• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for Amish or Non Wealthy Gunsmith

AKAce

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Mid TN
www.koenigspr.com
I'm looking for a Gunsmith that <span style="font-weight: bold">Wants Work</span>, is <span style="text-decoration: underline">Reasonably</span> priced and can install a brake in a <span style="font-style: italic">reasonable amount of time</span>. I have been Quoted from $65 - $300 ! But Nobody seems to be able to chuck something in a lathe and thread in in under a couple Weeks.. Or they Claim they can but go AWOL lol. Needless to say I am Frustrated...

Re: Looking for Amish or Non Wealthy Gunsmith

I highly recommend Mark at www.shortactioncustoms.com He has done multiple barrel threading for me. All have been very timely and very reasonable priced. I would not hesitate to send him any of my stuff. He threads the barrel within .001" concentric to the bore. Cant ask for more.

E-mail sent to mark, thanks for the recommendation ! Hopefully he's not to busy... I am going Apeshit needing to get loads worked up before upcoming Shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">E-mail sent to mark, thanks for the recommendation ! Hopefully he's not to busy... I am going Apeshit needing to get loads worked up before upcoming Shoot. </div></div>

he is busy working on my build.....aren't you mark
smile.gif

And horse drawn lathes...

I drove by an Amish farm while they were baling hay with a horse drawn baler. I about went off the road watching it. Strange folk, all the mechanical thought in that baler but God forbid a mechanical engine powers it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Amish have guns ? </div></div>

more than you might think!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Amish have guns ? </div></div>

LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drove by an Amish farm while they were baling hay with a horse drawn baler. I about went off the road watching it. Strange folk, all the mechanical thought in that baler but God forbid a mechanical engine powers it. </div></div>
I have to say that I admire how they live though.... They are not caught up in all the crap that is tearing this country to peices and their familys seem to be very strong and together. Many of them hunt about 15 miles from where I live. Nice folk and talented at breaking / training horses and making all kinds of stuff from furniture to candles,etc,etc.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Amish have guns ? </div></div>

more than you might think! </div></div>
Are they made of wood
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Amish have guns ? </div></div>

more than you might think! </div></div>
Are they made of wood
grin.gif
</div></div>
They come into our local hunting and fishing store all the time to buy stuff like we buy stuff, they just hire people to drive them around......... I bet they could make a mean wooden stock though...............SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly recommend Mark at www.shortactioncustoms.com He has done multiple barrel threading for me. All have been very timely and very reasonable priced. I would not hesitate to send him any of my stuff. He threads the barrel within .001" concentric to the bore. Cant ask for more. </div></div>

I hate to correct you, but your missing a zero!

.0001" concentric

"he is busy working on my build.....aren't you mark"

Doug, does thinking about working on it count??? Haha I'm getting to it.

Mark

When you buy a 2x4 from the Amish, it actually measures as such...2 inches by 4!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drove by an Amish farm while they were baling hay with a horse drawn baler. I about went off the road watching it. Strange folk, all the mechanical thought in that baler but God forbid a mechanical engine powers it. </div></div>
I have to say that I admire how they live though.... They are not caught up in all the crap that is tearing this country to peices and their familys seem to be very strong and together. Many of them hunt about 15 miles from where I live. Nice folk and talented at breaking / training horses and making all kinds of stuff from furniture to candles,etc,etc.....SmokeRolls
</div></div>

Im with you on that. I honestly wouldnt mind living like that myself except maybe with A/C

very happy with the bolt knobs mark has installed for me .
though they are a bit differnt , amish i have met were very hardworing and honest . cant give a better compliment . plus they make the best food i have eaten . .

I dont know about their guns but the food is wonderful!!!

As has been previously stated I would check with Rett at Hooper Ordnance. I sent him a .308 barrelled action to have the barrel cut down to 18" and threaded for a can in the future. Turn around was about a week and he did a beautiful job with a very nice thread protector which when installed gives the crown a profile similar to that of a Marine Corps recessed crown. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solothurn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hooper Ordnance

He's in Shorter, Alabama. First class work done in a reasonable amount of time.

</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drove by an Amish farm while they were baling hay with a horse drawn baler. I about went off the road watching it. Strange folk, all the mechanical thought in that baler but God forbid a mechanical engine powers it. </div></div>
</div></div>

Im with you on that. I honestly wouldnt mind living like that myself except maybe with A/C</div></div>
I bet somebody could rig up a mule powered AC conditioner or a steam powered one...Just feed the boiler it turns a generator or a compressor.....Voila.......!!!! Hahahahahaha
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly recommend Mark at www.shortactioncustoms.com He has done multiple barrel threading for me. All have been very timely and very reasonable priced. I would not hesitate to send him any of my stuff. He threads the barrel within .001" concentric to the bore. Cant ask for more. </div></div>

I hate to correct you, but your missing a zero!

.0001" concentric

Mark </div></div>

Sorry Mark. Yes I am missing a zero. BTW, what the hell are u doing online? U should be working on the FNAR and Tikka o sent u
wink.gif

Saman

Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville, TN.
3550 Papermill Drive Northwest
Knoxville, TN 37909-1599
(865) 521-0625

They have done a ton of work for me and have always been great. Quality is great and the timeframes have always been quicker than I expected.

Dolomite

Mark @ Short Action Custom just did a Cerakote job for me. Perfect. fast, price is right. give him a try.

Uh, yeah, more than meets the eye, for sure. I hunt with a bunch of Amish guys, and they appreciate good guns, and good glass, as much as the next guy.

One Amish family in particular stands out, though. I'm friends with the boys (Amish preacher's sons), and have taken them to gun shows. I've seen them buy an AK 47, several M4's, etc. They have some long distance pieces, as well. One custom gun built on a 700 action, with a very nice IOR scope. AR10, with a hot dog optic, as well, I forget which one, NF or some such.

Their dad has told me that if I ever come across a Les Baer AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel, to pick it up for him, sight unseen, price not an issue.

Needless to say, that family is the exception, but there are very, very few Amish homes that don't have guns in them.

Needless to say, that family is the exception, but there are very, very few Amish homes that don't have guns in them.

The ones that don't...We ought to donate some to.