• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for advice on a cleaning rod.

ck1a

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2021
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
So, I have a basic brass 3 piece cleaning rod, and want to upgrade for my 300 prc. I've see good things about Bore Tech, Tipton and J Dewey. And there may be others. What rod do you guys use and recommend. And of course, if there is a reason NOT to get one of these, please advise that also.

Reactions: rottenruger
I use the Bore Tech and it works really good, I think any of the three you mentioned will work fine, just make sure you have a good bore guide for the specific caliber you are cleaning. There are a lot of threads on here on cleaning rods and bore guides.

I worked in a small local gun store in high school (20 years ago), and we used J.Dewey 1-piece coated fiberglass rods to clean customer guns. I bought one back then, and have had it ever since. I also have 2 Pro-Shot stainless 1-piece rods, and they work amazing as well. Can't go wrong with either one. They're not cheap, but well worth the money. You'll never go back to a multi-piece again. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: lariat
I run the tipton carbon fibre rods. I dont have much experience with other one piece rods but I havent had a single complaint about the tiptons

I like the BoreTech rods with the non brass tips. You couldn’t go wrong with any of the other favorites though.

Reactions: DustBun
So, I have a basic brass 3 piece cleaning rod, and want to upgrade for my 300 prc. I've see good things about Bore Tech, Tipton and J Dewey. And there may be others. What rod do you guys use and recommend. And of course, if there is a reason NOT to get one of these, please advise that also.
I'm very happy with the Bore Tech rods, I would not use your 3 pc brass rod in anything other than a shotgun barrel, and either of the three brands you mentioned will be excellent.

I have one Montana Xtreme and three Boretech rods. Boretech is better in my opinion. Bearings in the handle spin better.

Reactions: Baron23
I use Dewey. But they do bow a bit. I don’t worry about it since the CF isn’t steel. I haven’t seen any issues.

Boretech from .223 to .30 cal. Be sure to pick up some proof positive jags as well. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the recommended 1pc rods above either.

all my cleaning rods are 1 piece Stainless steel....the brand or whether it has a swivel grip or not are not important.

the CF ones are ok.....ive just broken more than a few of them.....so i dont fuck with them now.

Reactions: kthomas
all my cleaning rods are 1 piece Stainless steel....the brand or whether it has a swivel grip or not are not important.

the CF ones are ok.....ive just broken more than a few of them.....so i dont fuck with them now.
How did that happen do you think? Genuinely curious, not insinuating anything.

How did that happen do you think? Genuinely curious, not insinuating anything.
...more than likely because im a ham fisted gorilla ....

they all cracked right at the tip where the threaded ferrule mates to the CF rod....the material has to thin down there so naturally its a weak spot.....

im not known for being gentle with my shit....so being thrown in gear bags, or ramming through tight patches....over time it takes its toll.

Capture.PNG

I use a Dewey but it has more flex than I would like.

Going to switch over to a Boretech and see if its better

Think I'll go with the Bore Tech this go round. Thanks for all the input!

Its a good choice I have pro shot rods. If I were starting over I would go with boretech everything they make some nice stuff. I got some of their proof positive jags and they work great.

For rimfire, Stiller one piece rods are the best, as long as you use a proper bore guide

Its a good choice I have pro shot rods. If I were starting over I would go with boretech everything they make some nice stuff. I got some of their proof positive jags and they work great.

I went from Boretech to Pro Shot.

While bore techs are nice, any abrasion can and will start to strip the coating off. I've since moved on to non-coated polishes stainless steel rods, polished stainless steel will not damage your barrel.

I use the Bore Tech and it works really good, I think any of the three you mentioned will work fine, just make sure you have a good bore guide for the specific caliber you are cleaning. There are a lot of threads on here on cleaning rods and bore guides.
Agreed. I love the Bore Tech rod I have, go with the proof positive

Something to be aware of if one likes TM Solvent for bore cleaning is that Dewey says it attacks their coatings and therefore shouldn't be used with their coated rods.

For thorough cleaning at home I use a guide and the Tipton Carbon Fiber one piece cleaning rods for handguns, rifles (.22 cal and 7mm) and shotguns. In the field kit I have the appropriate 'Bore Snake'. I also carry a less than .22 cal. sized dowel in my rifle case in the event that a case needs to be persuaded out of the chamber.

...more than likely because im a ham fisted gorilla ....

they all cracked right at the tip where the threaded ferrule mates to the CF rod....the material has to thin down there so naturally its a weak spot.....

im not known for being gentle with my shit....so being thrown in gear bags, or ramming through tight patches....over time it takes its toll.

View attachment 7569592
Ahh funny you should sat that. I noticed a split in my one piece carbon fiber rod. I pushed hard on a patch. Still ok but...

Tipton carbon fiber, one piece design. I once had the brass end come off, I called Tipton and explained the problem, they sent me a replacement straight away.

For thorough cleaning at home I use a guide and the Tipton Carbon Fiber one piece cleaning rods for handguns, rifles (.22 cal and 7mm) and shotguns. In the field kit I have the appropriate 'Bore Snake'. I also carry a less than .22 cal. sized dowel in my rifle case in the event that a case needs to be persuaded out of the chamber.
Get a feild cleaning kit like what mpro7 offers. Bore snakes are horrible for rifles, especially precision rifles.

Reactions: Frank Green
I have a Dewey, never worked with the others. The Dewey is a dream and I've been completely satisfied with it.

Bore Tech. I've tried Dewey and others, but Bore Tech was the best. You should also look at Bore Techs jags. They don't use brass in their jags so when cleaning copper out if your barrel you don't get false positives.

I have own and used Tipton Dewey and Boretech they are all very good I prefer and now only use Boretech the main benefit is no false positives for copper in the barrel

Reactions: ck1a
I made this same decision last year and decided to go with Boretech as I was going to order their cleaning products anyway. Impressed with both the rods I got and their products.

Reactions: rxmatt and ck1a
The boretech rods may be great but their bore guides suck IMO. The concept of the patch stabber and captive chemical port is great, but it leaks all over your stock. So it’s basically a fancy patch stabber gizmo that doesn’t keep cleaning chemicals off your stock.

Reactions: ck1a
The boretech rods may be great but their bore guides suck IMO. The concept of the patch stabber and captive chemical port is great, but it leaks all over your stock. So it’s basically a fancy patch stabber gizmo that doesn’t keep cleaning chemicals off your stock.
I haven't found one that effectively protects the stock yet. I have two from Creedmoor Sports that work as well as any, but I don't depend on them to protect my stock. A towel does that.

I haven't found one that effectively protects the stock yet. I have two from Creedmoor Sports that work as well as any, but I don't depend on them to protect my stock. A towel does that.

The problem is that particular boretech model is specifically designed to do just that, keep fluids off the stock. It’s actually worse than every other design with a simple solvent port in my opinion, even if I have to stab my own patches before they go in the bore guide (no biggie there).

Pick a good stainless steel rod. There was a really smart metallurgist that made a post here several years ago, espousing the benefits of ss vs coated rods. After reading that, I ditched my coated rods for stainless rods.

I like female tipped rods and male tipped brushes and jags.....no little pain in the ass adapters.

Pick a good stainless steel rod. There was a really smart metallurgist that made a post here several years ago, espousing the benefits of ss vs coated rods. After reading that, I ditched my coated rods for stainless rods.

I like female tipped rods and male tipped brushes and jags.....no little pain in the ass adapters.

There are a few positives of polished SS rods over coated. Personally, I'm never getting a coated rod again if I don't have to.

Unfortunately a lot of people believe the myth that an uncoated rod will hurt their barrel.

There are a few positives of polished SS rods over coated. Personally, I'm never getting a coated rod again if I don't have to.

Unfortunately a lot of people believe the myth that an uncoated rod will hurt their barrel.
I never understood that theory/argument. (someone please explain)

A bullet traveling at 3000 fps, creating an enormous amount of heat, pressure and friction, down a barrel vs a rod being pushed with the human hand...

I never understood that theory/argument. (someone please explain)

A bullet traveling at 3000 fps, creating an enormous amount of heat, pressure and friction, down a barrel vs a rod being pushed with the human hand...
Relative hardness, one material is much more likely to scratch or dent the second if the former is relatively harder.

However, the uncoated, highly polished, relatively hard stainless rods have a following because they pick up less dirt and don't deteriorate over time

Softer type surface rods are carbon fiber and plastic/coated steel.

The downside wit these "softer" surfaces is they may present risk of abrasion risk once they are worn down.

So, the theory goes at least...each school of thought has its followers.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Another advantage to the uncoated rods is that they will be stiffer then the same diameter coated rod.

May as well tag in @Frank Green, I know he's seen a barrel or two that have been wrecked due to poor cleaning practices. Any thoughts on coated versus uncoated cleaning rods?