• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for advice on an X Y table or rotary table

Nooch13

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ocala, FL
So I’m looking to do a small amount of form 1 suppressor work for myself. I’m not forming the baffles, but I will need to bore and clip them. I already have a really nice old Milwaukee stand up drill press. I’m looking for an X Y axis table so I can center a chuck and/or a rotary table . Any suggestions or other ideas?

Palmgren makes one.

Used ones pop up on ebay occasionally.

I have a similar setup. You'll be better off using a front mount 4 jaw chuck, either independant, or scroll, so the screw pattern will work with the perpendicular t-slots. I like 4 jaw independant chucks for this type of work. The ability to move parts off center, or work with square or rectangular parts comes in handy.

I originally had a 3 jaw scroll chuck on mine, but because of the 120° screw pattern, I had to use a 5 inch chuck mounted to a 6" back plate, with the 4 screws spaced around the perimeter of the back plate.

Vertex makes rotary tables with 120° t-slots, to accommodate 3 jaw front mount chucks, but it doesn't have an integral cross slide table. It would need to be mounted to a seperate cross slide table.

A seperate rotary table l like that vertex, that allows either vertical or horizontal mounting on a cross slide table is handy for indexing / milling or drilling features around the circumference of a part.

Some recent rotary table work, converting this:

To this:

make link

Last edited:
Reactions: Nooch13
You could put a V-jaw on one side of your vise then friction bolt it to the table. Tap it into position using an indicator in the chuck, then tighten it down. That will get you repeatability to do the bores. Just keep the jaws clean of chips.

A little redneck, but if you're only doing a few, it might save you some money. Unless you're like me and like to get the tool so you will have it when needed again .. later .. in the future .. it's on the shelf .. under the dust .. but I got one when I need it.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Nothing like another sip of coffee to make one notice this is a two year old question. Oh well.