• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for Advice on building vs buying an Mk12 Mod 0

CCRBUM

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2009
I've been itching for a new build since I finished my 308 and was planning on doing a bolt action rifle until my oldest son said he was interested in learning how to build a rifle. This is redirected me back to the AR platform and building something in 5.56 for the 2 of us to plink around with. I had a build planned out for us and it was going to cost around $1500 without optics... Now I've always wanted a Mod 0 and I figured if we are going to build something why not that? I've spent a lot of time reading up on some of the companies that offer a factory Mod 0 and I think I've settled on PRI which would put me in the $2k range. From what I've looked up, I can do a decent Mod 0 build for around the same price and yes I realize I can buy cheaper parts and build something for less or build something superior for the same price but I'm set on the Mod 0. My biggest question is for those of you who have been in the same boat did you build or buy and why? I'm comfortable with building but I also like the idea of if there is a problem I can call the build company vs going through all the trouble shooting and trying to figure out what I screwed up on... this also removed the fun of my son getting to build something.. BUT I get my Mod 0 and he gets a cool rifle to shoot!

Depends...how "correct" do you want the Mod0 upper to be? The PRI is very close but its no a 1:1 clone for 95% of people no one will ever know. Only way you'll get 1:1 is building yourself or talking with High Caliber Sales.

In either case...I say build it. You can get every part PRI puts into theirs easily and its not too complicated to put together. What you do get is a bonding/learning experience with your son and the opportunity to put things together better (potentially depending on you). Things like bedding the extension into the receiver or truing the receiver, loctiting some components, etc.

any issues with assembling the PRI gen 3 rail system?

any issues with assembling the PRI gen 3 rail system?

If i remember right its just a holed barrel nut with the sleve nut behind it. The hand guard has 2 locating pins you align with the barrel nut and screw the sleeve nut onto it and tighten with a strap wrench.

update with a question...

So I've got my lower assembled. and starting to work on my upper. Looking at barrel options now. my goal is to get a douglas barrel from CLE but I'm also considering saving a little and getting a barrel through white oak. quality wise, will I see a big different between the two? Any other options in the $300 - $400 price range I should look at with the appropriate shelf for the ops inc collar?

The White Oak barrels are fantastic. Mine shoots everything from 55gr HPFB to 77gr SMK well.

As to the collar and brake, IMO a black barrel looks like a black barrel. Clone correct, no but who's going to know but you? However without the ability to hook up the Ops12/AEM5 can its just another SPR.

BTW, the AEM5 is a wonderful suppressor. If you live somewhere that you can own one do yourself a favor and buy one.

good to know on the white oak barrel. As much as I'd like the douglas, I think the white oak will work sufficiently for me and I can put the different in to other parts.

update with a question...

So I've got my lower assembled. and starting to work on my upper. Looking at barrel options now. my goal is to get a douglas barrel from CLE but I'm also considering saving a little and getting a barrel through white oak. quality wise, will I see a big different between the two? Any other options in the $300 - $400 price range I should look at with the appropriate shelf for the ops inc collar?
Centurion Arms has a douglas mk12. They sell all the PRI stuff as well. Small arms solutions has a discount code for parts or complete upper. The 10% off gets you in the $400 price range.
Small Arms Solutions code at bottom
MK12 Barrel

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsp556
good to know on the white oak barrel. As much as I'd like the douglas, I think the white oak will work sufficiently for me and I can put the different in to other parts.
How did yours turn out? I'm in the same pickle. Build or buy...

How did yours turn out? I'm in the same pickle. Build or buy...
Come out great. Ended up selling it to fund some other projects but I’d build again vs buying. For me I like tracking down the parts and building it out.

Come out great. Ended up selling it to fund some other projects but I’d build again vs buying. For me I like tracking down the parts and building it out.
Which parts did you end up with? Currently looking at using SOLGW lower and upper, PRI most everything else and bartlein barrel, but the barrel alone is like $750...

i shopped around for PRI parts and scavenged stuff off the px in the hide here. Check optics planet for PRI parts because they will have sales frequently. Barrel, upper and lower I used what I had sitting around. Lpk was a BCM kit and I dropped in an ssa-e trigger. Stock I got a sopmod off the px

I didn’t care about ours being correct and figured I’d make the clone heads lose sleep so I built a Valkyrie on a mega receiver with an ASR mounted can. I love it and wouldn’t change a thing but I’ll always choose build over buy. The handguard and top rail are what really give it the look so that’s all I needed to scratch the itch. Plus commenting gave me an excuse to post the pic.

Edit- aaaand just realized it’s a zombie thread. But the pic is still going here! 👇🏻
36B19796-BAA5-473B-997B-56A5EDE11C54.jpeg

Reactions: CCRBUM
Which parts did you end up with? Currently looking at using SOLGW lower and upper, PRI most everything else and bartlein barrel, but the barrel alone is like $750...

You need to shop around for a better price. My kreiger spr barrel from CLE was $450. It’s the same price for a Bartlein last I knew.

I would rather die.

Having had both the mod 1 and mod 0 the mod 0 is much lighter.
🤷‍♂️ I saved probably 30% by getting parts through them for my Mod 0 build. I realize they can be rough to deal with that times but I’ve had good success for the most part.