• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for advise. Suppressor for 13.9in and 18in 5.56

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Looking to get my first suppressor. Has to be well priced, $800 and less. Low back pressure. I have 2 AR’s that will be getting used.

1 is a 13.9 build that is set up for CQBish shooting and training. I would need a muzzle devise that would meet the 16in length to keep it as a “rifle”. Barrel currently has a pined and welded surefire warcomp but I don’t think I want to spend over 1k on a socom 5.56.

2nd is a 18in SPR build. 3-18 optic. I use mostly for precision shooting like gas gun comps. Also used for hunting from time to time.

I’m drawn to K cans for obvious size and weight benefits and also I’ll be wearing hearing protection anyways. That being said I’m open to larger cans too.

Budget is going to have to be on the cheaper side. I can’t send $1000+ on a can right now.

Otter creek is on the radar due to the appealing price and great reviews. One thing that makes me hesitant is the high back pressure. Pew science, among others, has talked about the very high back pressure.

I have the ability to get an older non-FLOW HUXWRX HX-QD 5.56 TI or the HX-QD 5.56 K for $600ish plus stamp.

Yankee hill has some budget options that have good reviews but by the time I get a muzzle device that meets the 16in requirement and a hub adapter it’s $600+.

Griffen armament recce 5 k looks nice. Did well in the Thunder Beast summit. Griffin has muzzle devices that are long enough. Decent price.

Any advice or suggestions?!

Thank you for your time.

You do realize that you will be well over the $1k mark the time you buy the can, tax stamp, transfer fee, muzzle devices, and cover.

I just picked up my dedicated 556 can and just spent another 500 on muzzle devices. I went with the griffin hrt. Haven’t shot it yet. I like the mounting interface they have on the dual lol cans. Plus they have many options for brakes/flash hiders in different lengths.

I do realize that there additional costs. I’m taking about just the cost of the can itself.

Reactions: jetjock07
    Here's a good contender, the Abel Co. Biscuit (they also have S version):

It's fairly low backpressure. I have no way of quantifying it, except to say that it's much more pleasant to shoot on my Ar15's than my wife's Omega. It's short and stout, and very well built. Works great on precision rifles too, if you ever need it to do double duty. Durable, being 17-4 SS. HUB threads, so you can use your mounting system of choice.

And if you ask @hic28 nicely, you can probably get a SH discount to reduce the price even further :cool:

I have a Biscuit, and absolutely love it. Works excellent on both ar15's and precision bolt guns.

Reactions: LJT88
    Here's a good contender, the Abel Co. Biscuit (they also have S version):

It's fairly low backpressure. I have no way of quantifying it, except to say that it's much more pleasant to shoot on my Ar15's than my wife's Omega. It's short and stout, and very well built. Works great on precision rifles too, if you ever need it to do double duty. Durable, being 17-4 SS. HUB threads, so you can use your mounting system of choice.

And if you ask @hic28 nicely, you can probably get a SH discount to reduce the price even further :cool:

I have a Biscuit, and absolutely love it. Works excellent on both ar15's and precision bolt guns.
    Hit me up, we did just make another version of the biscuit dedicated to 556 that’s been in use for about 8 months and has been showing great numbers.
    IMG_5098.jpeg

I have been impressed with the Flow 5.56. I don't know if it newer baffle technology than the HX QD's but I think it is and IIRC meters better on Pew Sciencethan the older HuxWrx/OSS cans

This one topped the PEW Science charts for quietest muzzle DB for a long time. I'm assuming it's still there?

I have one, and it's a phenomenal can...Don't let the price fool you.

Here's a quick video of it on my 14.5" 5.56 with non-adjustable gas. It ejects them perfectly at 3 o'clock... It's not overpasses at all. The only mod is an H2 buffer to slow down the unlock time and BCG while running suppressed. Rifle runs perfect suppressed and unsuppressed with the same ammo.

I have those barrel-lengthed uppers and have jumped in the HUXWRX cool-aid bucket. I shoot rifles left handed, and am sensitive to ejection- port "ejeculate," and so I really prefer the low-flow. Not having to tune the system is nice, but its really less blow back that sold me. I have experience with Surefire and a DA Nomad to compare.

Should you choose HUX, I'd go with the Ti vs the K. Im not sure either are *quiet* (I tend to shoot them outside and with ear pro) Ti is lighter and less loud.

There was a post on SH I recently read, though not sure if it was a recent post, complaining about the POI shift when going from suppressed to not suppressed; I can't verify that but its potentially an issue given your use scenario.

While it isn't apples and apples, my K is on a 10.5 and works mostly to just lessen the unpleasantness of that barrel length. Its a nice to have but I'd not choose it as a first suppressor.

Avoid a standard baffle design at all costs. I have a Sierra 5 that I use on a 12.5" piston gas gun as well as a 16" DI gas gun. Both have adjustable gas blocks. I just pulled the SBR piston BCG and holy hell was it dirty, shockingly so and I'm not sure how the gun was still functioning. Gas was set on the lowest "suppressed" setting. Functioned fine, still lots of gas to the face.

I tried a really good standard baffle can on my 300 blackout Sig Spear LT and while it sounded great, after 20 rapid shots, I was ready to pass out from the gas.

I also have several Huxwrx flow through cans and they do not cause excessive carbon buildup on the BCG. The new Flow 762 is a good bit lighter and more compact than the older version and the hype on it is real. Does very well with a 5.56 cartridge too.

I know those are out of your price range so I would highly suggest looking at Radical Defense and their new flow through cans, the CS5 or LS5. The "K" version is $50 above your budget and the L version is $75 above your budget in both titanium or Haynes 282, a super alloy. The CS5 or "K" titanium version is less than 8oz. and the Haynes version is 14oz. They're 5" long in the K configuration and posted decent numbers in the Thunderbeast big test, better than my Sierra 5. The L version beat out a lot of the standard baffle cans. They're 3D printed as well. I will likely purchase the 30 cal version called the CS3 (or LS3 for the longer version) just so I have options as I own several guns in 308 and 300 blackout. Here's a link to the CS5 for 5.56. https://rdusa.com/products/cs1-suppressor/

Reactions: LJT88
    5.56 is difficult to suppress to the level that noobs typically expect it to sound. When buying a can for a 5.56 AR, take into account all features and warranty, not just dB reduction. You mention you’ll be wearing ears while you shoot, which is good because suppressed ARs are still loud enough to cause damage. As for a recommendation for a specific can, i don’t have one, because i don’t shoot 5.56 or own a 5.56 can.

I appreciate everyone’s input.

I’ll definitely look into the biscuit, I like how short that thing is. I do have a 6.5cm bolt gun set up for comps and general precision shooting so if I could use it for double duty I would.

I do like the huxwrx stuff. I know they aren’t the quietest at the muzzle but the low back pressure and not having to tune the gun would be sweet.

I’m honestly not after the max DB numbers. I’m trying to get my wife into shooting with me and she really didn’t like the loud concussion. Something to take the bite off so to speak to make the shooting experience more enjoyable.

Reactions: kthomas
    While the Flow 5.56K doesn't have the quietest suppression for bystanders it is decent and it beats everybody by quite a bit on at the shooter's ear suppression. That coupled with no tuning and a cleaner gun per round made it an easy choice for me to run on semi autos. Everybody has different needs.

1704479295533.png

Reactions: jafo96 and LJT88
    I’ve been looking around pew science for a while now. I’m not a member so there is probably information I’m not privy to but still a lot of good stuff. The huxwrx stuff does seem to do really well. They also have extendo flash hiders to get my 13.9 barrel to 16 so that’s nice as well.

I like my Recce 5K a lot. Great all around can. I’m just finishing up a review of the Polonium K as well, which I also really like. It’s definitely higher backpressure than the Recce 5K, but I wouldn’t call it high backpressure overall. Both great options, though the Polonium K is HUB if you want that feature.

Edit: Here is the Polo K review.

Last edited:
    If your current 13.9 is accurate/gtg and already has a surefire muzzle device pinned, I'd spend the extra on a surefire suppressor 100% no question

It has a warcomp and it shoots great. The RC2 is great, we shoot them exclusively for work. $1200 though it just too much for me.

Even if I could afford a surefire can I hear the warcomp is not a great mount.

You might want to look at PTP Tactical Master Chief/Senior Chief Suppressors. They are 30 cal cans so would work for your other rifle(s) as well. My muzzle brake for the Chief line measured 2-15/16" long so should give you plenty of room if pinned on your short barrel. They also have a prong flash suppressor if you want to go that way.

I have the Master Chief and use it on both AR's (DI and piston) and bolt guns in many calibers from 30 cal down to 223. It has been my one and done suppressor for rifles, so far, as I hate the waiting. I also purchased their pistol and rimfire suppressors because of the versatility offered.

Looking to get my first suppressor. Has to be well priced, $800 and less. Low back pressure. I have 2 AR’s that will be getting used.

1 is a 13.9 build that is set up for CQBish shooting and training. I would need a muzzle devise that would meet the 16in length to keep it as a “rifle”. Barrel currently has a pined and welded surefire warcomp but I don’t think I want to spend over 1k on a socom 5.56.

2nd is a 18in SPR build. 3-18 optic. I use mostly for precision shooting like gas gun comps. Also used for hunting from time to time.

I’m drawn to K cans for obvious size and weight benefits and also I’ll be wearing hearing protection anyways. That being said I’m open to larger cans too.

Budget is going to have to be on the cheaper side. I can’t send $1000+ on a can right now.

Otter creek is on the radar due to the appealing price and great reviews. One thing that makes me hesitant is the high back pressure. Pew science, among others, has talked about the very high back pressure.

I have the ability to get an older non-FLOW HUXWRX HX-QD 5.56 TI or the HX-QD 5.56 K for $600ish plus stamp.

Yankee hill has some budget options that have good reviews but by the time I get a muzzle device that meets the 16in requirement and a hub adapter it’s $600+.

Griffen armament recce 5 k looks nice. Did well in the Thunder Beast summit. Griffin has muzzle devices that are long enough. Decent price.

Any advice or suggestions?!

Thank you for your time.
    The Ecco Machine Five by Five was built for your needs. I have 1 and 2 more in jail and I love it for the size. https://www.eccomachine.net/product/five-by-five/

20230415_172746.jpg

You might want to look at PTP Tactical Master Chief/Senior Chief Suppressors. They are 30 cal cans so would work for your other rifle(s) as well. My muzzle brake for the Chief line measured 2-15/16" long so should give you plenty of room if pinned on your short barrel. They also have a prong flash suppressor if you want to go that way.

I have the Master Chief and use it on both AR's (DI and piston) and bolt guns in many calibers from 30 cal down to 223. It has been my one and done suppressor for rifles, so far, as I hate the waiting. I also purchased their pistol and rimfire suppressors because of the versatility offered.
    With all due respect, I think there are many, many better options at the price. This can is very heavy and pretty long; this is about 10-15 years behind current tech.

With all due respect, I think there are many, many better options at the price. This can is very heavy and pretty long; this is about 10-15 years behind current tech.

Looks like some tough cans to me. 9" and 20oz ain't bad. Probably suppresses very well

Looks like some tough cans to me. 9" and 20oz ain't bad. Probably suppresses very well
    7.5” showed .308 at 140db. Meanwhile, at around the same price the Nomad shows 137db at 6.5” and 14oz. The MG7K at about 60% of the price is 5.5”, 11oz, and 146db. So yes, I’m sure it’s durable and fairly quiet, I just think there’s plenty of better options out there (also appears to have a proprietary muzzle device, and not HUB threaded).

It has a warcomp and it shoots great. The RC2 is great, we shoot them exclusively for work. $1200 though it just too much for me.

Even if I could afford a surefire can I hear the warcomp is not a great mount.
    If you think the RC2 is great, then you'd nut your pants with a Polonium... 😂

It's very easy to drill-out a pin weld, enough to safely twist off the muzzle device without damaging the threads and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the other half of the pin that's still in the barrel... I've done it a few times. Just take your time, and be sure to drill deep enough to get past the minor diameter of the muzzle threads, the excess should just twist off with the muzzle device. That's what I've done with mine. Or take it to a local smith and have them drill it, and put a new device on there and pin it, and pop a spot-weld on it to hold the pin in place. Shouldn't take him very long, he can probably do it while you're standing there in like 15 minutes.

You should checkout the TBAC Magnus-HUB, Dead Air Nomad-LT, and Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L if you think a 20oz 9" can is good... 😂

Like was stated by @Bluedog82 , that 20 oz 9" can is WAY behind on technology. We have 9" titanium cans now weighing in the 12-15 oz. range, and holding up to some very heavy use, and getting down into the 120db range.