lug...

ShooterwithNoName

Regular Guy
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2012
Central WV
I just got a new "to me" McMillan stock that I'm getting ready to build on. I'm shopping recoil lugs, it will be on a blueprinted 700 action, NSS Criterion Remage 308 barrel, 20-22" length all in Chrome Moly.

I was looking through recoil lugs and have a question I hoped you guys that have built more rifles than I could maybe give some advice?

I'm trying to make this rifle as tough as possible. Something I'll be using quite a bit and getting bumped around in the woods. I always liked the idea of the MK13 style recoil lug. I found a company that makes one really similar, Crabtree is the company and this is the recoil lug:
001 (3) Lug.jpeg

Does this type of lug add strength significant enough to matter? Or am I just as well to use pillars, an oversize lug and glass bed? If I went with this lug I would still use a rear pillar and glass bed the action. Just curious, I want the rifle to be as tough as possible. A field rifle more so than a full on match rifle.

Thanks...

Never seen that before, stock would have to be inletted for that setup. Would it make a difference? No idea, a good quality .250” tapered lug would be just fine though.

That looks like a headache in the making. Like everyone else said just go with a over sized lug.

No need for that lug vs standard.
Also if receiver is blue printed you need to verify threads on receiver. There is no "STANDARD"

I just got a new "to me" McMillan stock that I'm getting ready to build on. I'm shopping recoil lugs, it will be on a blueprinted 700 action, NSS Criterion Remage 308 barrel, 20-22" length all in Chrome Moly.

I was looking through recoil lugs and have a question I hoped you guys that have built more rifles than I could maybe give some advice?

I'm trying to make this rifle as tough as possible. Something I'll be using quite a bit and getting bumped around in the woods. I always liked the idea of the MK13 style recoil lug. I found a company that makes one really similar, Crabtree is the company and this is the recoil lug:
View attachment 7272575

Does this type of lug add strength significant enough to matter? Or am I just as well to use pillars, an oversize lug and glass bed? If I went with this lug I would still use a rear pillar and glass bed the action. Just curious, I want the rifle to be as tough as possible. A field rifle more so than a full on match rifle.

Thanks...

I've been on this site since around 2007. I've seen hundreds of recoil lugs that looked as though someone robbed a tombstone from a graveyard. What I've never seen is a photo of a lug that has failed or a rifle that has conclusively improved its performance after installing one. A 1/4" thick recoil lug the size of an M700 is more than adequate for 99.9% of the rifles owned and shot by people today.

Engineers do exist and a lot of them are very smart people. If your shoulder/body can manage the "thump" then I have to think that a slab of heat-treated steel can too.

EDIT:

Tikka has become a well-pursued product these days. The recoil management setup they have pails in comparison to most of the popular actions made here in the US. Has there ever been a post on a forum anywhere about one failing? I make a conversion lug for it only because I had a mob of people beating down my door asking for it. Well sell them but in truth all it does is complicate a very simple/elegant product.

Good deal, that seems to be the general consensus on them. Simplicity most likely wins out here. I appreciate all the replies. I was just kind luxurious about it.

So I just ordered Mcmillan pillars for it and plan to bed it following their method:

I appreciate the advice guys, my original plan was to use a NSS .250" lug. This is the first stock I've had that didn't have pre-installed pillars or a block. I'm doing a little research on whether to bed the pillars first or pillars, action and bottom metal all at once.

Since I'm already on the topic of bedding, I have one more question...

Since I'm going to be running a Remage barrel nut, I'm assuming that won't be bedding the first couple inches of the barrel due to the barrel nut?

I am guessing trying to bed that barrel nut would prove difficult if not impossible. Unless I go with a smooth barrel nut? I would like to be able to pull the action and then the barrel if need be.

So bedding the Remage means only bedding to the recoil lug?

Yup.
A "solution" in search of a problem that doesn't exist for most applications.
I could see this (just as I could a cross-bolt) for an extremely heavy recoiling rifle, like a big-bore, big game rifle where it's beneficial to add some reinforcement beyond a typical lug setup.