• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for Advice on bullets and dies

remr5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Maryland
Hello, I have a .308 Rem 700ss 5R 20' and use a YHM Phantom Hill suppressor.

My shooting buddy has the same gun except he has the stock 24' barrel.

I want to find a load that will work great from 0 yds to 1200 yds. We are shooting at paper targets and steel. But zombies could also be engaged. We currently shoot Federal 168,175grn gold metal. My rifle loves Hornady 168 amax but I get the federal ammo cheap. I know the 168 amax bullet is very good in my gun and I would say better than the Federal gold metal 168 grn or 175 grn at 600 yds and in.

I'm looking at shooting the 178grn amax bullet in Winchester brass. Is this a good choice?

I would also like to know what die set I should buy. I have a single stage Rock Chucker right know but I want to buy a multi stage press. Is the Redding comp die set worth the money over their other die sets? There is quiet a difference in price.Thank you for your help.

Re: Looking for Advice on bullets and dies

the serious and salty do a single stage press
the federal brass is regarded to be softer that others
buy the best dies you can afford
savvy the 178's, they load exactly like the 175's

complete your profile if you had not already

I recommend Forster BR dies. Every bit as good as Redding and about 1/2 the price.

Do you use the neck sizer or the full length sizer?

For long range shooting you need a high BC bullet like 155 grain Lapua Scenar or 155 grain Berger. Varget powder works well. Check out Hodgdon's website for loading details.

For dies, they all work. I have Lee and Redding and I like the Redding a little better, but Lee neck sizer, Redding competition seater and Lee full length sizer would be a good combo. You don't need a crimp die. RCBS dies are good from what I hear, no real experience with them.

As for a press, most of us loading precision rifle ammo, use a single stage. Your rock chucker is fine.

This is just my opinion...

Presses-
I like single stage presses. Forster Co-Ax and RCBS presses are rock solid.

Brass-
Lapua and Norma brass is the best stuff. Win brass is also good but will need more prep work.

Dies-
I like FL sizing dies. Keeps everything simple. Forster dies offer excellent value for money. Not the cheapest, but close to the best for half the price of a Redding die set.

Bullets-
Lapua Scenar 155. Sierra 175MK, 155SMK, Berger, Hornady amax are all very good bullets. Find one that has the right price, right availability for you and stick with that.

Is there a difference to neck sizing vs full length sizing? Or is this another can of worms I'm opening? I have reloaded 45 pistol and this will be my first at rifle ammo.

175's, 168's don't stay sonic out that far.

Neck sizing if the brass is from your rifle. Full length if from somebody elses or if being shot in a semi auto. I've seen that after the third or fourth firing you may need to full length size but I haven't loaded anything that many times.

Thanks, does anyone anneal thier brass? is this worth doing?

Your suppressor gives you an extra 100fps...?

Your bullet has already left your barrel by the time it's going thru your suppressor.. You may have got a corrupt reading from the muzzle blast without it, then a different reading with it on, but it can't speed the bullet up
wink.gif

+1 178 amax
Good luck!

GfunkUK, I have heard the argument on both sides of the case. I can only say for sure that the readings are both consistant with and without the suppressor. So not to go off on another topic, I withdraw my statement about the speed of the bullet as it does not really make a big difference. But it is good topic to ponder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remr5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, does anyone anneal thier brass? is this worth doing? </div></div>

Yes I do and I think once you understand how to do it and have the technique down, its a great process that aids in reducing group sizes.

For a "bolt" gun, if I have brass that has been fired in THAT gun, I prefer to neck size it. No messy lube, ect.. But, make sure each piece of brass will cycle in your rifle, after neck sizing, but, BEFORE reloading it. If it doesn't fit, you may have to bump back the shoulders a bit.

In all the .308s I've shot, the Lapua, 155 grain scenars have been the most accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remr5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GfunkUK, I have heard the argument on both sides of the case. I can only say for sure that the readings are both consistant with and without the suppressor. So not to go off on another topic, I withdraw my statement about the speed of the bullet as it does not really make a big difference. But it is good topic to ponder. </div></div>

We'll have to save that one for a brandy and cigar in the gentleman's club!
smile.gif

"Is the Redding comp die set worth the money over their other die sets? There is quiet a difference in price."

Those who buy them usually think so. Those who don't usually disagree. ??

Redding's Comp seater is a copy of the Forster Ultra Benchrest seater, introduced after Forster's patent expired. The UB is cheaper, but every bit as good by most accounts, and better by some (search for redding competition seater and compressed loads). Forster also sells the same die body and guts, just with a conventional screw seating depth adjustment. Same accuracy, just without the micrometer, and a lot cheaper still.

Andy

It sounds like bells and whistles for sale. I think I will give RCBS fl competition die a try. Does anyone know if I will need a extended shell holder for my rock chucker?