• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for advice on rifle selection

NameRequired

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2020
I have been thinking about expanding my horizons beyond pistols and getting a single rifle which could be good for hunting (Deer/Hogs in Tennessee & Alabama @ ~150-230 yd shots in my normal grounds) and recreational plinking/precision shooting*.

I had decided on an AR in 6.5 Grendel. However, between the recent panic buying and the increasing likelihood of changes in federal fire arms laws, I have started to look more closely into bolt action alternatives. If I went with bolts, I’d want something chambered in either .243 win or 308. While the Grendel I got to experiment with was fun, I figure I might as well take advantage of stronger/faster/more plentiful rounds if I can. But I'd like to keep as many of the features I had been able to compile into the AR build I had been looking at as possible.

These were:
1) Under 7 lbs. with magazine but without optics (lighter is welcomed but not critical).
2) A 20-24" barrel capable of dealing multiple shots (15-20 in a minute span) without significant heating/wear. The listed round count is assuming that's even reasonable to expect with these calibers in a bolt rifle**.
3) Moderate aftermarket support is welcome.
4) Under $1k is ideal but if it goes over a hundred or two, so be it.

Again, .243 or 308 is preferred but I'm open to alternatives or sticking with 6.5 Grendel if items 1-4 are unattainable otherwise***.

I have found a few manufacturers that hit most of these points but am unsure of the heat/wear aspect of item 2:
Tikka(t3x), Winchester (Model 70), Weatherby (Vanguard), and the Savage (110)

How do these compare in terms of barrel heat buildup/dissipation? Is one of the listed manufacturer/model better in this regard, or is this even the right question to be asking?

* I've no intent to use it in competitions. It more for fun time making long shots or sending lots of rounds down range.
**I've read conflicting reports on the effectiveness of fluting but am open to it.
*** I’m sticking with factory ammo until I’m far more familiar with what I’m doing.

Hi, your specifications for hunting is perfect for the 6.5 Grendel. I have 2 Grendel's. One in an AR platform and one in a bolt gun. The CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel is exactly what you described for your needs. I bought one, my Dad shot it and he bought the CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel for him. The .308 is honestly the safest caliber to buy. Can be found everywhere. The .308 is the most utilitarian cartridge out there in my opinion.

Go 6 or 6.5 creed over .243 to get heavier bullets but a little lighter recoil than 308.

Howa also has the mini action 6.5 grendel. Like you saw, the Grendel is all you need at those ranges. Get a bolt rifle and a matching AR if you wanted.

I did a little bit of digging on both the CZ 527 and the Howa line. It seems the CZ has a very hit or miss reputation and the Howa seems really neat but I'm kind of lost in the catalog on what to even start with. I assume the plinking would be fine with an Oryx?

Oryx chassis version would be slick. Certainly better than the plastic stock, although the Houge is better than most.

If you look through the forum, you will find the Oryx is a well regarded budget chassis.

Check out gunbroker to see more models. There is another chassis model available, has the Luth AR stock on it.

15-20 rounds in a minute? You might want to order a new barrel when you buy the gun. Buy a Tikka.

It looks like I'll do some digging and try to find a place where I can try the CZ/Tikka/Howa out with SD in place.

As for that round count, the plan was to run it on a carbine course a friend of mine has for fun. But if that's a bad idea with bolt guns due to wear and tear, I guess I can let that application slide or get an ar in addition to a bolt gun if it later looks like the long term political winds will become more favorable.

Ummm... the Howa is the Weatherby Vanguard...without the Weatherby name stamped on it. (And they used to be dirt cheap until everyone heard about them 😎.)

I have been thinking about expanding my horizons beyond pistols and getting a single rifle which could be good for hunting (Deer/Hogs in Tennessee & Alabama @ ~150-230 yd shots in my normal grounds) and recreational plinking/precision shooting*.

I had decided on an AR in 6.5 Grendel. However, between the recent panic buying and the increasing likelihood of changes in federal fire arms laws, I have started to look more closely into bolt action alternatives. If I went with bolts, I’d want something chambered in either .243 win or 308. While the Grendel I got to experiment with was fun, I figure I might as well take advantage of stronger/faster/more plentiful rounds if I can. But I'd like to keep as many of the features I had been able to compile into the AR build I had been looking at as possible.

These were:
1) Under 7 lbs. with magazine but without optics (lighter is welcomed but not critical).
2) A 20-24" barrel capable of dealing multiple shots (15-20 in a minute span) without significant heating/wear. The listed round count is assuming that's even reasonable to expect with these calibers in a bolt rifle**.
3) Moderate aftermarket support is welcome.
4) Under $1k is ideal but if it goes over a hundred or two, so be it.

Again, .243 or 308 is preferred but I'm open to alternatives or sticking with 6.5 Grendel if items 1-4 are unattainable otherwise***.

I have found a few manufacturers that hit most of these points but am unsure of the heat/wear aspect of item 2:
Tikka(t3x), Winchester (Model 70), Weatherby (Vanguard), and the Savage (110)

How do these compare in terms of barrel heat buildup/dissipation? Is one of the listed manufacturer/model better in this regard, or is this even the right question to be asking?

* I've no intent to use it in competitions. It more for fun time making long shots or sending lots of rounds down range.
**I've read conflicting reports on the effectiveness of fluting but am open to it.
*** I’m sticking with factory ammo until I’m far more familiar with what I’m doing.
I have a Vanguard in 300 WBY Mag and it’s 0.7 moa gun with high quality factory Ammo and hand loads. My buddy has a Vanguard 2 in 270 WSM and it’s 0.6 moa with hand loads. Unsure of factory but Wby certifies sub moa and include me a target from the factory. Found easily used for $400 in .308. Have money left over for good glass which is important. Otherwise Tikka are hard to beat. Inside 300 yrds all these are all good options with factory Ammo.

Brownells used to sell Howa barreled actions (think they still do). They shoot.

I've had four or five (?) over the last 20 years, and they all shot right at 1/2MOA with handloads. Had one, that I nearly pooped myself, when it printed consecutive 5 shot groups in the .2's. That and a chassis might be a good route for the OP.

Reactions: db2000
Your barrel heat question is a little generic. The T3x comes in any flavor you can imagine, ranging from sporter fluted to heavy varmint. Those two alone the heat will be significantly different. I have a T3x in .308 with the regular sporter contour. I'll shoot 10-15 rounds over maybe a half hour and it's hot to the touch but I wouldn't say it's critical or dangerous to the rifle. It also wouldn't burn me if I wasn't being careful.